analyzing slipknot songs

I got take an album Slipknot Self Titled and track from that album (sic)

and analyze it,

on dynamics, melody, structure, chords, effects used and anything else I noitce,

common themes throughout the album musiclly,

and critically analyze it.

so i'm just asking on what people thought on these points.

dynamics is the hardest one at the moment.
Do your own homework, damnit.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
Are you talking one track? Or the album itself? Because there's a lot of work with dynamics on the album. Even on the song (SIC) they use dynamics a lot.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
I would do the song gently is much eaiser but anyway I had to do somehting like this.
There arnt many dynamics its pretty much low tuning theres a nice balence between corey talylors voice and the rest of the band. The song has a wicked Melody going on headed by joey jordision. The structure now this is the hardest one because haveing 9 members brings many musical styles to the table. Alot of slipknow songs have many diffrent elements in them jim root brings classic rock and is very legato. Mich tompson is very brutal and bring that metal influance in the play. Sid Wilson brings the rap influance in to play. Joey is the punk influance. Sid dosent really bring anything but low ass bass. I cant even get you started on the effects omg, They both well for this album anyways they both used Emg 81 in the bridge and an Emg 60 in the neck they both use custom guitar. For this album they used Rivera K-Tre head and cabs and Mesa Boogie head and cabs. The effects consisted of a Moog Ring Moudlator, A dunlop Rotovibe, Boss noise supressor, they both use bradshaw switching systems but anyways theres a whole host of effects o and there is an Electro Harmonic custum Bass Balls thats Mick uses. But anyways there is a whoe host of effects and the persitintly beging changed. As for analizing the song I cant do that for you thats your perseption !
I'd avoid Slipknot for essay writing, it would be much easier to write about classical music (for my Advanced Higher dissertation I'm writing about two guitar concertos).
Call me Batman.
J.A.M is right it would be much eaiser writing a paper on classical mucis seeing as much of metal stems from clasial music!
Quote by youngncy
J.A.M is right it would be much eaiser writing a paper on classical mucis seeing as much of metal stems from clasial music!

What? Metal as a genre most certainly does not stem from classical music. There are very few similarities beyond a few artists borrowing a melody or two.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
What? Metal as a genre most certainly does not stem from classical music. There are very few similarities beyond a few artists borrowing a melody or two.

^^
Metal IS influenced by classical music but it cannot be termed as a successor or descendant of classical music.
And Slipknot ain't metal.
Quote by flabber.gast
I used to be a big hip-hop fan, but lately my interest has Wayned a Lil.

Quote by Rustypig

That's not really an argument.

Metal IS influenced by classical music but it cannot be termed as a successor or descendant of classical music.

The influences are few and far between. Even the artists that explicitly cite classical music as an inspiration rarely do any more than borrow a melody or two.

Slipknow is most certainly metal. Regardless, it was you who dragged metal into this.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by youngncy

Nah, as Archeo explained it doesn't. But the thing is, there so many more musical devices clearly used in your average classical piece than your average metal piece.
Call me Batman.
Classical Music influenced most modern music in some way, didn't it? Forgive me if I'm wrong. And I assume that by classical music we mean classical music in general, not just the classical period.

I wouldn't do Slipknot, mainly because if I was your music teacher and saw an essay about a nu-metal band I would laugh. No offense or anything...
Heres my analyzing of a Slipknot song.

*HEAVY INTRO BRO*
*CREEPY PART BRO*
*CHORUS PART BRO*
*Repeat 2+3*
*SOLO PART BRO*
*BREAKDOWN*
*OUTRO IS HEAVY BRO*
Metal does burry roots in classical music. It's much less melodic, louder, and crazy but it's roots are in classical.

And I don't think Slipknot are nu-metal...they're more like heavy metal/hard rock.
Quote by Myung-trucci
I wouldn't do Slipknot, mainly because if I was your music teacher and saw an essay about a nu-metal band I would laugh. No offense or anything...

I *am* a music teacher (yes, like, in a school), and if someone handed me in a critical analysis of Slipknot, I'd be perfectly happy with it. I'd be curious as hell to see what the person said about it, but as long as it involved good critical listening, effective and varied use of musical vocabulary, and was discussed intelligently, I'd have no qualms. After all, it's the analysis that is being graded, not the composition itself.

The danger of this is that, on a purely musical level, there's not really a lot to talk about - thinking things of real compositional interest - going on in most popular music. It's like giving an artistic form analysis of a rectangle. It would be quite challenging to come up with much worth talking about. I think if you really wanted to do Nu-Metal from the mainstream, I'd suggest Korn's Life is Peachy.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 23, 2009,
It's much less melodic, louder, and crazy but it's roots are in classical.

Its roots are in blues. It has next to nothing in common with classical music.
its just something metalheads say to defend their ****ty taste in music
Quote by Tophue
its just something metalheads say to defend their ****ty taste in music

There is plenty of good metal. It's just not at all similar to classical music.
Quote by Rocker_geek
^^

Wrong.

Metal is rooted in the blues. Seriously, some of you guys need to learn the roots of metal because some of you guys don't have a clue. First metal bands were influenced by blues bands and were in them. The modern day metal bands are influenced by many genres but metal started from the blues.
Last edited by The Arsis at Mar 23, 2009,
what about necrophagist? kalmah? children of bodom (earlier stuff).

what about alot of power metal, even the lame dragonforce?

you cannot deny that there are similarities between classical music and metal. metals roots are in blues for sure, but metal also incorperates many techniques that classical music did. richard vagner(sp) for example i think has very dark music, like alot of metal.

what about cradle of filth (midian album), or other 'symphonic' metal like dummi borgir, chthonic? they keyboard melodies i think are more based on classical and neoclassical music.

what aboout certain black metal bands, their music is about intensity and atmosphere, wasnt that similar to classical music? black metal is way more abrazive in sound and much more minimalistic in feeling, but bands like emperor incorperate many elements of atmostphere to get across a feeling. actually so do most other black metal bands (even without the keyboard)

or if you have ever listened to iced earth, the song dantes inferno, that surely can be related to calssical music.

sorry i just think that while metal did originate from blues music we cannot deny the obvious and major influence of classical music
Quote by FreakShow99

you cannot deny that there are similarities between classical music and metal. metals roots are in blues for sure, but metal also incorperates many techniques that classical music did. richard vagner(sp) for example i think has very dark music, like alot of metal.

what about cradle of filth (midian album), or other 'symphonic' metal like dummi borgir, chthonic? they keyboard melodies i think are more based on classical and neoclassical music.

what aboout certain black metal bands, their music is about intensity and atmosphere, wasnt that similar to classical music? black metal is way more abrazive in sound and much more minimalistic in feeling, but bands like emperor incorperate many elements of atmostphere to get across a feeling. actually so do most other black metal bands (even without the keyboard)

or if you have ever listened to iced earth, the song dantes inferno, that surely can be related to calssical music.

sorry i just think that while metal did originate from blues music we cannot deny the obvious and major influence of classical music

You can find some similarities sure, but you can do that with any genre of music. The things "classical" music and metal have in common or so vague you can hardly say they are related. Harmonic minor and arpeggios doesnt mean classical. If you want to properly compare metal with classical music, then listen to different composers from different eras. You will find it sounds nothing like metal, at all.
Quote by FreakShow99

I am familiar with all of that music, and the closest any of it comes to classical music are a few melodies that superficially resemble music written by some of the more well known composers. None of the structural or harmonic complexity is present, nor the elaborate thematic development, nor any of the other conventions that characterize classical music. It's the equivalent of throwing in an add9 chord and calling your music jazz.

Honestly, you picked the worst possible examples. You picked music with a few superficial elements resembling classical music while completely ignoring a number of metal bands that have actually utilized the complex harmonic and thematic development that characterizes classical music (even if it doesn't sound like it). This leads me to believe that your experience with classical music is limited to having heard Fur Elise once...
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 24, 2009,
owned....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.

I think that I should re-learn english.
Quote by flabber.gast
I used to be a big hip-hop fan, but lately my interest has Wayned a Lil.