I'm currently assembling a (very low budget) guitar to use mainly as a slide guitar, at this stage a Squire body and neck. I've got a couple of questions. First, seeing as I'm going to be using this guitar almost exclusively for slide will I need to/should I change the nut, or will the nut on the neck I've got at the moment be ok?

Secondly, does anyone have any wiring suggestions? At the moment I've only got some Squire single coils lying around (I'll try and pick up a couple of hums once the budget allows), I was thinking of just using two, in the neck and bridge; is it worth putting a neck pickup in a slide guitar? Also, is it worth trying anything interesting with the wiring or should I just stick to volume/tone?

Thanks for any help!
I'd keep the stock nut and just raise the action. If you need more you can always replace the nut later.

If you're only using 2 single coils I'd suggest doing a series/parallel mod. I don't know what you have on hand, but if you can pick up a 4-way tele switch that would be the slickest way to do it.

Also check out the Ultimate Wiring Diagrams thread, you may find an idea you like there.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by Kiwi Ace
I'm currently assembling a (very low budget) guitar to use mainly as a slide guitar, at this stage a Squire body and neck. I've got a couple of questions. First, seeing as I'm going to be using this guitar almost exclusively for slide will I need to/should I change the nut, or will the nut on the neck I've got at the moment be ok?
It depends on what YOU want. Some slide players use a nut with the slots cut to an even depth. Same with their bridge saddle heights. That puts all the strings in the same plane - not in a radius. By doing this, you can make contact with ALL the strings on your slide.

But it really depends on your personal preference.
Quote by Kiwi Ace
Secondly, does anyone have any wiring suggestions? At the moment I've only got some Squire single coils lying around (I'll try and pick up a couple of hums once the budget allows), I was thinking of just using two, in the neck and bridge; is it worth putting a neck pickup in a slide guitar? Also, is it worth trying anything interesting with the wiring or should I just stick to volume/tone?

Thanks for any help!
If the pickups are from a Strat, use the bridge and middle so they hum-cancel when used together. Put the middle pickup at the neck if you like, or use it more in a middle position if you prefer. Consider using a Tele 4-way switch and wire it for
Bridge
Bridge in parallel with Neck
Bridge in series with Neck
Neck

OR get a 5-way SuperSwitch and wire it for those combinations plus Bridge in series with Neck out of phase.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yeah, keeping the parts easy to get and cheap would be a good idea.

you can wire that standard Fender style 3-way to get Bridge, Bridge in parallel with Neck, Bridge in series with Neck, if you like.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.