Page 1 of 3
Do you guys have any favorite guitarists with terrible tone?
How about a guitarist you don't like, but possess a tone you do like?

here are some of mine:
Matt Tuck: never really felt he was that great a player (could be worse, though), but, for some reason, i really like his tone, especially on the intro solo to "say goodnight"
Shawn Lane: in my mind, the best guitarist ever, but his tone seems really stale
Freddie King: awesome blues, terribly trebly tone
Alexi Laiho: get this dude a neck pickup!
Also, any 14 year old who just started playing that has a marshall half stack they got for christmas (if its an mg, i let it slide)

ok, that last one was just me being jealous, but what about you guys?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
dimebag needs to buy a tube amp and for somereason people still try to market his horrible hissy solid state terribleness. hes the only one i can think of off the top of my head.
for the most part...it seems as though most guitarists have tone that fits the song. i feel like theres only a couple of guitars whos tone fits..but its also just flat out amazing. this is why petrucci wins. amazing songs, amazing composition, STELLAR tone.
funny enough i actually don't listen to music where guitarists have bad tone, drummers and bassists too.
I agree with the above about ywngie.
I really love green day but I know many hate them but he has a killer tone.
Last edited by Ironpriest at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by HIM%(^
dimebag needs to buy a tube amp and for somereason people still try to market his horrible hissy solid state terribleness. hes the only one i can think of off the top of my head.
for the most part...it seems as though most guitarists have tone that fits the song. i feel like theres only a couple of guitars whos tone fits..but its also just flat out amazing. this is why petrucci wins. amazing songs, amazing composition, STELLAR tone.

i like how you said that "He NEEDS to" when in fact even if he wanted to he cant cause hes dead, even though you might of been sarcastic, that was a failed attempt at good sarcasm. And furthermore, not EVERYONE wants a tube sound, even though your own preference is a tube sound, WHICH I admit i love as well, but i also love what a solid state can offer as well.

for the topic i really hate Joe Satchrianis sound, cant stand it really, but thats my opinion, and no i dont care that misspelled his name
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Last edited by heretic-clown at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
I personally detest Yngwie's playing style, tone, and personality but he is a great player.

Agreed.

Anyway, I'll second the Dime thing, but say it's preference. He actually did switch to tube Kranks right before his death, but barely played anything on them.

I'd add Johnny Ramone here, but he couldn't really play that well besides power chords, so he doesn't fit the first, and I don't really think he's got a good tone, so I can't use the second either.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by HIM%(^

He's sort of too dead to do that right now.
Quote by XianXiuHong
He's sort of too dead to do that right now.

*Waits for random and pointless "RIP Dime" post*

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

RIP Dime.

seriously though, i agree with shawn lane, alexi laiho, synyster gates has a great tone IMO, and I agree with Pac-man over Ywngie Malmsteen.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
I think Eric Johnson needs better tone seriously...

no jk Lol

hes also a good player
sry for being off topic >.,<
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by heretic-clown

i really hate Joe Satchrianis sound, cant stand it really, but thats my opinion, and no i dont care that misspelled his name

I think yngwie's tone is great for neoclassical metal. I'm not a big fan of Paul Gilbert's vintage modern tone. Meshuggah's tone is a bit too dry for me but I'm not sure a saturated tube tone would suit their style of music very well.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I find Alexi Laiho's tone too scratchy and trebbly, same thing for Dime but they both are great players and I love the music they play.
I also hated Randy Rhaod's tone on Blizzard of Oz but damn, what a player.
Gear :
Epiphone G400
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Peavey Vypyr 30.

Please excuse my lack of proper spelling and grammar, english isn't my first language.
I've never been a fan of Kieth Richards playing. His tone's ok - pretty generic actually. I doubt he cares what I think.
well theres this blues shred guy in my area, you guys havent heard of him

great guitarist, fantastic tone
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Alexi doesn't need a neck pickup! His leads sound amazing, especially with Sinergy.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
rammstien have an awesome distortion tone, but theyre not really that great guitar wise
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
RAWF Dimebag ..

(rest as worm food)

ROFL Dimebag?
I always liked the sound of a player with a very simple chain. The overly effected and processed tone just kills the whole life of what a guitar should be IMO
dethklok does make SOME serious music, and the players ARE amazing....

for mine,
id say randy, dime, laiho, all have pretty ****ty tone, goddamn though, amazing players.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Ironpriest
I agree with the above about ywngie.
I really love green day but I know many hate them but he has a killer tone.

i agree with Green Day, Billie Joe has amazing tone for their kind of music. from 1,039 to American Idiot :]
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
I don't generally listen to good players if they have horrible tone. I don't like to hurt my ears, even if they can play well.

Eric Johnson always has an amazing tone. I really like alot of Wolfmother's tone and I'm currently listening to a lot of Jet again for some reason. They have a pretty nice distortion tone.

Also have always liked Brad's tone of Sublime.
Alexi Laiho is the only one that comes to mind as a great player with a terrible tone. It sounds so flat and trebley.

Not bad, but I think Unearth's tone is nothing to write home about. Well at least for the rhythm. The lead tone sounds spectacular.

They are not stupendous players, but It Dies Today's tone could use some work.

As for not so good players with good tone. The big standout is Linkin Park. Their tone is amazing. Its so warm and full.

Disturbed also has a really good tone.

Hatebreed also has a really good tone and I have never seen those guitarists go lower than the A string (their G string I guess).

Basically most of the more popular Nu Metal bands had great tone with lackluster players.
Tom DeLonge's tone playing live is vomitable, then again his sig model only has one bridge pickup, a Gibson dirty fingers in a semi hollow of all things. I honestly cant fathom why someone would design their sig model with such limited options, theres only one control, volume! lol.
: )
Quote by stratacaster
I honestly cant fathom why someone would design their sig model with such limited options, theres only one control, volume! lol.

The original Frankenstrat only had a volume knob labelled "tone" and it worked just fine for Eddie, even though he couldn't get the Woman tone.

As for guitarists with bad tone, I really can't think of any guitarist in my collection who has bad tone...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
rammstien have an awesome distortion tone, but theyre not really that great guitar wise

I would agree they have awesome tone. I wouldn't agree that they aren't that great guitar wise. I see what you mean in terms of technical ability, and as far as really exploring guitar work in their songs. But then again, they really don't intend to be guitar heavy. Just a recurring riff that varies throughout the song. I think they do well what they intend to do.

I love Jimmy Page, but not his solos. I don't think he writes solos particularly well, and his tone for solos is always kind of dull to me. Don't know how. His tone otherwise is pretty awesome (especially live around 1975. That stuff is better than their studio works IMO). On the other hand, some of his contemporaries like Joe Walsh and Tommy Shaw always had pretty awesome tones for awesome riffs and solos (Tommy's tones in the solos for Blue Collar Man and Too Much Time On My Hands are awe inspiring).
I agree with whoever said they don't like Satriani's tone. It's wonderful on the upper strings but it often gets flubby and mushy sounding when he runs down to the lower strings.
I think my tone is better than my playing >_> Seems to have gotten to the point that people complement my tone a whole lot more than I would think they would xD
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by necrosis1193
Agreed.

Anyway, I'll second the Dime thing, but say it's preference. He actually did switch to tube Kranks right before his death, but barely played anything on them.

I'd add Johnny Ramone here, but he couldn't really play that well besides power chords, so he doesn't fit the first, and I don't really think he's got a good tone, so I can't use the second either.

Not to nitpick, but Johnny Ramone played Major Barre chords throughout his career.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by Silky Smooth
I always liked the sound of a player with a very simple chain. The overly effected and processed tone just kills the whole life of what a guitar should be IMO

I agree
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
I don't like Phish's guitarist's tone, it could be a lot better, especially the cleans

pure prarie leagues acoustic tone isnt full enough, i love the band though haha

i hate steve vai's tone in zappa plays zappa, he really doesn't seem to fit when he played with dweezil

mountain's guitar tone is wayyyy too bassy and boomy and gritty, its not balanced well at all lol, its cool at first, but i get kinda sick of it pretty quick, besides mississipi queen haha, only that song has good tone lol, thats the only one that has a balanced sound to it lol

i dont really like the band but they are decent, i hate wolfmother's tone

i dont like the fuzz in some of five man electric bands songs,

there is way too much wah in some of cream's songs, i dont like that band much surprisingly, it would seem like a perfect fit for what i listen to, but meh, i really dont like claptons tone much in cream.... his solo stuff is a whole different story haha

later rolling stones recordings and early, i love the mid career albums but early and late ones keith richards has tone that gives me a head ache, i donno what it is but i just dont like it lol

I hate elton john's guitarist's tone, i dont like elton much, but there guitarist has a lot of cool little licks, but the tone is utter **** lol

april wines tone is soooooo close to amazing in "coulda been a lady" but it just has a tiny tiny bit of warmth lacking and ruins it, but its soo close to amazing, their live tone on that song is great though, I guess it was probably just having to have the amp at a low volume or whatever haha

Quote by RizzoWashburn
Not to nitpick, but Johnny Ramone played Major Barre chords throughout his career.

there is the occasional minor chords in there every once in a while ahhaha, he was pretty good at them open chords too
give him some credit
it is pretty cool how that band had such a sound with such simple and pretty much, utter crap music lol

i do love the ramones though haha
Last edited by eberg2 at Mar 24, 2009,
Duane Allman is a really good guitar player, but I'm not a fan of his tone. Kind of..... I don't know. Generic?

Carlos Santana is another one. Some of his songs, he has great tone like Samba Pa Ti. Then others like his later stuff (Smooth, Maria Maria) for me leave a lot to be desired tone wise.

George Thoroughgood gets an honorable mention because his tone is so bad, it's good.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Last edited by strat2finish at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by strat2finish

George Thoroughgood gets an honorable mention because his tone is so bad, it's good.

lol
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Bullet For My Valentine had terrible tone when I saw them live. It woulda been hard for them to get a good tone going across the entire area they were playing for however, about room for 50,000 ppl. They sounded better from far away but up close it was likem a metric f***-ton of razors to the ears.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by leephan
Paul Gilbert's Laney tone was awful imo.

It had it's cons, I thought it was good over-all though. Just the way his palm-muted speed picking sounded/sounds was pretty cool though you have to admit.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Page 1 of 3