Page 1 of 4
I decided to build a guitar for my Year 12 Design & Technology project. I'm doing a mahogany neckthru with 2 purpleheart laminates and purpleheart body wings.
Here's the details

Purpleheart body
5pc Mahogany/Purpleheart neck
Rosewood fretboard
Hardtail bridge w/string through body
24 jumbo frets
1 volume 1 tone 3 way with coil splits
Dimarzio Steves Special and Air Norton pickups (possibly Steves Special + ToneZone)
All hardware Cosmo Black

Should turn out something like this:

I havent started my other build yet (still waiting for the wood to arrive from Perry) but this one is a go!

Got into the car after the bus dropped me off from school, and what did I see sitting in the passenger seat?

What could it be?

The body is really heavy. It weighs 5kg (11 pounds) and the neck is 4 pounds. But since its neckthru, about 1/3rd of the body wood won't be used.

Wood with body blueprints:

Still need to make some templates from the blueprints

I should be starting in next week!
Wow, that's quite the hefty wood. Sounds like a good project, for sure!

Shipping from USA to Australia? Must've been a pain.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
Wow, that's quite the hefty wood. Sounds like a good project, for sure!

Shipping from USA to Australia? Must've been a pain.

Not really. $100 US which is better than most of the bodies and necks and such on ebay. The place I got it from only charges the actual postage costs, not like the $100 strat bodies with $250 postage you get all over ebay.
good idea not putting on a trem, it'll let the notes really sing

also, really nice natural color
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Yeah, I love the colour. I don't like the grain lines though, the big round growth rings, I'd prefer them to be straight, but its still awesome.

And I dont really need another trem guitar because my other build (haven't started yet) is going to have one.
Quote by littlephil
Not really. $100 US which is better than most of the bodies and necks and such on ebay. The place I got it from only charges the actual postage costs, not like the $100 strat bodies with $250 postage you get all over ebay.

Woah, where'd you nab that?

That's quite cheap, especially since you pretty much ordered a body blank and neck-through pieces in both mahogany and purpleheart. Mahogany being around that price, I could somewhat understand, but purpleheart?

How do these guys make a profit!?
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
Woah, where'd you nab that?

That's quite cheap, especially since you pretty much ordered a body blank and neck-through pieces in both mahogany and purpleheart. Mahogany being around that price, I could somewhat understand, but purpleheart?

How do these guys make a profit!?

That was the postage cost, not the total! The body was $100 and the neck about $60, plus $100 postage! Sorry for the mixup, I didn't word that sentence very well

EDIT: Here's the place anyway. They have some interesting stuff: wenge, curly korina, white korina and more.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Christopher-Tonewood
Last edited by littlephil at Mar 23, 2009,
Ah, no worries. I thought it'd be odd that a place was charging only for shipping costs.

Not a bad set of woods there. I took a quick look, and wow... I'm quite taken with that leopardwood fingerboard. Looks a bit distracting.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
looks great! keep us all updated on this!

are you going to use toung oil for finish or are you going to do laquer clear?
Quote by POWERMETAL!
looks great! keep us all updated on this!

are you going to use toung oil for finish or are you going to do laquer clear?

I was planning on an oil finish but I've heard that if you oil purpleheart it starts to go brown, so I may lacquer it. Or lacquer the body and oil the back of the neck.
what program did u use to make the mockup? it doesn't look like RGbuilder
I'm glad to see another purple heart guitar being built. A warning though, purple heart is a pain in the ass to work with and it's heavy as sin, but it looks great and has nice sustain. This reminds me, I need to get around to finishing my purple heart strat eventually
Quote by Stoney93
what program did u use to make the mockup? it doesn't look like RGbuilder

Kisekae. I used it because there's way more options than the RG builder
100 bucks for the body alone? That comes out to like $15 per board foot (depending on the dimensions of that blank)

Regardless, it's good to see another purpleheart build! I really like the grain on the body blank. Adding mahogany was a good idea to balance out the tone. I hope you're also a bodybuilder because this guitar is going to weigh about as much as one of those Dan Armstrong/B C Rich plexiglass models.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
100 bucks for the body alone? That comes out to like $15 per board foot (depending on the dimensions of that blank)

Regardless, it's good to see another purpleheart build! I really like the grain on the body blank. Adding mahogany was a good idea to balance out the tone. I hope you're also a bodybuilder because this guitar is going to weigh about as much as one of those Dan Armstrong/B C Rich plexiglass models.

It is pretty heavy The body is 5kg but since its neckthrough I'm going to be cutting out 1/3rd of the body, plus the cutaways etc, so I'm hoping to be able to cut that in half. The neck isnt heavy at all. The whole blank is only 4 pounds.
i'd still go with the oil, it may not be as pronounced purple but i'm fairly sure it stays purple, Atomic Guitar Works, the shop i apprentice at uses it for the center stripe in some of our 3 piece necks, with an oil finish, still looks purple.

and the oil will give the whole guitar a more earthy vibe, i think it'll be very cool.

more pics ???
Purpleheart will not stay purple, it will turn brown over time

I would look into UV resistant lacquers.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
the JEM monkey grip thing is on the blue print, but not the mockup, are you having that?
Either way, looks pretty cool =P
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
the JEM monkey grip thing is on the blue print, but not the mockup, are you having that?
Either way, looks pretty cool =P

The blueprints are for a JEM777, It was the only RG shape blueprint plans I could find. I'm not doing the grip or the lions claw, its just for the outline and routing.
Quote by Absent Mind
Purpleheart will not stay purple, it will turn brown over time

I would look into UV resistant lacquers.

I've heard that Tung oil will stop it going brown. I googled purpleheart finishes or something and got a furniture building site and someone had built a purpleheart table and tung oiled it and it stayed purple.
Quote by POWERMETAL!
i'd still go with the oil, it may not be as pronounced purple but i'm fairly sure it stays purple, Atomic Guitar Works, the shop i apprentice at uses it for the center stripe in some of our 3 piece necks, with an oil finish, still looks purple.

and the oil will give the whole guitar a more earthy vibe, i think it'll be very cool.

more pics ???

I'm probably going to tung oil it anyway.
No more pics, havent started it since I have to build it at school
I'm going to start some routing templates today (probably)
Last edited by littlephil at Mar 28, 2009,
i have the same exact blue print hanging on my wall as a poster (call me obsessed, i dare ya )

anyways, does the body seem small to you? i compared it to my other guitars and it seemed a little too small, but the measurements all match up and its sized correctly.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
i have the same exact blue print hanging on my wall as a poster (call me obsessed, i dare ya )

anyways, does the body seem small to you? i compared it to my other guitars and it seemed a little too small, but the measurements all match up and its sized correctly.

Well, its not meant to be a big guitar, its meant to be comfortable.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
holy **** you're doing the air norton/steve's special combo too?

good luck, bud.

Yep, Petrucci fan here! I might change them though, i'm not 100% sure what I really want.
Quote by littlephil
Well, its not meant to be a big guitar, its meant to be comfortable.

Yep, Petrucci fan here! I might change them though, i'm not 100% sure what I really want.

i'll probably be doing the old school petrucci combo (air norton, steve's special) on my RG560 rebuild and the newer petrucci combo on my RG1570.

either way keep us updated
UPDATES!
I've officially started this build! WOOHOO!
Not much done yet.
Cut the neck blank and glued the laminates. Still have to join the 2 outer pieces, I'll do that Monday. I know some guys glue and clamp all 5 pieces at the same time but its my first build so I'm taking it slow
PICS!

You guys are never missing out on pics because I have to photograph every stage of the build for my design folio.
It reminds me of this:

all neck throughs are instantly awsome in my book though.
Looking forward to this one. Slow and steady is the way to go mate
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
its missing f holes in your mock up XD
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Looks awesome so far, better to take it slow than to **** it all up.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Long time, no updates.
Until now! I had the pics on the computer at school, but I never had time to upload them. Finally did it today!

Outer neck pieces glued.

Scarf joint cut and glued

After the clamps came off and I sanded the join down a bit

Also thicknessed the body yesterday. It isnt as purple anymore
But supposedly leaving it in the sun will make it purple again
Last edited by littlephil at May 19, 2009,
Just let it air out, it'll purplize on its own.

I love this build, but like I said before, it's going to weigh about a million pounds!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
What a beauty...

The purple is just to die for.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
What a beauty...

The purple is just to die for.

I love it too! The colour is a fair bit lighter now though, since I thicknessed it.
Nice woods! but don't put the purpleheart in the sun!!!! Sunlight is what makes it go brown(actually only the UV-part) As long as you don't put her in front of the window she should stay nice and purple
Iced earth!!!!!!!
^ + 1 if you want it to stay purple into the future I suggest a UV blocking clear lacquer.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
this is looking really nice man.

I suggest cutting out the body wings to the rough shape before gluing. helps out so much more in future stages.
Yeah, Im definitely going to do that, so I can cut the cavity covers out of the excess. It will be a little harder to clamp though.
Wow.... I just saw some purpleheart for the first time in person yesterday at a lumber yard, and it was foxy. Good luck with the build!
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Thanks! I just paid for the hardware for it (excluding electronics and side dots) so that should be here later in the week
Page 1 of 4