... Does anyone have useful exercises to achieve this? My finger independence is fairly good, but often when I'm playing scales and chromatics I find my 4th finger acting with my 3rd, or just sloppily fretting the string with the whole finger instead of the very tip - which is what I'm aiming for - because it's too hard to curl it when it's interdependent on my other fingers.
Nothing other than practice can make you better, so just keep practiceing.
Write your own lick or something that uses the 3rd and 4th independently. Craft it to your intense liking, so you're intrinsically motivated to play it well. I find that personal music is more effective than playing other people's music when it comes to learning. As Stick40 said, practice is key!
just be concious of it while you play. when practicing scales, look at your fingers to make sure there going to the right fret.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Work on trills alot bewteen those fingers, very basic but it gets the job done if you spend a little time each day with it.
Quote by Silky Smooth
Work on trills alot bewteen those fingers, very basic but it gets the job done if you spend a little time each day with it.

this
EDIT: Wrong thread
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Last edited by TehMasterSword at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by Stick40
Nothing other than practice can make you better, so just keep practiceing.

He's wondering what to practice .

Hmm.. to develop finger independence, i recommend this page: http://justinguitar.com/en/TE-001-FingerGym.php .

It has helped me tons! Also check out the spider excercise. Both a great great lessons!

But i think i'll give you the best advice i've ever gotten: Technique is not the only thing you'll need. What does it matter if you have the ability to shred insanely, without knowing what to play to make it sound good?
Last edited by dogmax at Mar 23, 2009,
^ he has a great point, thank god someone actually agrees with what i usally say, thank you for beating me to it.
Quote by dogmax
What does it matter if you have the ability to shred insanely, without knowing what to play to make it sound good?

What does it matter if you're the most emotional bleeding-heart "woman left me, lost my job" hard-luck person in the world if you can't play guitar worth a damn?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??