For those of you with Expensive Gear (Custom Guitars/Mesas/Diezels/Engls/etc...)

What kind of jobs do you have?

I'm really interested in becoming a surgeon, but I think it's for the wrong reasons, I mean love chem and biology and the pay is great but i'm afraid I won't be able to do guitar.

So I'm getting a summer job so I can upgrade my gear, and was curious to see the jobs UG'ers with high end gear do...
well im getting the 6505 1x12 and either an LTD or Schecter.. and im starting to work either next week or the week after.. and im going to work at bonkers..which is an arcade place.. and that gear isnt cheep so i guess its just any job you just gotta save up
i dont have a job at the moment but a friend of mine works at in-n-out starting pay=$10 an hour
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
jeez, look at all that gear you already have. i dont think you need to upgrade lol
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I fix watches for 12 hours a week and bought myself a £1500+ custom warwick bass, as well as paying living expenses.

It's very possible to do if ypu budget right- expensive gear is never really far out of reach.

^This

And you could just build your own... It's cheaper that way and you get exactly what you want. It's what I'm doing right now.
if you live with your parents and work a 40 hour week at minumum wage
you can get gear like that easy, you just have to save
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by wizards?
^This

And you could just build your own... It's cheaper that way and you get exactly what you want. It's what I'm doing right now.

It's cheaper, but it's a lot of work, preparation and know-how. Hence why I'm getting someone else to build my 10 string bass when I get round to it
Im gettin a marshall jcm tsl60 head with a 2x12 cab that im buying myself and i havn't even got a job never done a days work in me life except for 2 weeks in an office once. *smug mode*
Quote by Deliriumbassist
10 string bass

5 strings/octaves or ten seperate strings?

Also, I have no job currently, but starting next winter I get to drive snowplows, pays really well
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
You become a surgeon beacause you love people and wanna save them.
My mother was an ER nurse for 20 years , wasn't the best pay in the world for all the hard work she did , but she loved it , she loved helping others out.

If you want to become a surgeon just to buy expensive things , then quit while you ar ahead.
Also , every job that pays enough cash a month to buy expensive gear , dosn't give you enough time to actualy use your gear.
I have a friend who bought a Diezel VH4 and a ****loat of High-End boutique pedals.
And he barely knows anything about playing the guitar beacause he dosn't have enough time to learn anything.He's an IT guy.
well the job i got hired for pays 7.35 and ill work sat + sunday for 16-20 hours and during the summer 40-44 hours so I hope ill be able to buy myself either a
Vox AC 15
Orange Rockerverb 50
Mesa Double/Triple Rec
Fender Lonestar Strat
ESP EC 1000
*insert nice hollowbody (Rickenbacker or a PRS)
some nice ass pedals
Quote by DartS17
5 strings/octaves or ten seperate strings?

Also, I have no job currently, but starting next winter I get to drive snowplows, pays really well

10 seperate.

I'll stop encroaching on you guitarist's territory when you stope Steph Carpenter and Meshuggah from encroaching on mine
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's cheaper, but it's a lot of work, preparation and know-how. Hence why I'm getting someone else to build my 10 string bass when I get round to it

But it's so much fun! Hence the reason I was out in my garage all day sanding my Jackson EX Stealth which I'm refinishing, putting all new harware, new OFR, new Dimarzios, and doing a bunch of fun wiring so I can mod the hell out of this thing...

All I say to get good gear is you have to pawnshop hunt, find something you like, and fix it up.
Quote by Kroaton
You become a surgeon beacause you love people and wanna save them.
My mother was an ER nurse for 20 years , wasn't the best pay in the world for all the hard work she did , but she loved it , she loved helping others out.

If you want to become a surgeon just to buy expensive things , then quit while you ar ahead.
Also , every job that pays enough cash a month to buy expensive gear , dosn't give you enough time to actualy use your gear.
I have a friend who bought a Diezel VH4 and a ****loat of High-End boutique pedals.
And he barely knows anything about playing the guitar beacause he dosn't have enough time to learn anything.He's an IT guy.

Well I love chemistry just the aspect of knowing how everything works I'm more a chemistry guy vs bio and physics but for me fixing a human being is the greatest thing i could ever do.

But I also like floor trading ( i did stocks and forex )
The only contemporary piece of high end gear I have atm is my PRS SC. I've gone through a lot of gear over the past few years from high end to bottom of the barrel. I'm a university student and I do guitar tech work, roadie work and teach beginner lessons here in Buffalo and back home when I'm off from school.

Usually if I'm on the hunt for a specific piece of gear I'll just buy a guitar fix it up sell it and keep doing that until I slowly add up the coin along with other work to afford what it is I want. I've been busting my ass flipping gear and doing roadie work just to afford my PRS and imo its well worth it. I'm looking to get a normal part time job also but at the moment because of my class load I can't (double major and double minor, yes I'm crazy). Once I get a job that can work around my schedule I'll be better off gear wise.

To the OP I say do what you want to do in life and save your pennies no matter what path you take to get the gear you want. Just remember it all takes time.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
10 seperate.

I'll stop encroaching on you guitarist's territory when you stope Steph Carpenter and Meshuggah from encroaching on mine

My god
(and don't assume I'm a only guitarist because I'm in the pit
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by wizards?
But it's so much fun! Hence the reason I was out in my garage all day sanding my Jackson EX Stealth which I'm refinishing, putting all new harware, new OFR, new Dimarzios, and doing a bunch of fun wiring so I can mod the hell out of this thing...

I was doing that kinda thing to a Jazz bass, before the money for that went to my warwick. It's currently in bits, and refinished in silverburst. The bass forum still lynches me from time to time, wondering when it's gonna be done. Apparently the warwick isn't enough for them
Ive got a Laney TT50H and a mid 80's Ampeg 4 x 12 guitar cab
cost me 1500 USD.

i dont know where u live, but if your in the US, craigslist.com is your best friend.

and just so you know, just because your gear has a fat price tag doesn't mean its gonna sound good man. for me, it took three months to find my amp. i had the money, but i had to find the perfect head. so i went to every shop within 20 miles or so, and played every amp head that i could find. i found a Laney (never played one before) and i fell in love with its sound. I rock that with an epi les paul and a fender koa tele, neither are worth that much, but i wouldn't give up my set up for a full orange stack, and matching Gibson Black Beauties.

okay maybe i would, but just to sell it, and buy my stuff back, and take a vacation.
crit my rhymes?:

Lets Get Drunk and Fuck.

Subtle Arrogance

Do you realize, that i can clearly see your clitoris through your jeans?

Quote by Shaepwnsyou
They're very religious, so they have butt sex to save their virginity.
civil engineer/surveyor

get all the gear I want and have very nice things outside of musical gear
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I make minimum wage and I bought a vintage 1955 autographed Chet Atkins Gretsch Hollowbody Electric. No big deal...except I lied...and it's my grandpa's...and it's not autographed or vintage...
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.