To make it short and sweet, how well do different gauges of strings mix together?

To elaborate: In my relatively short career of guitar playing, I find myself somewhat unable to find the perfect set of strings. Mostly relying on Ernie Balls, i've tried everything from SkinnyTop-HeavyBottom, through Regular Slinky's all the way to Super Slinkys.

There is something I like about each set, but none is perfect. So I decided that it might simply be a good idea to mix and match the different sets to get what I like most out of each string.

I adore the Super Slinky set (9,11,16,24,32,42) for it's high strings. They're delicate and wonderful to play, however the lower strings (particularly the E) don't quite work, the string is simply too thin to provide the deep low tone I normally get with my SkinnyTop-HeavyBottoms (10,13,17,30,42,52).

So I thought that I might simply pick out my favourite strings from each set. That would mean I would use 9, 11 and 16 gauge strings at the bottom, then use a 26 gauge D string (from the regular slinky set) as a transition string (to avoid a huge tonal jump, the way it is with SkinnyTop-HeavyBottoms when playing D and G) and then go all out with 42 and 52 gauge A and E strings for the deep heavy tone.

The question is... What can go wrong? Is it possible that a badly picked out set of gauges won't sound well?
What can go wrong?
Intonation, action, truss rod, it'll get out of tune really fast.
And yes, it is possible. Actually, it's quite likely to happen.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Maybe a slightly thicker 6th string to make drop tunings easier, but that's about it.
You'd want to be careful with the tensions. There will be slight tone differences but i dont see why you shouldnt give it a go.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
wouldnt it just be easier to order your own custom sets?

saw a site a while ago but cant remember where
check out a 7 string set, there might be one with those guages, just get rid of the one you wont use
Janick Gers of Iron Maiden plays 10's but keeps the high E out, so his top two strings are both .0.10
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
It could, it could not, you won't know till you try it out. Not many people have tried this cus it's not cheap, but it's not expencive eather
www.juststrings.com

go for it. I used to buy specific strings for a while then I realized I might as well just use skinny top heavy bottom.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
just try it dude. You think Jimi Hendrix went around asking Eric Clapton if his set up would work? NO
well, regarding this, does anyone know what or where I can see what the tensions for certain notes are? like a graph or a function or a table or something?
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
thanks, i must've searched wrongly, you see I'm thinking of putting electric strings and a pickup on a ukulele, and I'm wondering what tensions would be acceptable. I'm going to stick a rod down the neck to strengthen it.
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Last edited by Cachao at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by turtlewax
Janick Gers of Iron Maiden plays 10's but keeps the high E out, so his top two strings are both .0.10

Really? I never knew that