omg
i am in tonal bliss
and it only cost me the price of 2, count one, two
cost me 2, 1-meg pots.
the first didn't have enough of a thread-shaft to mount onto the face of my guitar (se below )
but the next one i get will have... even if its NOT a push/pull 1-meg'er
i'll drill a hole for a dpdt switch

but to get back to my original intention of this thread, is that if your NECK humbucker sounds muted and dull as compared to your bridge humbucker.
then replace the NECK pickup's volume control with a 1-meg poteniometer.

i'm laid flat by the difference.
i was thinking about getting a custom set of pickups made by High Order Pickups
and the dude was AWESOME!!!!!
100% Props to High Order for NON-customer service and SUPPORT!!!!

but i just decided to try a 1-meg vol-pot in place of the 500K vol-pot. and Holy Mother of GOD!!! if your neck pickup just doesn't have enough of "something"? try this.
Hmm, sounds like an interesting mod. Fairly cheap too, if you've got a soldering iron already handy. It's what, about $4-7 bucks for the 1 Meg pot.

I may have to try that out, although I've only got a master volume. I'll give it some thought.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Doesn't a 1m ohm pot technically remove all tonal differentiation?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Doesn't a 1m ohm pot technically remove all tonal differentiation?

don't know exactly what it does, except it made the pickup quite a bit brighter. now the neck pickup (dimarzio super-2) matches the bridge pickup (tone zone) much more closely in tone.
where as before the neck pickup sounded like the bridge pickup with the tone knob turned 3/4 the way down.
i'll do a recording comparison between the neck/bridge soon. i've got both clean and high gain
Quote by WinterSteel
Hmm, sounds like an interesting mod. Fairly cheap too, if you've got a soldering iron already handy. It's what, about $4-7 bucks for the 1 Meg pot.

I may have to try that out, although I've only got a master volume. I'll give it some thought.

you kind of need separate volume pots. or else the bridge pickup is going to change in the same way as well.
i did this change to get the neck pickup to better match the bridge pickup in terms of tone.
I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'm sure it's still a valid mod if you think both of the pickups would need a bit of brightening.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'm sure it's still a valid mod if you think both of the pickups would need a bit of brightening.

Would probably make most bridge pickups too trebly. If you're going to do it it's probably worth wiring individual volumes in or even having the neck pickup bypass the volume control completely.
Damn...guess I'll wait until I've got another guitar to work on. I'd rather not try and create another pot spot, as I do use my tone knob on occasion (especially for clean work), and would rather not get rid of it.

I've got a 1 volume 1 tone config, for the record.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
I'd just like to put my opinion that I don't like my neck to sound like my bridge. I prefer that fat sound. Idk thats just what I like. Although I think its cool that you're experimenting.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Wait wait, if the volume pot is at 100% i.e. variable resistor is set to 0 Ohms, how will the value of the pot affect the sound?
But, I mean that every pot of every value is the same when they are rolled all the way up (no resistance), so how can it make a difference?
A 1 meg pot is the next best thing to having no pot at all if you want a brighter sound.

Any potentiometer will dampen the sound of your guitar. This is part of the reason that a stock Stratocaster wiring setup sounds so bright in the bridge pickup compared to the other pickups even when the controls are all dimed-- no tone pot in the signal chain vs 250k pots in the middle and neck.

I like the variation between neck and bridge, myself. I do have a one-pickup axe that I want to add more brightness and output to, and I've considered switching in a 1-meg pot next time I open it up. Generally I prefer 250k's for most applications cause of the smoother roll-off.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
You knoe how a cyrbaby is till connected to the input even when bypassed? The pot is kinda like that in that it loads the signal. I don't really know how to explain it...

The track is always connected to both outside lugs, so they are always in the circuit, regardless of the wiper's position. Since a pot is grounded at one end, the treble freqs are 'drained' out of thed signal. The higher the resistance, the fewer freqs can be drained. Or something.
mmm, I still dont get it :\

If the inside of a pot looks like this:

And if the connected lugs are A and W, and the wiper is all the way counterclockwise, it doesn´t matter how much would the resistor element be, as it's almost a shortcircuit between A and W, if it makes any sense...
No, the current flows on the strip from lug a to lug W via the wiper. It gets to be a smaller signal as the resistance increases.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^Yes, but IF the wiper is all the way counterclockwise, every pot should act the same, which is virtually no potentiometer.
Quote by sesstreets
I'd just like to put my opinion that I don't like my neck to sound like my bridge. I prefer that fat sound. Idk thats just what I like. Although I think its cool that you're experimenting.

Agreed brother, glad you got yourself some sick tone tho'! Congrats,

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Thats how a pot worked xD

So if you connect it from a to b its a fixed amount of resistance?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Ahh, ground. I didn't notice one of the lugs was connected to ground.

So, if the pickup hot is connected to A, the jack to W and B to ground, there's always a certain amount of signal going to ground, so it does matter the value of the pot wherever the wiper is. That right? thanks then