Hi guys, I am new here. Just for some background I have owned many pedals over the years but don't know much about the newer pedals (from 99 to now). I have played many Boss pedals (metal zone, heavy metal, chandler tube drivers, fulltone fuzz pedals, mxr distortion plus, etc.) I started playing again and I am not sure which direction I should go.
I have been using a Boss DS-1 pedal and love the sound it gives with playing chords with my ESP MH1000 w/ EMG 81 in bridge. It sounds pretty good for a cheap pedal. However when I go to do fast leads it seems to lose it and not be very smooth. Part of it could be my playing also. I was wondering should I use another pedal to add more gain to this one for leads or get another pedal that will have enough gain to do both?

I really want something with 5150 gain. I had a Mesa Dual Rectifier and the gain was good but I always preferred the 5150 for lead work. I had a 5150 years back but I need a good clean so I like to use a Fender twin with a pedal. I really liked the sensitivity of the 5150 when playing leads. It covered things up well also if I made an error.

What do you guys think? What pedal do they sell now that sounds good but has insane gain for lead but can still have complete full sounding chords?

OR

Do you guys think I should keep the Boss DS-1 (cheap orange dist. pedal) and put a pedal in front of it for leads? If so which pedal would boost the sensitivity and not feedback?
Last edited by twilightcall at Mar 23, 2009,
Fulltone GT-500 might be worth looking into. It's not "insanely" high gain, but if you have a high gain amp it it will do the job. It also has a built in boost channel for lead work, very tight sound though. I've loved mine for high gain solos (in tandem with a high gain soldano amp).
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
A good thing to know would be what kind of amp you have?
Is it the Fender Twin? You'll not get a very high gain tone out of it.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Try a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. It's basically a DS-1 and a Tubescreamer put into one pedal. It should have the versatility you're looking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhV8r_6uIy8

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-V2-Series-V2JH-Jekyll-Hyde-Overdrive-and-Distortion-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150481
Thanks guys. Yes I use a Fender Twin for clean and currently a PUE Tube for dirty or a DS-1 for dirty. The DS-1 isn't enough for leads though. I like the gain of a 5150 but I can lug around a halfstack and the clean was clean enough for me.

So I am either looking to use the Twin with the DS-1 and some other pedal to boost the gain for leads or the Twin with one pedal that has 5150 type gain and very sensitive for fast leads.

Feel free to ask any ?s that may help me find the right pedal.
Quote by genghiskahn87
Try a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. It's basically a DS-1 and a Tubescreamer put into one pedal. It should have the versatility you're looking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhV8r_6uIy8

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-V2-Series-V2JH-Jekyll-Hyde-Overdrive-and-Distortion-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150481

I could not agree more! I'm using a J&H on all of the soundclips in my profile. I'm not sure how it compares to the 5150 you had, but it sure is versatile; and it does amazingly smooth lead sounds.
get a high gain tube amp and A/B between that and the fender?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Also, you could check out the EH English Muff'n. It has 2 12AX7 tubes to drive the distortion, and with a little OD from the twin, it should give a really natural saturation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TvObbgFr2s

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-English-Muffn-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=153335
The T-Rex Dr. Swamp sounds like the deal
Dr. Swamp's awesomeness
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Thanks guys. My Twin is pure clean it is a vintage Twin Reverb. It really stays clean all the way so I need something that will give a ton of distortion on its own. (similiar to a 5150)
We mainly plays covers from STP, 3 doors down, Collective Soul, Linkin Park, Buckcherry to 80s Quiet Riot, Twister Sister, Def Lep., to 90s Metallica.

Just thought this might help with the sounds I need.
Honestly the Jekyll and Hyde lead sounds good but the overdrive isn't heavy enough for the stuff I play. I need a pretty heavy distortion with low end crunch and then I need to kick it to even more gain for the fast lead work for me.
Try getting a digital pedal if that's the case.
You'll not OD a great clean amp well enough to get up to a 5150 with an traditional analogue pedal unless you go HELLISHLY loud.
With digital, you wouldn't need the volume to break up, but you'd lose some so called 'traditional' tone.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by twilightcall
Honestly the Jekyll and Hyde lead sounds good but the overdrive isn't heavy enough for the stuff I play. I need a pretty heavy distortion with low end crunch and then I need to kick it to even more gain for the fast lead work for me.

Are you quite sure about this? There's two gain knobs; one for the TS-side, and one for the distortion side. I never use both full open, because of the fact that it's just way too much gain for me to handle... See if you can try one out somewhere, it really is a brilliant pedal; and it has so much gain, I can't believe you think it doesn't have enough...
I was just going by the demo. The Jekyll part sounded like a Tubescreamer and that isn't gainy enough for Linkin Park, STP and older Metallica IMHO. I am sure the Hyde part would be just fine for the STP, Linkin Park etc. but then I still don't have a lead pedal. I would just be using the jekyll portion for the songs and not be able to kick in anymore gain for the leads. From what I heard the Jekyll was way to clean for STP, Collective Soul, Linkin Park, Metallica etc.

The metal muff seemed to sound the closest but sounds too fuzzy. I wanted smoother tone distorted tone.

I have no intention of trying to overdrive the Twin. It is just for clean. Thats it. The pedal is for distortion and lead.
well if you are looking for a 5150 distortion you might as well try out satch's new pedal. it's based off his amp's distortion the JSX and the JSX is based off the XXX and 5150. so i think that would get the sound you are looking for.
Well, theres a new 112 60 watt 6505+ combo coming out VERY soon and it's only $500-$600.
6505 is the exact same thing as a 5150 by the way.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000