there is no theory of a particular song.

lol.

do you mean key? or chord progression? or what?
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
im not sure. like the theory, scales or whatever that was used to write that song......
i have no idea
You use your ears.

You obviously don't have a very good grasp of the definition of theory.
Quote by KenjiBeast
You use your ears.

You obviously don't have a very good grasp of the definition of theory.

He knows that.. he said hes new to it ;/

you should read some of the theory stickies on this site
You're asking the wrong question. It's like saying how do I find the grammar in The Catcher in the Rye.

What exactly do you want to find out? Is it a particular song? Do you want us to convince you to learn theory, or do you have a particular question?
Quote by Withakay
You're asking the wrong question. It's like saying how do I find the grammar in The Catcher in the Rye.

Excellent analogy.

If someone said how would I go about analyzing Catcher in the Rye someone could give you a rough guide of what sort of things to look for and some of the questions you might ask.

Similarly, if you are wondering how to approach analysing a song there might be some general questions which you would consider.

Things like:

What makes this song interesting? What makes it work?
What kind of structure does this song have?
Is there anything that stands out in the melodies?
Is there anything that stands out in the harmony?
What kind of rhythms does it use? What kind of beat?
What kind of things are familiar in this song? What kind of things are novel?
What key is it in? Are there any Key changes? How does it transition between parts or between keys?

Etc. Etc. Every question you ask and answer might raise a few more questions that need to be answered. Different songs will see different questions asked of it, some questions will apply to all songs.

There may be a proper methodology to this that is taught in schools but I don't know it. I just start listening and thinking about these kinds of things.

Usually you would start big picture and drill down to see how the smaller parts make up that big picture.
Si
Quote by metalxshredder
im new to theory

Learn theory until you are no longer new at it and are able answer your own question. What your asking us is like walking in to Nasa and asking them "Dudes, how does the shuttle work" ?? It's a big question, and the answer is far over your head
shred is gaudy music
if people don't answer with anything useful then why post at all?
to be honest TS I don't know. if you had the tab you could see what notes are played and then compare them to ovbious scales like the majors and see if it fits. I wouldn't be able to do it by ear though unless the song was fairly easy to pick up dry on the guitar.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot
if people don't answer with anything useful then why post at all?
to be honest TS I don't know. if you had the tab you could see what notes are played and then compare them to ovbious scales like the majors and see if it fits. I wouldn't be able to do it by ear though unless the song was fairly easy to pick up dry on the guitar.

^ you should ask yourself the same question.
shred is gaudy music
i think you're thinking of what key the song is in, but there are way to understand the theory behind the song.
Quote by Freepower
You understand theory, you listen to song. That's pretty much it.

+1

well said. It's really as simple as that
shred is gaudy music