I wired it exactly as the diagram showed. The only part I was unsure of was the 3 way lever switch. It shows a small black wire jumping from 1, 2, 6, 5.

I soldered some a wire between those 4 contacts.

The battery meters at 9.41V. When I contact the white wire from the jack at the volume contact, there is a buzz. When I contact the wire from the volume to the 3 way, there is no buzz. Is my volume pot fried? Other than that, I can't imagine what else could be going wrong...
ive been having a similar problem mate, me and my dads wired everything up but the switch aint working correctly and we have to have the jack lead in half way to work... so we let my tutor give it to his repairer/maker of guitars and he said he can do it for sure .. if its £30 its worth doin to get it done properly mate :/ so fingers crossed n hope ya get it done .. cuz these forums are crap haha .. some of them anyway

good luck
Just to debug: Did you solder the braid of the white pickup wires to the pot casing and the inner wire to the switch?

This may be the only possible misunderstanding of the diagram :\
Last edited by bazuriya at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by bazuriya
Just to debug: Did you solder the braid of the white pickup wires to the pot casing and the inner wire to the switch?

This may be the only possible misunderstanding of the diagram :\

Yes. I couldn't get solder to completely cover from the braid to the inner wire, but when I attached it to the pot, both the inner wire and braid were soldered to the metal surface.

After thinking about it for a while, I'm beginning to believe that I got the volume pot too hot and fried it. I'm going to try another set tonight, being more careful with the heat.

Edit: A\I'm also beginning to think I might have the 3 way switch in backwards. On the diagram, it shows what looks like a resistor on the bottom, but mine has no such resistor, so I just installed it with the circuit board on the bottom rather than the metal side.
Last edited by magazinefed at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by magazinefed
Yes. I couldn't get solder to completely cover from the braid to the inner wire, but when I attached it to the pot, both the inner wire and braid were soldered to the metal surface.

After thinking about it for a while, I'm beginning to believe that I got the volume pot too hot and fried it. I'm going to try another set tonight, being more careful with the heat.

Edit: A\I'm also beginning to think I might have the 3 way switch in backwards. On the diagram, it shows what looks like a resistor on the bottom, but mine has no such resistor, so I just installed it with the circuit board on the bottom rather than the metal side.

It's just a spring, not a resistor.

Have you disconnected the bridge ground? You don't need to wire that for active EMG's, because they're grounded internally. Also, to quote what I said in the other thread:

Quote by -MintSauce-
Check the wiring of your jack socket, then rewire if you have to.

Edit: Just to clarify:

Hot output goes to the TIP,
Ground goes to the SLEEVE,
Battery -ve goes to the RING.
Quote by -MintSauce-
It's just a spring, not a resistor.

Have you disconnected the bridge ground? You don't need to wire that for active EMG's, because they're grounded internally. Also, to quote what I said in the other thread:

The bridge ground is disconnected. The jack is wired correctly.

I took out the old pots and put in a fresh set. Now I have current going through every wire, but still no sound from the pickups. They have a small magnetic force, which I'm sure is from the battery. The diagram shows to solder both pickups braid wire and their wire segment to the 3 way all together on the volume pot. So I have one big ground on top of the volume pot that has the neck pickup braided wire, bridge pickup braided wire, a wire segment connecting to position 8 on the switch, and one connecting to position 4 on the switch. I have a wire coming from the same tab on the volume pot as the capacitor, going to position 1, then wires from 1-2, 2-6, and 6-5.

It's wired exactly as the diagram shows, theres current going through every wire(tested by touching the multimeter to the contact, it buzzes) and the battery has 9.41V. I can't figure out what is wrong.

I've tried many different volume and tone settings and well as stringing a low e string to see if it picks it up, but I get nothing.

Edit: I'm now getting sound when I vibrate a string over the pickups, but there's a constant buzz, even when the volume is turned down.
Last edited by magazinefed at Mar 23, 2009,
Test continuity between pickup hot and ground.

Also, are you sure you plugged the quick connect the right way?

Also:
Quote by magazinefed
I couldn't get solder to completely cover from the braid to the inner wire, but when I attached it to the pot, both the inner wire and braid were soldered to the metal surface.

So I understand you fixed it?

EDIT: EMG recommends not to have a bridge ground wire, but it wont make you guitar sound bad if its wired. Mine had it for 1 year and I didnt even know

EDIT2:

Wait wait
Quote by magazinefed
The diagram shows to solder both pickups braid wire and their wire segment to the 3 way all together on the volume pot. So I have one big ground on top of the volume pot that has the neck pickup braided wire, bridge pickup braided wire, a wire segment connecting to position 8 on the switch, and one connecting to position 4 on the switch. I have a wire coming from the same tab on the volume pot as the capacitor, going to position 1, then wires from 1-2, 2-6, and 6-5.

I may haven't understand you right, but anyways: Braid of hot pickup wires go ONLY to the pot casings, and hot pickup wires go ONLY to the switch (in this wiring config at least).
Just to clarify
Last edited by bazuriya at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by bazuriya

Also:

EDIT: EMG recommends not to have a bridge ground wire, but it wont make you guitar sound bad if its wired. Mine had it for 1 year and I didnt even know

It's plugged in with the arrow up as the PDF from emg shows.

It's not completely fixed, since the buzz it produces is louder than the string vibration and the volume doesn't change after you turn the dial.
Quote by bazuriya

Also:

EDIT2:

Wait wait

I may haven't understand you right, but anyways: Braid of hot pickup wires go ONLY to the pot casings, and hot pickup wires go ONLY to the switch (in this wiring config at least).
Just to clarify

I'm pretty sure that's my problem. The diagram doesn't say only, it just says make sure the braids are soldered on. I'll try it after work. Thanks.
I found the problem. I wired the braid and the inner wire from the pickup together. Thanks for all the help!