Why do people sometimes call a tremelo arm a whammy bar? I realize it can make a whammy sound and it does alter the pitch, but it sounds like a term a 10 year old would use.

Where did this come from?
a 10 year old, probably.

have you ever considered that tremolo might be the wrong word for it too?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
a 10 year old, probably.

have you ever considered that tremolo might be the wrong word for it too?

Oh dear xD Whatever is it to be called?! That bar that moves around and makes cool noises?
Quote by Slash42x
Oh dear xD Whatever is it to be called?! That bar that moves around and makes cool noises?

vibrato.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
vibrato.

Is that the official word for it? I've heard that a lot.
vibrato bar is more the technical term for it...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Slash42x
Is that the official word for it? I've heard that a lot.

yep.

tremolo is a change in volume.

vibrato is change in pitch.

leo fender got them mixed up somehow and they've been used 'incorrectly' by most guitarists since.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
yep.

leo fender got them mixed up somehow and they've been used 'incorrectly' by most guitarists since.

exactly what he said.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by Lemoninfluence
yep.

ah! learn something new everyday.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Indeed it's a vibrato though there's nothing wrong with calling it a whammy bar either. The 'whammy' term was coined by the Floyd Rose uprising in the early 80's. It doesn't really mean anything and I agree it's a childish-sounding name, but it's not actually incorrect either. If it makes you feel any better, just think of it like a slang term.

Calling it a tremolo is definitely wrong though. Tremolo is an effect of volume changing rapidly (or a complete sound/silence switch), a vibrato or whammy bridge causes the pitch to change.

Personally I prefer to say vibrato when I'm referring to the full bridge unit though I use whammy to refer to the bar itself if I'm not talking about the whole bridge (e.g. 'the whammy bar of a vibrato unit').
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
here's MrFibble again with an essay of all the facts needed for guitar life.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
If you think three short paragraphs is an essay, you must have turned in some very disappointing school work.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i always call it a whammy bar, just sounds cooler, easier to say, but isnt the TRUE term for it "Tremolo arm/bar" ?
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
So how would you guys comment on "tremolo picking" term then? Probably another wrong use of the word "tremolo"?
Quote by MrFlibble
If you think three short paragraphs is an essay, you must have turned in some very disappointing school work.

hmm... well, since some of my teachers consider 3 paragraphs an essay, but i was over exaggerating (sp?). chill...
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by lockdown91
So how would you guys comment on "tremolo picking" term then? Probably another wrong use of the word "tremolo"?
Yup, though the sharp stop/start sound it makes since notes aren't allowed to ring out can sound very similar to a tremolo effect set to flick from full volume to silence very quickly. It's correct, calling it 'tremolo' is wrong, but it makes more sense to call that 'tremolo' than it does to call a vibrato bridge 'tremolo'.

Quote by Tango616
i always call it a whammy bar, just sounds cooler, easier to say, but isnt the TRUE term for it "Tremolo arm/bar" ?
Not at all. The 'true' term is vibrato.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
And when has Wikipedia ever been right? It even contradicts itself in the article as well as on the pages for types of vibrato, outright saying that 'tremolo' isn't actually the correct term.