So i'm getting rather annoyed and i'd like your opinions on this.

Me and the bassist are arguing over whether we should be recording songs or practising. I say we should be practising because we haven't even played a single gig yet! I keep saying that it's more important to get gigs then to record crappy little tunes that we just made up. He keeps saying that he wants to record at least 2 songs almost everytime we practise!

It's getting completely ridiculous right now. It was ok at first recording one or two songs but this is getting stupid. We hardly ever play as a band anymore

He has this hilarious idea that 'gigs dont accept bands who only have two songs on their myspace, if you wanna get a gig you have to have something to show them'.

Please give serious replies so I can show him that he's being retarded.

Oh and http://www.myspace.com/tutf

Just in case..
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Two songs is enought, but if they're ****ty quality, zero songs is better. Tell your bassist that being a real band encompasses playing shows, not recording before you're ready.
Well, from what you have posted on your Myspace page, I don't think that will get you any gigs. You definitely need to practice, but if recording orginal material is important to him then compromise and record once a month or every couple of weeks and practice the other times.
i suggest you work on your spelling and grammatical skills before even picking up a musical instrument. and after that, hit your bassist on the head with a firm object that will knock some sense into him.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Two songs is enought, but if they're ****ty quality, zero songs is better. Tell your bassist that being a real band encompasses playing shows, not recording before you're ready.

The poor quality isn't my fault. For some reason my band mates thought it'd be an excellent idea to record with their shoddy recording equipment rather than my cubase.

God knows why..
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
i agree that alot venues won't take you on unless you can show them something
however just as many don#t care as long as you sell a certain amount of tickets
you should always be practicing
cant record a song if your barely comfortable playing it
also playing a few gigs can help raise enough cash to record in a decent studio
rather than yoru mates shed with pirated software and crap hardware
you should have a balance between the two: recording songs and performing songs

with my group, we try to record as much as possible, but we schedule gigs anyways, and come showtime we try to get prepared for it. and like when we started playing gigs unprepared, it kinda woke us up to start practicing more.
Recorded songs are like advertisement.

People that organize gigs usually have a look at a band's myspace profile.
Don't forget networking. Become social and tell people about your band and also get to know other bands.

I'd say you should write some songs, nail 'em and record them.
It isn't necessary to have 3494395934 songs on your profile to get a gig.

My English ain't the best, so what. Good luck, mate
Well it's a good thing to record your practise sessions, on your own as well as playing with the whole band. But I've listened to both songs on your Myspace and imho you guys could very well use a bit more practice, (no offense of any kind, it sounded great just the finishing touches that make it stand out your know).

As soon as your live playing comes together properly, you can start gigging. Moreover, if you play one or two songs for the guys at the venue, they'll be more impressed of a solid performance than a few songs on some site...
i suggest you work on your spelling and grammatical skills before even picking up a musical instrument. and after that, hit your bassist on the head with a firm object that will knock some sense into him.

Ok first off.

Capital letters at the start of a sentence.

Secondly, you've put and straight after a pointless fullstop.

Soyoufail.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Practice is more important. Most places will make you audition for a gig anyways, not go to your myspace page. Work on what you have and continue to write. What does the rest of the band think?
I agree with all of your comments actually (except for the guy going on about grammar).

I have good software it's just that my band prefer to do it 'their way'.

We're not bad as a band, we just don't practise enough which is what I want to do more. You know what pisses me off the most actually. Two minutes before practice he writes on facebook some bullcrap excuse about having to look after someone so he couldn't come. So I had to send everyone else back home because the guitarist was sick but we could have played anyway.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Practice is more important. Most places will make you audition for a gig anyways, not go to your myspace page. Work on what you have and continue to write. What does the rest of the band think?

The rest of the band are fairly keen on recording aswell but not in the same way as his obsession with it. We have a few songs but we were mainly looking just to do a few gigs with covers. We're not looking to get paid or play anything big. We've never played a gig before and we just want some experience.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Why are you guys comparing gigs to recording? You're not ready for either! Just practise as a band until you've got some good songs to play! You guys aren't ready for recording or a gig.
Just record some crap songs to make him happy >.>

You can only have 6 up on myspace.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
don't waste time thinking about recording or playing a show unless ur band can play together WELL!
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
The most important thing first of all is to get a set together, which requires rehearsals.
If you wanna do original stuff though, songs need to be written at these rehearsals. With each song written at rehearsals, it's useful to make a live recording of it. It doesn't need to be a good quality recording, just good enough so that you can remember what you did. A portable cassette recorder with a built in mic will do.
Once you've got a set together, start playing gigs. The more gigs you play, the tighter the songs become and may even change slightly as you come up with better ideas for them, this is a gradual process called 'gigging the songs around' and eventualy you will settle on the 'definitive versions of the songs', this is when you go into a recording studio and record the songs properly.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 25, 2009,
Nice new page , but yea practice your ass off.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.