Hai, im planning on buying an electric keyboard soon, but i dont know what to look for when pickign a keyboard.

I have an electric guitar, and i started about 2 years ago, but i dont wanna make the same mistake as i did with buying my first guitar (Ashton crapstick). So im just wondering waht i shud look at when buying a keyboard.

What i mean is like, when im buying an electric guitar, i normally look at its fretwire size, action, buzz amount, abit of sound quality, look, value, number of frets, functions (eg floyd rose?) and weight.

What are thigns like that i should look at a keyboardists point of view?

Thanks in advance
what do you plan on using it for? DO you want to use it for controlling softsynths on your computer? does it need to have inbuilt sounds? if so what kind of music do you intend to make with it? also what's your budget?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
A few things to consider:

- first there's the choice between a keyboard that has on-board sounds and speakers, or just a midi controller that you hook up to a PC/ / synthesizer.
- number of octaves - at least 5 imo (ie no less than 61 keys);
- velocity response is an absolute must (ie how hard you hit the key affects the volume of the sound).
- the resistance of the keys (there are non-weighted, semi-weighted and full weighted "hammer-action" keys which mimic the keys on an actual piano).
- polyphony (how many sounds can be played at once (annoying if it's too low)).
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
what do you plan on using it for? DO you want to use it for controlling softsynths on your computer? does it need to have inbuilt sounds? if so what kind of music do you intend to make with it? also what's your budget?

Atm im planning on using it for some old fashion piano playing, i probably wont use an amp yet , or if possible ill just connect it to my gutiar amp, otherwise ill stick it into my computer unless the sound quality is shocking, then ill get an amp

Atm my budget is around 400- 500 dollars, im planning on getting a good second hand one of ebay thats worth maybe 1 k or smthing (australian dollars).

I mainly wanna do some form of jazz shred piano stuff to thicken my pieces with some unison with my guitar, thankkss.
Quote by Mad Marius
A few things to consider:

- first there's the choice between a keyboard that has on-board sounds and speakers, or just a midi controller that you hook up to a PC/ / synthesizer.
- number of octaves - at least 5 imo (ie no less than 61 keys);
- velocity response is an absolute must (ie how hard you hit the key affects the volume of the sound).
- the resistance of the keys (there are non-weighted, semi-weighted and full weighted "hammer-action" keys which mimic the keys on an actual piano).
- polyphony (how many sounds can be played at once (annoying if it's too low)).

Whats the average poly phony sound? im guessing about 10 ? Unless im expecting too much?

Which would have a more fresher sound if just say, performing live, the midi thingo or the one with the amp? im more interested in it sounding more like a piano rather than drum kits or flutes
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Whats the average poly phony sound? im guessing about 10 ? Unless im expecting too much?

I think the average is around 32-64 and high-level keyboards have 128 and above. For standalone keyboards. Midi controllers are only limited by whatever software/synths you're using.

Quote by dmirtygorachyov

Which would have a more fresher sound if just say, performing live, the midi thingo or the one with the amp? im more interested in it sounding more like a piano rather than drum kits or flutes

The midi thingos don't produce sound, they just send commands to whatever you plug them into. So it depends on whatever VST instrument (software, on your computer) or synth you're gonna use.
Quote by Mad Marius
I think the average is around 32-64 and high-level keyboards have 128 and above. For standalone keyboards. Midi controllers are only limited by whatever software/synths you're using.

The midi thingos don't produce sound, they just send commands to whatever you plug them into. So it depends on whatever VST instrument (software, on your computer) or synth you're gonna use.

Da fk? why wud ppl need 128 soudns at a time from a 61 key keyboard?
Quote by dmirtygorachyov
Da fk? why wud ppl need 128 soudns at a time from a 61 key keyboard?

Spelling....

If you have, for example, a sound that's made up of 8 different layers (8 sounds combined, like an orchestral-type sound for instance) and you're playing a 6 note chord, that's 48 simultaneous sounds. If you play another 6 note chord, but you want the previous one to sustain, that's 96 simultaneous sounds. So it adds up.
Quote by Mad Marius
Spelling....

If you have, for example, a sound that's made up of 8 different layers (8 sounds combined, like an orchestral-type sound for instance) and you're playing a 6 note chord, that's 48 simultaneous sounds. If you play another 6 note chord, but you want the previous one to sustain, that's 96 simultaneous sounds. So it adds up.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SUPA KEWWLZXJZ, k thx

So does anyone have any recommendations for me to base my decision loosely upon?

Im into lively fastish jazz, and cheery hippy lvoe power metal (dragon force and sonata arctica) Progressive metal and abit of rock. thanks!
I want to buy one too, for playing classical music. I don't even know the good brands =/
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I want to buy one too, for playing classical music. I don't even know the good brands =/

lol. classic music. That's not what Limp Bizkit is...
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
lol. classic music. That's not what Limp Bizkit is...

I attempt to make his epic anthems of social injustice a bit more pianooriented.

No one knows what it's like... to be the saaaaaaaaaaaaad maaaan
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

I think Yamaha is a good brand
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Good Keyboard Brands:
Korg
Roland
Yamaha

These keyboards are a bit expensive most of the time but worth it.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Knock yourself out, Chopin.

i lol'd xD

anywhom, good makes, i would go with either Roland or Yamaha
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
if you're only going to use the piano sound, don't mind polyphony and such things, but try to get hold on a e-piano with full-weighted keys! i learned piano on a real piano and later bought a non-weighted keyboard and it's really annoying..
Quote by Kensai
I attempt to make his epic anthems of social injustice a bit more pianooriented.

No one knows what it's like... to be the saaaaaaaaaaaaad maaaan

I hate The Who's cover of that song. They totally butchered it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Anyone else feel like this thread involves watching TS devolve from kinda-sober to rather-pissed?

If you're gonna be using it as an electric piano, look for pianolike features. Like most of what mad marius said, plus a pedal (unless it's retardedly easy to buy one).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)