Hello fellow UGer's! It's been awhile since I've posted anything on here but I am looking for some different opinions on buying a new amplifier. As of right now, I have a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with a 2x12 Recto cab and I'm finding it to just be too much amp for my needs. So I'm looking to downgrade a bit and go with a smaller combo style amp. I definitely want to stick with tubes rather than a solid state amp. I am looking for something with a lot of gain as I play mostly punk rock and heavy metal. I'm thinking an amp with about 50 watts is probably all I need because I mainly play in my bedroom with an occasional gig/band practice.

Some amps that I have been interested in are the Marshall TSL601/602 and the JVM combo series so if you have any opinions about those amps and how well they would work for me that would be greatly appreciated! Unfortunately for me, I live in a small town in Montana and have no access to nice equipment to try out for myself.

Also, I would like to try and keep the price under $2,000 U.S. if possible.

Thanks guys for any opinions or advice!!
the first step to failure is trying.
5150/6505 combo!
gibson custom 1957 les paul goldtop darkback reissue
1981 jcm800 2203
2000 ?!!?!?!?

Tube Amps that might interest you
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Peavey JSX combo
Peavey XXX Combo
Mesa/Boogie F-30 / DC3
Marshall JCM 900/800
Atomic Reactor 50w
Diezel Einstein Combo

SS amps
Line 6 Vetta II
Line 6 Flextone
Ampeg VH-140c
Peavey Vypyr series
Roland Cube 80

+ some more i cant remember
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Mar 23, 2009,
Damn it, WTF is back? Oh well...dude, if you don't stop being such an annoying twat, though, you are gonna be banned or blacklisted from the forum.

TS, have you considered a Randall RM50/RM100? Great amps, very versatile with the switchable modules. If you have a Blackface, Plexi and XTC, you can go from Fender clean to Marshall crunch to Bogner high gain in one amp.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^yep im back....... and i have matured now.
feel free to add me
Hey thanks for the input! Another amp I've been looking at is the Krank Revolution combo. Any opinions on that?

Thanks again!
the first step to failure is trying.
The Kranks are love or hate. I love them to bits, but unless you're willing to spend a lot of time playing with the EQ (especially the sweep knob) you might find that they're a pain in the arse. They are very rewarding when you get it right though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^ Krank amps are love/hate here in UG. From trying the amp a while ago i can tell you that it has a crushing distortion channel (Good) but cleans were a bit lacking.
feel free to add me
Which one did you try? The Chadwick has a damn good clean channel. The Rev Jr clean is also surprisingly good considering it doesn't have an independent EQ - playing with one's guitar volume works wonders for it though. The Krankenstein has very little clean (I'm assuming that's what you played) although I'd still say it has more than a 5150/6505.
Quote by Cathbard
^ i tried the Krankenstine. It was good for the heavy stuff but the cleans were not that special. i might try some more Kranks when i go to Florida for the spring break.
feel free to add me
The Krankenstein is (at least this is my guess) Krank doing a 5150.
Quote by Cathbard
I've played the Krankenstein and liked it a lot through a JB/mahogany bodied guitar. Doesn't sound much like a 5150/6505 though. They have a unique tone, they're less 'searing' sounding and more rounded than a 5150

Fernandes Monterey Deluxe
Washburn WI45/FHB
Karina Les Paul Gold Top

--
Peavey 6505