DISCLAIMER: I'm not looking for TEH BROOTALZ METULZ or CRUSHING OVERDRIVE.

I visited a local music shop a few weeks back looking for amp/pedal recommendations, and was given either:

Marshall MG series (No freaking way... tried one and they sucked and I know UG hate them )

Vox Valvetronic series amps.

I wasn't given much more than that, apart from a vocal PA. Is the Valvetronic series a decent mid range amp? they're about 400GBP for a 100w model so they aren't exactly cheap. I'm looking at practice room/pub gig scenarios, by the way.

I wasn't given a bass amp recommendation, so i'm entirely open to that. I'm going to revisit a store on thursday so this is really just what would be good to try out, I'm not really too up on amps.

Also, we were looking at a behringer noise reduction pedal. Basically when you stomp on the pedal, noise just disappears. Would these be OK for a bass too? It's not actually an FX pedal as such so I thought it would be.

EDIT: This is for soft rock and pop punk type stuff.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Mar 23, 2009,
As far as bass amps go, Ashdown are relatively inexpensive and sound great. Don't know what size you're looking for though.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
75 to 100 watts probably. Nothing too big but at the same time we want something big enough that we won't have to buy new stuff again in 12 months time.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

The Vox AD Series are good amps, though they're not build to be used for gigs. The ADXT or VT series are even better and you can gig with it. You wouldn't need more than 50w I think, they're pretty loud. They are also better then most tubeamps in this pricerange, so if you like them, get one.

Also, stay away from CHEAP behringerproducts. They tend to break and are noisy as hell.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Pretty much all the gear recommended to you is subpar.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Pretty much all the gear recommended to you is subpar.

Then could you help me and recommend me some good stuff?

I really don't know what i'm looking at buying here, that's why I turned to UG. I know the likes of line 6, lower end marshalls, etc are to avoided. I just have a requirement of high quality-ish, max of 500GBP an amp and I need a guitar/bass amp.

I just wanted some opinions on what would be some decent things to try once I get to the music shop, not what to avoid because I know what to avoid. My college uses line 6 stuff and it's awful.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice