I want to be able to solo and shred hopefully by the time I've finished, I've got just over 2 and a half years left, and I started playing last October. I try to practice in all my spare time, without overdoing it cause I was getting wrist pain when I was going up and down scales for hours a day. My parents are getting pissed off at me though coz I study/do homework about 1 and a half to 2 and a half hours a night, and just whenever I can be bothered on weekends, and I reckon that's still plenty, but my sister just finished year 12 and got 99.something crazy % in her exams, and she used to study literally from the time she got home from school until about 9.30+ so like 5 hrs a night. And my parents expect me to do that too, there's no way i could do anything productive for 3 or 4 straight hours, I cant cram that much into my bloody head anyway. I just got a few 'bad' (really they were just average) results in tests, more coz ive been shoved into hard classes than because i dont work hard enough, so theyve just said that I should practice for 20mins before school and then I cant play after school which is riidculous, they said something like that before though and I just kept playing and the sort of gave up, so no way im not practicing that little every day, but what would you say is a reasonable amount of time to spend practicing, if I want to be able to solo/shred ok in a few years? I dont really plan on going to uni after school either, but i havent told them coz ill be out of the house if they find that out, so ive still gotta do well enough to keep them happy so that i can still play guitar, otherwise itll probably be taken off me.

i learn fairly quickly at guitar as well, although I think that's a lot to do with how much i practice when I can, but i can pick up all the theoretical ideas and stuff quickly. Can play pentatonic scales 150-200bpm (rarely at 200 though, only sometimes for a short burst) 8th notes, and clearly, picking every note
Last edited by tom1thomas1 at Mar 23, 2009,
Spell: Text Wall lvl 18.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Not to sound like your parents or anything, but school IS important...

Chances of making a decent living after going to school and getting good grades = X
Chances of making a decent living playing guitar = Y
X > Y
Quote by Howard2k
Not to sound like your parents or anything, but school IS important...

Chances of making a decent living after going to school and getting good grades = X
Chances of making a decent living playing guitar = Y
X > Y

i'm not saying i want to make a living off of guitar
just give up on sleeping and start taking meth (apparently you can go for like three days with out sleep or feeling tired when your addicted) or maybe its crack i dont remeber. try them both but always remeber to use the buddy system.
SKY BLUE TEAM OWNS ALL (If we still exsited)
go to uni....get a good job then u can make alot of money which means lots of GEAR!! Then when u have a good job u hav all the time to play guitar u want! Pay attention at skool man..ull look bak in years to come and regret it
k Im still paying attention and working at school but there's time to play guitar and do schoolwork, so simpler question, will one hour a day of practice monday-thursday be enough to get to my goal? how much?
Studying for a 1 1/2 to 2 hours a night is a lot, unless you're becoming a doctor.
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
guitar=creative
math=rigid
ergo, guitar is more useful.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
well ... i get made to study for 30 mins every night and only for the week that an exam is on. you sir, you are my superman
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
It DOES seem like a huge amount of study.

I would have a talk with my parents and show them that you have a good outline for your future. You could even throw guitar into the middle of the study. It's actually RECOMMENDED to take a break during study. So if you did 45 mins study, 15 mins guitar, 45 mins study you were free to do what you want for the rest of the night (i.e. guitar) that might be something your parents would work with.
Quote by tom1thomas1
i'm not saying i want to make a living off of guitar

then schoolwork comes first
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by GangsterLi
well ... i get made to study for 30 mins every night and only for the week that an exam is on. you sir, you are my superman

Sammme
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Spell: Text Wall lvl 18.

lol. That made me chuckle .

On to my contribution to to thread. I read somewhere that it is recommended to take a 15 minute break every 3 hours of study.

Personally, I would focus more on my education as it will hopefully give you a better life. Then, you can play guitar whenever you want.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Last edited by crimson moon at Mar 23, 2009,
You should get a girlfriend.
Than lets see what comes first.
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
There are plenty of hours in a day to do both. I don't see how 2 hours of practicing guitar a night would detract from your study. And it should be enough practice to reach your goal.
Quote by Mike50227
You should get a girlfriend.
Than lets see what comes first.

lol yeah and do a van halen on her, tell her that i love my guitar more than her lol
Sleep with your guitar in your hands while listening to one of those motivational mantra sleep hypnosis things for guitarists.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .