allright so, I have a crappy old lotus les paul knockoff. I've been playing it awhile since my strat was stolen, and have gotten pretty attached to it. It's been pretty reliable so far until this week.

so I was playing and all of a sudden a string popped off the fret board. At first I thought it just popped out of place since the string wasnt broken. But when I tried to tune it, the note wouldnt budge from a Bflat, and I looked down the string and the strong was coming unwound.

the strings were pretty old so I figured it was time for some new ones anyway. so the next day I went over to sam ash to get some new strings, for free actually, they were doing a free restringing, awfully convenient so I could shop around looking for amps while they did the work for me.

anyway, I took my guitar back home with brand new strings. I started playing it and about 30 minutes in I noticed my guitar was out of tune, so I retuned and strummed it once and the same string popped out in the same way. I went to re-tune the string again and it was coming unwound again.

I'm no guitar gear guy. I just play and sing my songs and know how to maintain the guitar, repairs arent my thing. However, I don't want to send it off for repairs.

I'm saving for a new amp to replace my stolen one, so the less money I have to spend to fix it the better. And DIY is always the cheapest way to do stuff.

so I'm turning to you UG forums for some help.

so to start it off, what do you think is the problem? or what should I look at to find the problem? My only guess so far that the problem might be in the tuner.
Will the tuner
not raise the pitch of the string when turned?
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Quote by EMGs_rule
Quote by jgbsmith
why would you want to put the bitrate down?
to make it smaller without hearing any change in quality that the human ear can detect?
Does not compute for the audiophile

Follow me on Twitter...or else!
first off: my condolences on the stolen gear, i'd hug you if you were near (no sarcasm and woah that rhymed)

second, i'd check the hardware that makes contact with the string that has issues (tuner, nut, bridge), it could be that there is some issue with it that is causing the string to pop off and unwind.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
nope, the pitch of the string doesnt rise because the string is unwinding.

I thought it was just my strings getting old, but with brand new strings on it, it did the same thing the first time I played it after getting the new strings.
Quote by guitarsftw

second, i'd check the hardware that makes contact with the string that has issues (tuner, nut, bridge), it could be that there is some issue with it that is causing the string to pop off and unwind.

yeah check and make sure there isn't any rust or damage or whatever on the hardware.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Quote by EMGs_rule
Quote by jgbsmith
why would you want to put the bitrate down?
to make it smaller without hearing any change in quality that the human ear can detect?
Does not compute for the audiophile

Follow me on Twitter...or else!
possibly

upon further inspection it almost looks like the bridge is stripping the string, thats where the part that is unwinding begins