Page 1 of 3
What is your favorite war or a battle, or both if you care, in history?
Multiple wars are okay.
Anything from the rise of civilizations to right now is fine.

for example:

My favorite War are:
Second World War's North African front - proved that the British infantry was useful
the Arab Revolt - a decisive war with T.E. Lawrence and his arab tribes uniting to fight the turks, while it ended when Britain decided to keep Palestine as a mandate
the Russo-Japanese War - another example of a rooster kicking the elephant's ass
American Revolutionary War - just historically interesting

My favorite battles are:
D-Day - need no explanation
Battle of Hastings - a very tragic battle when Normandy took over England
Battle of Trafalger - my favorite naval battle
Battle of Somme - darkest part of British history
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Towton was bloodier than the Somme. The some was just a trench battle with little to gain from it. The casualties were terrible, but it was by no means an active battle.
Iraq War - made bush look like an even bigger douche, too bad it cost lives, tho

My Grandpa was in Iwo Jima, and got a bronze star for it (in my possession now, he gave it to me cuz i liked to hear his stories, RIP) so, i guess thats my real favorite
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Wouldnt say favourite because war is terrible but:-

Bannockburn obviously...GIRFUYs

ww1 ...great grandad got the Victoria Cross (highest UK medal of honour)

Monte Cassino WW2...my grandad fought in it..200,000 men died when all the did was bomb the ****in monestary anyway
Last edited by DegaMeth at Mar 23, 2009,
The Battle of Gettysburg, I visited there a few years ago, that place is unreal. I love learning about The Civil War, but that was by far my favorite battle
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by shroomhound
Thermopylae... 300 made it look cool at least.

Eh... I really didn't like 300

Do you believe that they really had 300 soldiers fighting thousands?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
^
They almost did, it was 300 Spartans and about 1000 some-odd local Greeks.

I'm sure the fighting was not at all as portrayed though. I doubt the Spartans would of come out of the canyon as it should them.
D-day
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Battle of Yavin is by far my favorite battle.
Someone plunged a dagger deep into God's chest and
When he groaned it laid our entire civilization to rest
When he pulled out the dagger and marveled at the pain he could create
We stuck another in his back to seal creation's fate
probably the battle known as star wars.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by pwnerer
That's a war, not a battle

>_>

<_<

damn you?!!11!!11!!
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by solitaryshell90
The Winter War and Continuation War between Finland and Russia.

That was pretty epic, but I don't really like it 'cause some of my relatives fought there and for some it didn't end so well...
I find use of the use of the word "favorite" slightly irritating, doesn't that strike you as a little insensitive?

the battle I find most interesting is probably the Battle of Somme, it's a testament to the futility of war

over a million dead to move a line in the dirt.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by JHH
That was pretty epic, but I don't really like it 'cause some of my relatives fought there and for some it didn't end so well...

Sorry to here that sir, I'm sure they fought hard for their country. If there's one thing I admire about Finns from the ones I have met, it's their undying love for their native land.
Quote by solitaryshell90
Sorry to here that sir, I'm sure they fought hard for their country. If there's one thing I admire about Finns from the ones I have met, it's their undying love for their native land.

I think Americans still beat us in that.
Quote by JHH
I think Americans still beat us in that.

Haha but your love is justified cuz your country is amazing. AMAZING.
Quote by solitaryshell90
Haha but your love is justified cuz your country is amazing. AMAZING.

Meh, it's gone worse... Working free healthcare is nowadays just a memory, Finland will probably join NATO in a couple of years, big corporations rule over the Parliament and what have you...

But if you're talking about landscape and the amount of beautiful women, I'm totally with you.

EDIT: Sorry everyone for off-topic convo
Last edited by JHH at Mar 23, 2009,
the one where like. there was a lot of shooting and explosions and stuff. and a bunch of people got killed.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Carswell98
I find use of the use of the word "favorite" slightly irritating, doesn't that strike you as a little insensitive?

the battle I find most interesting is probably the Battle of Somme, it's a testament to the futility of war

over a million dead to move a line in the dirt.

Not at all, I'm not a pacifist nor a philanthropist.
I'm not against warfare, I think it's an interesting subject to study about so it doesn't irritate me at all.
If you have a problem with it, don't even post on this thread, simple as that.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I can't remember what it's called, but the main battle from the first indo-china war.
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
Finnish Winter War against Soviet. Finland did what we swedes weren't vikings enough to do.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by DegaMeth
Wouldnt say favourite because war is terrible but:-

Bannockburn obviously...GIRFUYs

ww1 ...great grandad got the Victoria Cross (highest UK medal of honour)

Monte Cassino WW2...my grandad fought in it..200,000 men died when all the did was bomb the ****in monestary anyway

Wowee

Anyway. Khalkhin Gol was a hugely important battle, and an outright victory for Georgy Zhukov.

And I agree with the North Africa campaign, Rommell put up an excellent fight. He's the best commander the German army had, no questions.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
There are a few wars which I believe hold a soft spot to me:

The Battle of Stalingrad - Hitlers push into Russia, which was the turning tide for the Germans in WWII. It was Hitlers failure there which allowed the US to ally with the Soviets to defeat Germany.

The Battle of Tobruk - ANZAC Rats

The Vietnam War - Not so much for the fighting itself, but the social implications, changes and benefits that arised from the "Hippies/Peace" movement, and the positive and negative changes that were caused by the movement.

EDIT: The Omaha Beach Landing in WWII - So many soldiers died to secure that stretch of beach, which allowed them to turn the tides of the war.

Then, the funny wars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zanzibar_War - The shortest war in history. It lasted 40 minutes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War - Look at the stats. Finland annihilated the soviets.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Last edited by Mootallica at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by radomu
Not at all, I'm not a pacifist nor a philanthropist.
I'm not against warfare, I think it's an interesting subject to study about so it doesn't irritate me at all.
If you have a problem with it, don't even post on this thread, simple as that.

dude, what is your problem?, every time I see you make a post you pick a fight, insult somebody, or just be a huge ass in general

I'm a history major ok, I live and breathe this stuff, I spend a lot of time to studying past conflicts, I also find it disrespectful to all those who have given their lives in the service of their country when you apply language like "favorite" to war, it's not a flavour of gum, it's a god damned war ok?

I'm no pacifist, war is (unfortunately) a necessity, and it also shouldn't be taken lightly

christ, I'm not talking about pussy-footing around war, I'm talking about respect for the dead.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
stalingrad and D-day

thats where it's at

EDIT:

Iwojima too, that picture of the soldiers lifting up the flag is so badass
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
Battle of Falkirk (Scottish History FTW !)
WW1 & 2
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by Carswell98
dude, what is your problem?, every time I see you make a post you pick a fight, insult somebody, or just be a huge ass in general

I'm a history major ok, I live and breathe this stuff, I spend a lot of time to studying past conflicts, I also find it disrespectful to all those who have given their lives in the service of their country when you apply language like "favorite" to war, it's not a flavour of gum, it's a god damned war ok?

I'm no pacifist, war is (unfortunately) a necessity, and it also shouldn't be taken lightly

christ, I'm not talking about pussy-footing around war, I'm talking about respect for the dead.

No, no, no, no
I'm not picking a fight with you, I'm just saying it's not an issue of how we must look at war.
UG is just a forum in a world wide web where everyone has their opinions.
I support outspokenness.

I guess it's a cultural thing, the Japanese are very unexpressive but we always tend to analyze problems by questioning the opposer.
That's in my blood and I can't do anything about it.
Unfortunately, it contradicts with how the Western civilization deals with issues, but I think that itself is okay.

I agree with you, it can be innappropriate to view warfare in a video game way, if you know what I mean.
But I'm not saying, "What's the ugliest handicapped kid in the world?" or "Are you so skinny that you look like a Jewish refugee in Auchvitz?"
That's going too far, but I think it's still okay if it's war, at least from my perspective.
My mother's side of family lost three relatives to the Russo-Japanese War and the Second World War, both to the Russians, but I'm not offended by them.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
KOKODA
aussie values on display
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by radomu

the Russo-Japanese War - another example of a rooster kicking the elephant's ass

Lol nothing to do with Nicolas II being the stupidest elephant in the Jungle. :P

As for my favorite? Probably Austerlitz, Napoleon was an extremely gifted general and to pull off what he did took a great deal of courage and faith in his army.

For the record I recognise that war is futile waste of human life(well 90% of cases), but it's still really interesting topic.
MASSIVE TEXT
The Crusades.
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
Page 1 of 3