I know there's alot of these threads. "Are there any bands similar to *******", but, I couldn't find any that really gave me the hints I needed.

I would like to start to listen to a band who sounds similar to (guess who) Dream Theater (shocker!)

I've bought both albums by Circus Maximus, and they were both really nice, but not more interesting then DM.

I tried Tool, but it just wasn't my type of music, and I didn't really feel the prog either. Then again, I've only heard Ænima(the album, not the song).

I bought Blackwater Park (Opeth), and it was really nice, but i'm not a big fan of growling, so I'm able to listen to about 1/2 of the album.

Andromeda seems really interesting, and so does Ayreon, but it's hard to find CD's by them.

Also, it would be really nice to have some original bands suggested. I do know alot of good Prog bands (PoS, Disillusion and Zero Hour), but I want to listen to a band that no one of my friends are interested in, so I won't be called a copycat.
And the winner is...Adagio!

Check them out, really good prog band.
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
Yeah, but only their older albums. The new one isn't that proggy (which makes it sound better to me )
Opeth is the best prog band ever. /thread
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Gave the song "Dominate" a listen. Quite good, reminded me of a blend of Cannibal Corpse, Megadeth and Andromeda. But feel free to come with more suggestions if you wanna.

And Opeth is quite good yes, very good instrumentally, but I just cannot bear the growling. But he does have a really good voice when not growling though, like in Harvest and Bleak.
I'd say Liquid Tension Experiment, which is more or less Dream Theater without vocals :p

Bigelf also, not really like Dream Theater but a really good prog band.

Edit : And Cynic, if you don't mind the vocals.
Last edited by Djaganath at Mar 23, 2009,
Yeah, heard about that But John Myung isn't in the band? He's like 1/3 the reason that Dream Theater is one of my fav bands.
Oh yes, Cynic. I don't know if you would like Death or Control Denied

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Def Cynic, you *might* like the Receiving End of Sirens, they're more experimental than prog though.

You also might like Protest the Hero.
Couldn't find anything by Def Cynic, and REoS reminded me abit of first album by Lostprophets, but was nonetheless cool.

Protest the Hero was really good though, intstrumentally. I did not like the vocalist, not one bit. Sounds like an angst-filled teenager.
Quote by Thomblin
Couldn't find anything by Def Cynic, and REoS reminded me abit of first album by Lostprophets, but was nonetheless cool.

Protest the Hero was really good though, intstrumentally. I did not like the vocalist, not one bit. Sounds like an angst-filled teenager.

He mean definitely check out Cynic. They are great, and their new album probably caters to your tastes more than their first album, but get them both.

Try and find something by Shadow Gallery as well. I only have Room V but it's good.

Another band in a similar vein to Dream Theater would be Symphony X (I can't believe no-one else mentioned them!). Great music, great vocals - better than LaBrie's I reckon. Check out V: The New Mythology Suite, The Divine Wings of Tragedy or, if you're looking for their 'heavier' stuff, check out their newest album Paradise Lost.

Quote by Thomblin

...but I want to listen to a band that no one of my friends are interested in, so I won't be called a copycat.

That's kind of the wrong reason to go looking into music IMO, but if you find something good, then good for you.
Last edited by soulflyV at Mar 24, 2009,
I actually bought Divine Wings of Tragedy 2 weeks ago. It was quite cool, a little Power Metal, but still really good. But I don't know why people say it's heavier then DM, almost every song on ToT and Sys.Chaos was heavier then Symph.X. But it was quite good.

Shadow Gallery is great, reminds me of Andromeda and such, but just like Andromeda, hard to find CD's by them.

I wonder, would Porcupine Tree be something I would like? Heard about them, since they're like the most mentioned band in the Prog Scene, but haven't taken the time to give them a listen.
Well, if you like Opeth and Dream Theater, I would say Porcupine Tree would be up there for you to listen to.

Their earlier stuff is not very heavy, but is really good. The stuff from around 2000 onwards is where the band takes a heavier approach to their music. I started with In Absentia, moved on to Fear Of A Blank Planet, then Deadwing and their earlier stuff, like Voyage 34 and Lightbulb Sun. Look up the songs Blackest Eyes, The Sound of Muzak and perhaps Open Car and Mellotron Scratch to get a small taste of what they've got.
Quote by Thomblin
I bought Blackwater Park (Opeth), and it was really nice, but i'm not a big fan of growling, so I'm able to listen to about 1/2 of the album.

You should get their "Damnation" album. It's basically a whole album dedicated to their more proggy and softer side rather than the br00tal methul gr0wlz side. I would advise that you try to get past the growling though; even if you don't like that it is AWESOME music.

Also you should check out Redemption if you like Symphony X and Dream Theater; in my opinion Redemption lies somewhere between the two and with slightly more introspective lyrics than either.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Thomblin
Couldn't find anything by Def Cynic

Quote by Sami Philadelph