Hey ppl, I'm getting my very own axe in a coupla days;thinking of a Les Paul Studio. I've mostly played on an acoustic and a Squier strat for brief periods. I'm totally into fast alternate picking [ Petrucci, Gilbert,..] kinda playing, and am wondering whether the fat curve of the Les Paul inhibits the quick wrist action..Also, since it gets so high up the forearm, doesn't it get harder to reach the bottom strings? Thing is, I'm having it delivered, so I can't actually test it, and have no access to any Les Pauls. Really appreciate any answers, thanks..
Very bad idea. You should really try it out. The LP is very different from other guitars you play. I personally hate them, but the Gold Tops are sexy as hell.
when I got my first LP it took about a day to get used to it and about a week to get really comfortable with it. The feel is different, and it'll take a little getting used to but it's worth it.
Quote by shishir723

have no access to any Les Pauls. Really appreciate any answers, thanks..

Lies

go to ANY guitar shop and there will be one
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
If you can pull off fast picking on an acoustic you should be able to do it on any goddamn thing with strings.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by chimpinatux
Lies

go to ANY guitar shop and there will be one

Not every store carries the Les paul hes lookin 4
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
i like picking on my les paul cause i can rest my hand in the "ditch" in between the bridge and the tailpiece!
Quote by John5rules125

No but the shape is universal

That is what he is most concerned about
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by John5rules125

a les paul is a les paul
the only difference is the neck n weight
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by shishir723

Hey ppl, I'm getting my very own axe in a coupla days;thinking of a Les Paul Studio.

Kinda looks like hes only looking for an LP studio. Nice try though
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by stephen_rettie
the SHAPE is the same though.

He doesnt get it, leave it at that

Anyway, its always advisable to play a guitar before buying, preferably you try the one your going to buy
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
HOHHHHHHHH wow im and idiot

Im sorry, yeah no everywhere theres a lp shaped guitar

Again, sry for the stupidness
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Squier Strat = 3-legged stool
Les Paul = Leather reclining chair
You will love it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Theres no authorized gibson or epiphone dealers anywhere near where I live. It a 2-3 hour drive to get there and even then theres like 2 LPs in the whole store. I live closer to canada than a decent guitar store. Bu i got my PRS without ever playing it and i love that guitar.
I am an officially ordained Dudist Priest.

"Human beings are miraculous for their ability to learn and adapt from their mistakes, but even more so for their apparent disinclination to do so." Douglas Adams
Yeah, I live in India, and there are NO Gibson dealers here whatsoever... yeah steven_rettie, do you find that its easier to speed pick on a thinner bodied guitar?
I bought my Epi SG without playing it and hated it (first guitar too). It wasn't bad, it just wasn't right for me. I actually don't like any Gibsons or Epis even though they can be some of the sexiest guitars. It's a matter of personal taste and comfort.
No, I hated it, I still hate it. I hated the neck. It wasn't right for me. The neck shape sucked and I don't like finished necks. I also don't like the bridge. I didn't mind because I didn't have anything else and I didn't play anything besides that. But after I started shopping for a new guitar, I realized that I didn't like it and why. I bought a new guitar. Then I changed the pups on my SG cuz I had a little extra money. It sounds awesome, but it's still a pain to play. I've only played it about 3 time since I changed them and that was in the 1st week. Now it sits in my basement and I'm trying to sell it.