hey GBC forum!

Ever since I put my rockmonkey pickups into my les paul, the new pots have been acting strangely - what they do is basically nothing from 0-5, then a slight change is audible until 9 and then from 9 till 10 theres a huge jump in output - i want teh smooth transition though!
The pots are CTS 500k logs and the wiring is pretty much this (thanks cord!) http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/untitled.JPG but i used the caps to connect the middle lug of the volume and the left lug of the tone pot and put the middle of the tone to ground

any help is appreciated!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
CTS 500k logs

thanks for the reply though

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Have you tried putting your old pots back in? If it was a smooth taper before and changing everything made it buggy then try putting the old pots back. If it's still buggy then we know it's either wiring or that you need to send the pickups back and I'll send you new ones.
Not taking any online orders.
Hey sorry to butt in, but I have a similar problem. I have just bought a brand new schecter and my tone acts strangely. It does slight changes from 10 to 0.1, and then form 0.1 to 0 it kills the tone, lots of cut.

Does it mean it is faulty or is the normal taper of linear pots?
^pots are one of those things that are always a little buggy. Even good brands of pots can have a funny taper and no 2 pots are the same. Sometimes when you end up with taper problems it's because of the pots, sometimes, it's wiring, sometimes it's your guitars lead, and sometimes it's the pickups. Typically lower value pots have a smother taper than high value pots so if your 500K pots actually read 575K that can make the taper a bit harsh, or if one side of the pot doesn't open up all the way so instead of reading 0 resistance it reads 1k resistance that can cause harsh taper too and most of the time taper problems are down to the pots, however it isn't always the case.
Quote by bazuriya
Hey sorry to butt in, but I have a similar problem. I have just bought a brand new schecter and my tone acts strangely. It does slight changes from 10 to 0.1, and then form 0.1 to 0 it kills the tone, lots of cut.

Does it mean it is faulty or is the normal taper of linear pots?
that's waaaaay too much range for a small change, methinks. Probably a broken element or very poor contact of the wiper until it hits the end of the track.

easy enough to check with an ohmmeter. you won't have to disconnect anything. the cap will block dc to the rest of the guitar wiring for you.

or if it's brand new, take it back and have it fixed for free.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^pots are one of those things that are always a little buggy. Even good brands of pots can have a funny taper and no 2 pots are the same. Sometimes when you end up with taper problems it's because of the pots, sometimes, it's wiring, sometimes it's your guitars lead, and sometimes it's the pickups. Typically lower value pots have a smother taper than high value pots so if your 500K pots actually read 575K that can make the taper a bit harsh, or if one side of the pot doesn't open up all the way so instead of reading 0 resistance it reads 1k resistance that can cause harsh taper too and most of the time taper problems are down to the pots, however it isn't always the case.

well my pots are about 530k each, not that much more than 500k right - and the tone pots work!

where/how would i need to measure though? (i might have asked that before, but forgot...)

Quote by CorduroyEW
Have you tried putting your old pots back in? If it was a smooth taper before and changing everything made it buggy then try putting the old pots back. If it's still buggy then we know it's either wiring or that you need to send the pickups back and I'll send you new ones.

i might be able to do that this weekend - i'll try that
I'll kick the company who sold me the pot's arse one more time though and see what they think!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

well my pots are about 530k each, not that much more than 500k right - and the tone pots work!

where/how would i need to measure though? (i might have asked that before, but forgot...)
QUOTE]

tone pots are not nearly as fussy because 1 lug isn't grounded so really it's just a variable resistor rather than a voltage divider.

On your volume pots you need to measure from left lug to right lug. This will give you the total resistance of the pot.

Next turn the pot all the way up or down (doesn't matter which) and measure from left to middle and from middle to right. One of these measurements should be 0 and the other should be the same as your reading from left lug to right lug.

Finally turn the pot all the way to the other direction and measure left to middle and middle to right. It should give you the same numbers you had before but in revers order.

If all the readings look good then it could still be a problem with the pots taper which is why I'm suggesting you try the old pots again. If the old pots that used to work suddenly don't work then we know it's not the pots.
^alright, i can't promise that i'll get to it this weekend, but I'll try!

would i have to take the pots out of the guitar/take the wiring off for that?

oh and sorry for making you repeat yourself - i recall you told me that before

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

You will have to disconnect 1 wire of each pickup otherwise all you will get is the reading for the pickup. It doesn't matter if you disconnect the ground or the hot.
alright, so i wont be able to do that until the weekend either
still haven't found me soldering iron-_-
thanks!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

dangit...well i found my soldering iron, BUT

1) the readings on the pots are what they should be (followed your instructions chris)

2) it does the same thing with the old pots

3) it does the same thing with linear (!) pots, too - not as apparent, but still there

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^If you send the pickups back I'll take a look at them and either fix them or wind you new ones. They shouldn't be acting like that.

Edit:

If you want to use them untill your strings need changing and then send them back for me to look at thats ok too.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 29, 2009,
^alright, i guess i'll wait till my strings are worn out, i guess i can't get them out with them just being loose right?

would you want for me to send you my pots too so you can check what's going on with them?

I hope it'll go with just fixing my pickups - i really like the way they're sounding right now!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^You don't need to send the pots to. The fact that the old ones and new ones are acting the same says that it probably has nothing to do with the pots.
alright, i'll let you know when i'll be sending them

thanks a lot for all your help so far!
Im not sure if i still have the envelope you sent the pickups in, is your address on your website?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^yes, If you click "contact us" on my banner it'll take you to my address.