ive jsut bought a mixer for my band and we already have a few reasonable quality mics and i think we can do some half decent recordings but my singer is insistent on waiting months and months before doing ANYTHING jsut so he can buy a mic thats probably not really a great lot better than what we have now. i mean is it worth wasting that much time (we wont even be able to gig in that time because no one will offer us gigs until we have a demo or anything) without any real proof that its actually any good.

surely we should try and get some stuff done as soon as possible so we can start building up a fan base and doing more gigs so we can constantly build ourselves up, rather than waiting forever before making a move?
If your singer don't work, maybe you could get a new one. I don't think the issue is the mic.
What mic is he waiting for, and what mic have you got already?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by fly135
If your singer don't work, maybe you could get a new one. I don't think the issue is the mic.

thats not the problem i understand what he's saying, he wants the best sound we can get, and im the same with my guitar sound, but will an expensive mic be worth waiting ages when we'll be doing nothing?
just make the demo with the ones you have for now and remake them later with his "super-mic"
Quote by groose
just make the demo with the ones you have for now and remake them later with his "super-mic"

+1. If nothing else it will give you recording experience. To wait around not doing anything would be stupid. Besides everyone records rough demos.
Quote by groose

Agreed.

Even if you have a rockband mic and your waiting for a few neumann's to come through, you still need the experience.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Also consider... what is the rest of your signal chain? ie. what preamp, converters, etc. are you using? For instance, if you're just going into a Soundballer card anyways, waiting for a better mic really won't make a lick of a difference anyways. If you're running through a nice mid-range pre like like an FMR RNP or something, then running a better mic will be better.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Even if the mic is loads better, just record anyway. From the sounds of it, you're only using it for his vocals anyway, so you can just rerecord them when he gets the mic.

But what are the mics you have now, and what is the mic he is waiting for ?
There is poetry in despair.