Hey, just needed some help on what scales i should use to improvise over a chord progression of D,A,G. You hear these kind of chord patterns in like Pop punk rock songs. What scales can i use over those chords?
Thanks
well sounds like you're in d major, so use that scale, major pentatonic, b minor/minor pentatonic etc
gear:
Charvel 750XL w/ Duncan SH15
Squier Affinity HSS strat
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Quote by krumpinjugger
well sounds like you're in d major, so use that scale, major pentatonic, b minor/minor pentatonic etc

where the hell do you get b minor and b major from?

It's going to be D major for a poppy punk feel, but D minor will work and sound good despite not being technically correct.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

It's going to be D major for a poppy punk feel, but D minor will work and sound good despite not being technically correct.

Hooray for parallel minor
What's pop punk?

Last time I checked, punk was a movement against pop, musically as well as socially.

Name some artists you like, cause this is vague.

It's either popular or anti popular.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
What's pop punk?

Last time I checked, punk was a movement against pop, musically as well as socially.

Both are frequently treated as genres rather than movements. For an example of pop-punk, see Greenday.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
What's pop punk?

Pop/punk takes the poppy-ness and happyness of pop, with the rawness and heavyness of punk.

Green Day, as stated, is pop/punk... but better bands would be New Found Glory, Four Year Strong (I think) and old A Day to Remember.

To the TS: You would use D Major or D minor, though I would personally stick to D Major as the chords you have are the I-V-IV of D Major.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
What's pop punk?

The genre pop punk is disputed, though lots of people say from todays point of view even The Ramones were a pop punk band. I think most people agree that one of the first pop punk bands was The Buzzcocks.
Todays pop punk are e.g. The Descendents or Screeching Weasel

As the first poster said I´d use a D major scale, i doubt anyone will care if you use a mixolydian or ionian.

The B minor scales fits since D major is the parallel major scale to B minor. You have to think which finger setting you prefer, but I think it also changes the character......

What kinds of chords are you playing btw.? Powerchords or barre?

since when you use powerchords you could use any scale in D, Am, Bm, Gm.....
You CANNOT "play the relative minor or major".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com