So this is kind of a noob question, but if im improvising in the key of C, and I going to use the A minor penatonic, starting on the 5th fret, or move the whole scale up to the 8th fret on C. Im just a little confused by this, and any help would be great

Sorry I did not make this clear, but the question is, im in the key of C, do I start the penatonic minor scale on A (5th fret) of C (8th fret). Sorry for the confusion
Last edited by buttermilkxxx at Mar 23, 2009,
A minor is on the 5th fret.. if you shift it to the 8th fret and keep the pentatonic scale it becomes C minor not major.
I'll burn your house down.
The minor pentatonic scale stays the same throughout the neck. All you have to do is move it up (or down) to the key you want.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
A scale covers the entire fretboard. If you're playing in C major, play the C major pentatonic. If you're playing in C minor, play the C minor pentatonic.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
what C do you play? is it Major or minor? when u play in C major, it means you play in A minor.

so C Pentatonic Major scale is the same with A pentatonic scale.
they are built by this tones:

C-D-Em-G-Am
just improvise your finger movement.
hope it will help!
Quote by electric_worm7
what C do you play? is it Major or minor? when u play in C major, it means you play in A minor.

so C Pentatonic Major scale is the same with A pentatonic scale.
they are built by this tones:

C-D-Em-G-Am
just improvise your finger movement.
hope it will help!
Dude, what? When you play in C major, you play in C major. A minor is the relative minor, but that doesn't mean its the same as C major or that they're interchangeable in any way. And Em and Am aren't 'tones'. The C major pentatonic is made up of C D E G A.

Lemme clear this up. If you're in the key of X minor, play X minor pentatonic. If you're in the key of X major, play X major pentatonic. You don't play A minor over C major or vice versa.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed