View poll results: Which head?
Fender M80
9 41%
Line 6 Spider II
1 5%
B-52 LG100
12 55%
Voters: 22.
OK so I'm getting a new head (solid state) and I need to know which of the 3 i should get. They are all used and its from only these three:

Fender M80 (100 watts)
Line 6 Spider II (75 watts)
B-52 LG100 (100 watts)

I'm gunna be playing shows with it and hope to put it in active duty in three weeks or so.
So UG what do you think???
(btw I'm trying to decide by 7 tonight ET)
What exactly do you play?

I would go with the Fender M80, because I've played one before and like it. The Spider sucks, and I haven't tried the B-52 but have heard mixed things about them.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
the B-52 pwns the spider,
havent played the fender
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Genres and Max budget please........
out of the list you gave, i'd go with the B-52.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
why get a solid state? why get a solid state head? it would be more wise to save your money buy a tube amp even a combo because then you can mic it!
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Peavey XXX = win.
"In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you"

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
Quote by tearsofmyguitar
Peavey XXX = win.

you mean XXl?
because the peavey XXX is twice as much as any of those other amps
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
The M80 is a damn good head, I'd go for it over 50% of tube heads. Anyone who bashes it hasn't played one and equates Fender SS with Frontman - before the Frontman, Fender SS amps were some of the best, especially the red knob ones like the M80.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Last edited by shadow__666 at Mar 23, 2009,
^ a used XXX head is about $600+ and all of the other amp he listed is about $300 below so the XXX is way out of his budget.
i have never tried an XXL but it is the same price as an Ampeg VH140c which is good for metal.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by B. Heath
why get a solid state? why get a solid state head? it would be more wise to save your money buy a tube amp even a combo because then you can mic it!

GTFO the bandwagon. You can mike a solid state combo or halfstack, in fact odds are you would have to or face a very pissed off sound guy.
Quote by Cathbard
And the XXL head is OK for metal, but they don't come up every day. The Supreme is better though if we're talking Peavey SS.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ a used XXX head is about $600+ and all of the other amp he listed is about $300 below so the XXX is way out of his budget.
i have never tried an XXL but it is the same price as an Ampeg VH140c which is good for metal.

My Bad. In the $300 range, Ibanez TBX150, great solid state, 150 watts so it blows the others out of the water, and its on musicians friend for $250.

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
Quote by tearsofmyguitar
My Bad. In the $300 range, Ibanez TBX150, great solid state, 150 watts so it blows the others out of the water, and its on musicians friend for $250.

i'm not bandwagon-ing, i'm giving good advice. yes, there are good SS heads (supreme is one of them) but the TBX is.....quite sub par IMO
man you are gonna get so flamed for suggesting the TB. i would say go the m80. i have played the combo version and it is very nice. i have heard it with an acoustic through it and it still sounded great.
Quote by tearsofmyguitar

Firstly, your logic is flawed - it may be louder, but it doesn't "blow the others out of the water" unless it sounds better. I own a 15w TBX as part of my starter pack, it sounds like a giant hive of invading killer bees on gain. It probably has more gain than any other amp I've ever played, but all the gain in the world doesn't matter if it sounds sh*te.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Skierinanutshel
i'm not bandwagon-ing, i'm giving good advice. yes, there are good SS heads (supreme is one of them) but the TBX is.....quite sub par IMO

Tone wise, yes, but as far as wattage per dollar, thats pretty fair. And plus he hasn't addressed any effects etc he has, when I played on my friend's TBX through my Gt-8 it sounded fantastic.

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
Quote by tearsofmyguitar
Tone wise, yes, but as far as wattage per dollar, thats pretty fair. And plus he hasn't addressed any effects etc he has, when I played on my friend's TBX through my Gt-8 it sounded fantastic.

that sounds quite to me if i'm being honest. and why pay for wattage per dollar? I could make a very high watt amp but it will sound like teh suck. if your only goal is to get the loudest amp as possible, and have it sound horrible, than i'm not sure what your point is, unless you want to have people leave shows from the headaches they will get.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
that sounds quite to me if i'm being honest. and why pay for wattage per dollar? I could make a very high watt amp but it will sound like teh suck. if your only goal is to get the loudest amp as possible, and have it sound horrible, than i'm not sure what your point is, unless you want to have people leave shows from the headaches they will get.

lol at the barfing face. and fair enough, I really dont have experience with any of the amps he was looking at so I just came in with what I did know.

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
Quote by tearsofmyguitar
lol at the barfing face. and fair enough, I really dont have experience with any of the amps he was looking at so I just came in with what I did know.

any recommendation is helpful, it gets TS thinking regardless. and usually if the thread gets out of hand the WTLTL guys (and gal) step in to straighten things out.
I'm not a WTLTL member, but since I hang out there anyway and dispense advice I consider myself to practically be on there. Plus, I'm the only regular with first hand experience of Australia and New Zealand amp markets.
Quote by Cathbard
I haven't been here long enough. Next year, maybe.
Quote by Cathbard
It's OK, you're not the first man to heart me...although you are the first to do so outside a gay bar.
Quote by Cathbard
I feel more comfortable now. BTW, I'm not gay (although I am theoretically bisexual, I don't like having sex with men), I just have a lot of gay friends.
Quote by Cathbard
yeah, i have a bunch of gay friends (and friends i didnt think were at first, but then became interested in guys). heck, my sisters best male friend (aside from her husband) is gay, and he is a really cool guy. i'd rather hang out with gay guys my age.....oddly enough they are the most mature out of most of the guys i know.

what was this thread about?

oh yes, go with the M80 i would think...the B-52 has some serious QC issues as far as i know.
Yeah, M80. Which I've already said 3 times.
Quote by Cathbard
older Fender ss amps have great cleans, but the drive is pretty bad. (i've got a Fender 85 at my house). the Spider 2 is far far far better than the Spider 3...so i'll be the only one to vote for it in the poll...and recommend it here. *insanely massive flameshield*
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by shadow__666
The M80 is a damn good head, I'd go for it over 50% of tube heads. Anyone who bashes it hasn't played one and equates Fender SS with Frontman - before the Frontman, Fender SS amps were some of the best, especially the red knob ones like the M80.

Amen to that shadow, I own a red knob fender princeton chorus, best SS amp I have ever tried excluding a vetta II
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by shadow__666

I prefer Kustom's original SS heads
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Thanks everybody! I ended up going with the Fender M80.
It seemed like a better choice for the music I play and I've used Fender before.
Thanks again for all your insight.
Quote by spiff389
older Fender ss amps have great cleans, but the drive is pretty bad. (i've got a Fender 85 at my house). the Spider 2 is far far far better than the Spider 3...so i'll be the only one to vote for it in the poll...and recommend it here. *insanely massive flameshield*

the spider II's seemed the same as the III's to me bro, the originals are different though...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.