I've been picking up songs by ear for awhile now and have hit of a snag - how to you put rhythm to the melody of the song so that you can practice with a metronome? Is there some trick or is it just based on guessing?
you can feel it, like in any song pretty much, you can tap out the pulse. you then play along to that
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Quote by Cachao
you can feel it, like in any song pretty much, you can tap out the pulse. you then play along to that

Yes, I can feel it, but I want to be mathematically sure and for that, I need to practice with a metronome and know exactly how long each note lasts.

Anyone?

PS. Thanks, but no cookie yet.
I'm not sure if there is a trick, but just try to do it slow, sooner or later it should work.
Maybe it could help you if you'd write it down somewhere.
I'm not sure if there is a trick, but just try to do it slow, sooner or later it should work.
Maybe it could help you if you'd write it down somewhere.

So you're saying that there's no preferred procedure on how to add rhythm to the notes of a song you picked up by ear?

I find that pretty hard to believe...

And yeah, sure, I could write the notes down, but how is that going to help me if I don't know how to add the rhythm?

I know the notes, I know the approximate rhythm, but I don't know how to make that rhythm exact enough to be played with a metronome and exact enough to be played with others.

EDIT:

@blueriver
Any links with guitar specific examples?
Last edited by rovin_guitarist at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by rovin_guitarist
So you're saying that there's no preferred procedure on how to add rhythm to the notes of a song you picked up by ear?

I find that pretty hard to believe...

And yeah, sure, I could write the notes down, but how is that going to help me if I don't know how to add the rhythm?

I know the notes, I know the approximate rhythm, but I don't know how to make that rhythm exact enough to be played with a metronome and exact enough to be played with others.

EDIT:

@blueriver
Any links with guitar specific examples?

No, I'm not saying there isn't one. I'm saying that I am not aware of a certain method.

Well, if you'd have the exact notes (as in sheet music, not tabs) before you, you could practice with a metronome.
It may not be a big help, but that's any advice I can give you.
are you asking how to figure out the exact bpm or are you just talking about getting the rhythm down?

i guess just learn the basics of standard notation, but nobody thinks "quarter note, eighth note, quarter, sixteenth, eighth, sixteenth, eighth. you can just feel it.

anyways, figuring out the rhythm by ear is a lot easier than figuring out the notes by ear.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Mar 24, 2009,
Actually rhythmic dictation is a common and important part of most formal music training.
It helps considerably in the task under discussion. It's seldom all just down to "feel", usually it's a balance between feel, memory and old fashioned counting. You ought to be able to recognise subdivisions of the beat when they occur etc. Writing it out can often help clarify things as well.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
are you asking how to figure out the exact bpm or are you just talking about getting the rhythm down?

Oh no, I can get the rhythm down fine, more or less. I just want to put it into exact measures so that I can practice with a metronome (speed exercises).