Hey guys Im almost done my body for my guitar and Im going to order a neck offline I found one but it is a floyd rose type it has the cutaway for the locking nuts will this be a problem (im making a fixed bridge) can I just put a piece of wood to fill up to cut or what?

Thanks
Last edited by GterSmith at Mar 23, 2009,
Just keep the nut on it. Shouldn't affect anything if its got a non trem bridge.
Quote by inkandlead
Just keep the nut on it. Shouldn't affect anything if its got a non trem bridge.

You can do this, but it will effect the tuning stability in a bad way.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by inkandlead

Oh So would that help me stay in tune if I left the locking nuts on it?
Quote by Oosh.

Oh lol so best bet is to cover it up with wood?
The cavity? If you can make it seemless i dont see why not. It'll just be a hell of a lot easier to buy a different neck im afraid

Edit: If you use the bolts that go on it its fine as it is.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
The cavity? If you can make it seemless i dont see why not. It'll just be a hell of a lot easier to buy a different neck im afraid

Edit: If you use the bolts that go on it its fine as it is.

The neck looks normal exept for near the headstock there is a little cut where the locking nuts would go, Im not to sure if I could just get a piece of wood and cover it up and then put the string saddle over it

EDIT: Picture (click a few times lol)

Last edited by GterSmith at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by Oosh.

+1

If you use a locking nut for with a fixed bridge, you'll stand no chance of keeping in tune. Floating bridges have tonnes of adjustment to counter how sharp the strings are made when the nut's clamped down. All fixed bridges that I've come across do NOT have enough adjustment to compensate to that degree.

Find or make a neck with a regular nut, otherwise you're stuffed.
Quote by -MintSauce-
+1

If you use a locking nut for with a fixed bridge, you'll stand no chance of keeping in tune. Floating bridges have tonnes of adjustment to counter how sharp the strings are made when the nut's clamped down. All fixed bridges that I've come across do NOT have enough adjustment to compensate to that degree.

Find or make a neck with a regular nut, otherwise you're stuffed.

Is it difficult to make my own neck?
Quote by GterSmith
Is it difficult to make my own neck?

Not at all. You have to be patient, and work accurately, but it'll cost loads less. To be honest, though, you should be able to find a neck to fit with a regular nut. They're everywhere.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Not at all. You have to be patient, and work accurately, but it'll cost loads less. To be honest, though, you should be able to find a neck to fit with a regular nut. They're everywhere.

Yea there are alot but I was looking for a 24 fret one and they all seem to be 22 (the less expensive ones)
I found a neck but Im not sure if it is set up for a floyd rose the specs are :

Neck Wood: Maple
Fretboard Wood: Rosewood
Finish: Satin finish for Back and Clear Gloss finish for Peghead
Inlay: White
Side dots: White
Scale Length: 25-1/2"
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Heel Width: 2-3/16"
Frets: 24 Heavy Jumbo Nickel/Silver Frets (Size: .103" x .046")
Tuner Hole Size: Standard 13/32"
Truss Rod Adjustment: Headstock (Truss rod has been installed already)
Part. No.: JGN-141-SC
From that pic it looks like you could just do a good job of building it up with a piece of rosewood and call it a day.
Quote by inkandlead
From that pic it looks like you could just do a good job of building it up with a piece of rosewood and call it a day.

So basically just fill it in then put the string saddle over it and I should be good to go?