What would be better for a v3 Epi VJ head through a randall 4x12?

Im leaning towards pedals, as i can use them for future amps, and they wont void the warranty. (im thinking MXR 10 band eq, and Digitech Bad Monkey)

While im here, can you please give me your opinion on whether to get an EQ pedal or an overdrive pedal first, and why.

Would mods sound better than a pedal or two?

If you think the mods would be better, can you please tell me a good mod to get.

Thanks heaps in advance.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
If the amp has at least a decent tone, you would do fine with an eq pedal. It has way more versatility than a simple overdrive pedal, and it's generally more useful.

Oh, and modding your amp is really a lot of work compared to how much it'll actually improve your tone. If you really want to mod something, get a boss 7 band eq and have it modded. They just put better something or anothers in it, and it takes away a lot of the excess noise you get when you have a level a bit high. Just do a google search for it, most of the sites I've seen offering the service do the same thing to the pedal.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
Last edited by DeathMask at Mar 23, 2009,
If you go with pedals, get the eq first, and that'll help you decide what OD pedal you really need, because the EQ does have a gain knob.

Some say that slider is just an extension of the volume knob, but i can boost a clean tone into ac/dc with that slider all the way up, so moral of the story, get the EQ first.
I went the pedal route also and i agree with the others. EQ first. I already had the 10 band when I bought the VJ and once you plug it in it puts it way ahead of the other under $400 5 watt class A tube amps and it takes pedals really well. I'd stay away from the low cost OD/Distortion pedals also. I have yet to buy a pedal that is cheaper then the VJ head by itself (except the MXR), but when I finally do upgrade I won't have to worry about replacing cheap pedals. Tube change to tung sol and JJ's and your all set.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
if you can do the mods yourself, then i would probably go with that. if you would pay to have someone else do it, then i would go with pedals. if you are comfortable working with amps and know what you are doing, then there are lots of diagrams out there for things like a negative feed back switch, a master volume, or a tone stack for the epi vj. however if you dont plan on doing it yourself, i dont really think its worth it (even if they all do make the amp nicer). if you decide to go with pedals, since the vj doesnt have an eq, id probably go with one of those first. its just nice to have a bit of control over the signals eq.
Thanks for the replies, how much gain can you get out of the MXR EQ?

I know ShecterZV said ACDC type, but is it possible to get much more?

Thanks in advance.

Quote by Danyg
Quote by DiizZ
Thanks for the replies, how much gain can you get out of the MXR EQ?

I know ShecterZV said ACDC type, but is it possible to get much more?

Thanks in advance.

If you use it on a channel with a little bit of gain already, you definitely could. But I got this sound through a Spider on the clean channel, so I imagine you could do much more. But again, it isn't a pedal for gain, but I'd still recommend it and tweak it to figure out what you REALLY need.
I really think modding would be a waste of time & money o.O
If your amp sounds pretty good already, go for an overdrive. There are lots of really good sounding stompboxes out there, though, so take your time before you settle on one.
As said, if you can mod it yourself, it is a very cheap option especially if you have access to soldering tools already.

It won't get you brilliant overdrive though.

The best thign to do is improve the clean tone of the VJ (easy to do, and it ends up sounding great) then buy a distortion pedal with a tone stack. This is really all you need.

Otherwise, an EQ pedal doesn't go astray.
Get a Bad Monkey and a Fish & Chips. That way you don't need to decide. The Vjr needs an OD pedal. OD'ng the amp by boosting the input signal isn't that pleasing.
Thanks for the replies.

il probably get a Bad Monkey as my first pedal, and ill have a look into the Danelectro Fish n Chips.

Does the Fish n Chips work very well? Its pretty cheap, so if it does what its supposed to do, i may get it.

Also, how much of a difference would a tube swap be? Im thinking Tung Sol 12ax7 and a JJ EL84, would this be a good choice?

Quote by Danyg
Those are the tubes I put in mine. Made a pretty big difference in the dynamics of the tone. Liked it alot better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD