I was just playing some malmsteen as one does

When The OD1 and OD2 channels on my DSL401 stopped working,

What can I do??

If u need more info just ask ive kept it basic
What do you mean stopped working? No sound came out, or the amp turned off?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Are the channel volumes turned down? You'd be surprised how many people don't check!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Does the OD channel seem quieter also? Try picking at different strengths and report back.
From that though, sounds like you've blown one, and possibly more of the valves
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Mar 23, 2009,
...and?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

NO results, Ive tried every possible combination of the 2 volume knobs, that isnt it.
Oh okay, go back and read what I said
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

PRobably toasted a solder joint somewhere in it. DSL are notorious for having HORRIBLE solder joints.

Take it in to a tech, expect them to take about 4-5 hours cause they'll have to pretty much resolder every joint in the amp. And reassembling those amps is a pain in the ass.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by Dempsey68
check the plug. is it in the wall?

Clearly, because the clean channel is working.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Dempsey68
check the plug. is it in the wall?

Since when do clean channels work off air and sunshine?

I think its a problem with a Preamp tube if not multiple since its with more than one channel.
Turn off your amp, turn it around, take off the covers for the preamp tubes and turn her onto standby. Tell us if any of them don't light up.
Ok, I just did some looking around,

Only 7 of the supposed 8 tubes are visible from the back, all of thoes ones are lighting up.

If I crank the master and OD channel volume right up I can here some sound coming through.

Clean is working fine, with Master down and gain on full it still get some crunch too.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']
Since when do clean channels work off air and sunshine?

I think its a problem with a Preamp tube if not multiple since its with more than one channel.
Turn off your amp, turn it around, take off the covers for the preamp tubes and turn her onto standby. Tell us if any of them don't light up.

Fairly certain that's not it because they don't just have a tube for clean and 2 for the OD channels...I think. The schematic is on two different pages and they don't label anything, so tracing what exactly is going on is a pain.

Maybe it is though...*shrugs*

To the TS: let the amp cool down for a few hours, and try it again. If it works, it's prolly a solder joint...if not, it's a solder joint or something else.

If I get a chance over lunch hour today, I'll actually follow the schematic and let you know what tubes are involved in the OD channel/clean channel. When I repaired a customer's DSL for something similar awhile ago (reverb wouldn't turn off), one of the tubes I retubed it with (Tung Sol 12AX7) was bad, and in V2. It made EVERYTHING, clean/OD, whatever setting, really really quiet. replaced it and it roared to life...so...V2 impacts both the clean and OD channels, at minimum.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by dan_g_
Ok, I just did some looking around,

Only 7 of the supposed 8 tubes are visible from the back, all of thoes ones are lighting up.

If I crank the master and OD channel volume right up I can here some sound coming through.

Clean is working fine, with Master down and gain on full it still get some crunch too.

The one you can't see is V1, it has a metal shield over it. If that we bad you'd hear NOTHING from ANYTHING. So, it's not tubes.
Quote by kcdakrt

And I'm actually an idiot, I was looking at the schemo for the 50 watt head, not the combo. let me work on the schemo a bit...
Quote by kcdakrt

ok cool thanks!
Also its probably worth saying that I think OD2 is not an independent channal rather than a mere 20dB boost from Od1
Quote by dan_g_
ok cool thanks!
Also its probably worth saying that I think OD2 is not an independent channal rather than a mere 20dB boost from Od1

Yeahup, indeed.

on the schemo, there's too much SS stuff in the way...haven't had my coffee yet today. And I have to go to work.

If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, schemo is here:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/dl40-60-02-iss9.pdf

FWIW, my vote is still with "blown solder joint" or something similar. I'm pretty sure Marshall was trying to set the cheapness record when they made the PCBs on the DSL line.

O well...at least they didn't make it on "PCB that becomes conductive when the close-mounted power resistors heat up" that Fender did in the 90s. Surprised they didn't burn people's houses down.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
The one you can't see is V1, it has a metal shield over it. If that we bad you'd hear NOTHING from ANYTHING. So, it's not tubes.

...wut?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
...wut?

The tube he cannot "see" immeadiately is V1, which has a metal shield over it. If that tube were not working, the amp would not make any sounds at all, because clean and OD passes through that tube.

Hoping the TS could read into that far enough that they don't need to remove the metal shield to inspect the tube, because we can infer from the continued functionality of the clean channel that the tube is indeed OK.
Quote by kcdakrt

Ok, how much to have it fixed is it the short question

Wow I need a full setup, new speaker, new tremelo, Refretting and now this lol
Quote by dan_g_
Ok, how much to have it fixed is it the short question

Wow I need a full setup, new speaker, new tremelo, Refretting and now this lol

Hrm...it'll take a tech about 4-5 hours for something like this, probably. Unless they open it up and there's something painfully and obviously wrong. Dunno how much other amp techs charge for something like that.

How close are you to Melbourne? I have a friend there who might be willing to work on it.
Quote by kcdakrt

In sydney im afraid. Ive looked up amp repair places. Doesnt look to cheep, I might have to be without an amp for a while
Quote by dan_g_
In sydney im afraid. Ive looked up amp repair places. Doesnt look to cheep, I might have to be without an amp for a while

Yeah, most techs charge a crapton. Good luck with it...
Quote by kcdakrt

once my marshall breaks im throwing out and getting a new one.....**** repairs .....new amps smell nice lol

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
ClaytonElgin
The saddest part was, I am advertising to sell this one at the moment and had some great offers, I was upgrading to a half stack in 2 weeks. not happening now.
im not sure if this will help anyone with my problem

But I put an OD pedal through in the FX loop in the amp, and now on the OD channels ther is sound, It is faint, and there is alot of muffled noise coming through when Im not playing
Quote by dan_g_
im not sure if this will help anyone with my problem

But I put an OD pedal through in the FX loop in the amp, and now on the OD channels ther is sound, It is faint, and there is alot of muffled noise coming through when Im not playing

That is very very weird...don't know what to make of that.

If I had the thing in front of me, I'd prolly be able to figure it out...hard to from 10,000 miles away unfortunately.

The really unfortunate thing is that there's a lot of SS widgits in that amp...if one of them fries, well...
Quote by kcdakrt

It is stange, when I get some money should I simply take it along to a shop that offers amp repairs?

I cant be without an amp for too long and really needed to sell this one in the next 2 weeks.

The clean still sounds fine, and with the OD in the FX loop it sounds muffled and weak but like a DSL OD none the less.
yeah, I'd take it in for repair...like I said, it's probably a bad solder joint somewhere...
hrm...

or something more sinister. hopefully not.
Quote by kcdakrt