for me, it's usually in C time, but then I write it down and tweak it if I feel it would sound better in a different time signature.
Check out my band Disturbed
When it's just riffs, I don't worry about time as long as it has a good feel to it. As long as you can find the beat and (if it's not some complex time signature) tap your foot to it, I'm happy.

However, if I'm going to put it into context, I usually will worry about time so that it won't sound off from the rest of the song. In this case I'll go through and correct it.
Quote by StewieSwan
for me, it's usually in C time, but then I write it down and tweak it if I feel it would sound better in a different time signature.

By C time he means 4/4

4/4 mostly for me, or 6/8 or 12/8 or 3/4
I work with any signature.

I do have a way of getting into one. I usually compose per accents.

I might start with a simple 3 note lick.

Then I might repeat that for 3 times, and then maybe add 2 more notes.

then I have a pulse where every "1" is the accent.

I will have the following; 1,2,3, 1,2,3 1,2,3 1, 2

Which is then 11/8 or 11/16 depending on the rest of the song.

Work with accents, and it will become much more easier to write and play in odd time signatures.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
A time signature is just a way to express what your doing, so technically everything you play is in the right time signature.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
The cool thing about time signatures is that they are built in a way that basically anything you play can have a time signature made for it.

Most people and mainstream bands write in 4/4 or 3/4. Most of the more complex stuff (6/8 7/8 /8/8 10/8 etc) is in classical music.

And yes, 8/8 is different then 4/4. Its 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 as opposed to 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I work with any signature.

I do have a way of getting into one. I usually compose per accents.

I might start with a simple 3 note lick.

Then I might repeat that for 3 times, and then maybe add 2 more notes.

then I have a pulse where every "1" is the accent.

I will have the following; 1,2,3, 1,2,3 1,2,3 1, 2

Which is then 11/8 or 11/16 depending on the rest of the song.

Work with accents, and it will become much more easier to write and play in odd time signatures.

Yes, I discovered this slow build after watching this jam session with Frederick from Meshuggah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6uEt53RULk
Last edited by rebel624 at Mar 24, 2009,
How would it not be in the "correct timing"?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.