Do people still find success at places like the Troubadour or Whisky A Go Go?

I mean, these places still exist right? And they still have live music right? But I have not heard of one band having their "breakout" show at any of these places in LA that 75 percent of all famous musicians in the 60's, 70's, and 80's hit it big at. Just something I was thinking about the other day...
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Most musicians today can have quite a following before they ever play a gig that big thanks to the internet
But these aren't "big" places perse.... they are pretty small night clubs, its just that it was frequented by people who had influence in the music business and saw a lot of talent play there. Probably like only 100 to 200 people actually see the performances, but its all about the word being spread.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
i know they aren't stadium-sized gigs...i was just saying that a band from the middle of nowhere (like KS where I live ) can have a decent enough following before they even go on a tour...just playing local shows and using the net. So they really don't need to rely a 'word-spreading' venue like the bands of the past did.
I've seen plenty of great shows at the Troubadour, it's still happening. Bands are "discovered" on myspace now. It's the future. :-(