Soloing with the minor pent u start on the root note to solo in what ever key it is right? SO if the key or chord is G u solo 1 position root note is G and do the minor pent scale. Now what i dont understand is there is a relative to every major there is to a minor. U go 2 steps back and say g major its relative minor is Em. For position 2 of the major pent my teacher says to start 2 steps back from the major. Im confused.

1 post minor this would start on G major
0--------0
0--------0
0-----0
0-----0
0-----0
0--------0
e G <---------- is this right?

Its relative minor would be Em
0-----0
0-----0
0------0
0---------0
0---------0
0------0

but when i look at fret board teh notes dont add up. WHat i want to know is how to use these 2 pos to solo. I hope i didnt confuse anyone
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
your talking about playing a minor scale ...over G major
the way your making it out.. playing a minor scale starting on G would be G minor.
You don't have to start on the root note when you are soloing. You can start wherever you think it sounds good!

If you are using the minor pentatonic over a chord progression, then the root note of the scale you use should be the root note of the key of the chord progression.

I'm not sure what you mean about what your teacher said - but the second position starts at where the first position leaves off - so if you are playing 2 notes per string, the upper note on each string for the first position would become the lower note of the second position - all the positions link up like that.

Did that make any sense?