im a sophmore in HS right now. i plan on going to college after i graduate. i decied to dedicate my career towards music whether it be playing in a band, or a guitar instructor. Has anyone had experiance with this? also whats the chance of getting in? i know i have a long ways to go, but its better to think of it now. thanks
I have been playing gutar about 4 years, I thought about doing the same. But there is really not many job opportunites in this field. But I have also had this talk with my guitar instructor, there really is no point to go to college to become an instructor, you are going to teach to the same audience, at the same price as the person who went to berklee. Except you dont have to pay off the college loans.
Bree that is a matter of opinion and is quite frankly (imho anyway) very bad advice. Going to college is a great idea, whether it's Berklee or a community college with a good music program.

a. you'll be learning new things and more importantly b. if you do go on to teaching you can teach to the absolute best of your knowledge and you will have a decisive advantage over any other teachers as you are formally qualified, by a renown college such as Berklee no less.

Moreover, going to a music program allows you to network with other musicians, helping you get contacts in the music industry and also allowing you to find people you feel comfortable playing with. Very useful if you want to be playing in a band.
Somewhere deep in the archives of the "Virtual Drive" page of my website there is an admissions reference form from Berklee that explains some requirements for entry into their school. I know they require that you take private lessons for a few years before entering. They also expect you to perform well at a recital and their most important requirement is that you pay them TONS of money upon admittance. There are lots of other schools that have very good music departments that will cost much less money, but I would still say Berklee is worth looking into.
Guitarstyles Virtual Drive
i heard that Berklee isnt that hard to get into. you just need to know your theory and then some (jazz, classical, or something extra). the problem usually is the expensive tuition, but if you can afford that, youre set!
Quote by Bree!Bree!
But I have also had this talk with my guitar instructor, there really is no point to go to college to become an instructor, you are going to teach to the same audience, at the same price as the person who went to berklee. Except you dont have to pay off the college loans.

Thats not true, it sounds like something a bitter guitar teacher who doesnt have a degree would say. You will make more teaching at a music school or academy set up with a degree then giving guitar lessons out of a shop or your home.
Look at Shawn Lane,Eddie Van Halen, just to name a few did these guy went to berklee to become a great musician or guitar player? NO! MUSIC U GOT IT OR U DONT!
^^
Steve Vai went to berklee and Vai > EVH & shawn lane
FAIL
Quote by flabber.gast
I used to be a big hip-hop fan, but lately my interest has Wayned a Lil.

Quote by Rocker_geek
^^
Steve Vai went to berklee and Vai > EVH & shawn lane
FAIL

oh no.....

he's good, but so is shawn.

besides, next to learning at berklee, he also learned from satch and from being with zappa.... you can hear zappa's influence in vai's playing very clearly lol
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Mar 24, 2009,
Vai did go to Berklee, but I bet Zappa learned him at least half so much.

If I check what they teach on Berklee, then the only Berklee influence I find in Vai is how he learned about harmonies, and his latest orchestration work.

He is a weird dude, but he's still a rock guitar player by heart and in his playing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
did I say something like him not going to berklee? (or did I make it look like that?)

sorry for that, I'll edit my post
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
If you really want to go to school for music, then do it. I myself went to Berklee and auditioned about a month ago - still waiting to hear back, though. I've only been playing for 4-5 years, with no formal training. The audition process is fast-paced and stressful, but definitely worth doing. I should be hearing back from them within the next week... I'll let you know if I get accepted, it should help you get an idea of what's required to get in.
Keep in mind there are many fields in the music industry, e.g. legal, production, marketing, engineering, touring, internet, etc.

good luck!
My friend was talking about it earlier today, so I decided to check what "Berklee" was, and I think I finally found where I want to go!! Question though, (if anyone knows) for the auditions, do they give you something to play right there? or do you just play something you know, and how hard is it to get in?
Quote by Rocker_geek

Vai > Shawn lane

****ing blasphemy!

Lane was the greatest!

Fail of the day.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by esp1234
Question though, (if anyone knows) for the auditions, do they give you something to play right there? or do you just play something you know, and how hard is it to get in?

Both, and it is not very hard to get accepted (especially compared to other top music schools) but the first year is designed to weed out the weak so if you're not 100% you're pretty much wasting your money.
Quote by jtfletch11
If you really want to go to school for music, then do it. I myself went to Berklee and auditioned about a month ago - still waiting to hear back, though. I've only been playing for 4-5 years, with no formal training. The audition process is fast-paced and stressful, but definitely worth doing. I should be hearing back from them within the next week... I'll let you know if I get accepted, it should help you get an idea of what's required to get in.

alright. thanks

one thing, what are you required to do during the audition
I'd reccommend a music college. I've heard good and bad about Berklee. You can always audition and still not have to go there you know. Take a tour around the place.

I'm at music college at the moment and I absolutely love it! You get to meet so many musicians that you wouldn't do normally you also get to learn loads which is awesome!

3/5 of Dream Theater went to Berklee. Vai went to Berklee... Can't be that bad!
Getting the skills for Berklee is not nearly as hard as getting money for Berklee.

I'd say if you can afford it, and you want to go, then just go. If I had the money, I would have auditioned too.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??