Okay, so I'm looking for a smaller practice amp. Been looking at vypyrs, roland cubes, epis, crate, and fender.

I found an Epiphone Valve Junior tube amp for $60 on Craigslist. Is that worth it? I know they retail for like $150, I just want to hear opinions and experiences with this amp.

Playing with an Ibanez Artcore AS73 and no pedals (although I am looking into getting the MXR 10-band Eq pedal soon.).

Just looking for a simple, clean and decent tone. Just something to amplify the guitar for practice (I prefer this over lugging the half-stack out)

Also, since I have all SS amps for my metal, I was looking to get a tube amp for my cleans. I can't find any vypyrs or cubes on craigslist and probably won't go for a Crate amp. I also found a Fender Champion 110 for $40. I prefer the epi to experience some type of tube tone.

Also, is it worth small upgrades to these amps down the road? Say with better tubes and a new speaker? Or even mods as a little project?

Thanks Guys.
yea, don't get the epi for cleans.

The fender however, would be good for what you want.
But I don't think you'll get tube cleans for as low as anything you've mentioned
I'm FAT!
while the above is rather true, for $60 you can't go wrong..
Gear
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Super Champ XD
Line 6 Pod XT
Crate GTD15R
Quote by BeethovensBust
I would rather have a Vypyr than a Valve Jr.

Not in a million years.

TS Probably not the best choice for cleans, but your going to need a fair bit more money for something like a blues junior. Thing with the VJ is how well it takes to pedals. Also the tube change was a dramatic improvement in my V3. If your looking for a good low cost pedal platform to build from the VJ is hard to beat for the money. With something like a POD XT Live plugged into it it pretty much spanks all the hybrid modeling amps out there IMHO.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Alright, cool and thanks for the suggestions. I thought $60 was a good deal too.

I would grab the Fender, but I heard they had input problems.

So the Epi Valve Junior practice amp is not for cleans!!?! Dang, I thought that's the only thing it could/would do best.

Yeah, I just want a simple practice amp with decent tones. Anything I can easily move around the house and setup quick. But not one of those junk Crate 15 watters with the FX that are overloading Craiglist with a max price of $35.

I just need something simple, semi-cheap (I'll just find it used anyways) and can give off some pretty good volume. Nothing too fancy. Thanks for the advice Scott.
For better cleans you can try 5771 tube in the preamp. I prefer going with a volume boost and the tung sol ax7. The pedals i have are sufficient for me. i tried a Bad Bob the other day, but it wasn't transparent enough. Looking for the durham sexdrive, but have been unable to find one to try. Suppose to give a decent boost without coloring your tone.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I just sold a Vjr Combo the other day for $80. So $60 is a good deal. It does fine with cleans, but they are not bright Fender cleans. Also they are not very good sounding amps with an 8" speaker. Better to run it into a cab.

The biggest strength of the Vjr is how well they sound with pedals in front. Contrary to some opinions, if you just want a small toteable amp without carrying pedals then the Vypyr would be a much better choice.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 23, 2009,