Well hello mighty guitarists!

Im a new to this whole world of playing guitar, but I really want to learn and play my favorite songs and maybe even create something.

The problem is that I don't have a guitar yet. Ive read all the guides about beginner guitars and all those forum threads with A LOT of different opinions. And almost purchased Seagull S6 (25th aniversary edition cutaway maple) that people praise as a very good beginner instrument.
One thing that is holding me off from actually buying it is that Im not really sure if it will be sounding like I want my guitar to.

What I want is something similar to John Butler (especially), Paco de Lucía, Al di Meola and maybe something a tad more hardcore Nirvana-like sound. I don't want it to be bright, violin-like sounding instrument, but do want it to be warm and fun instead.

Could you please recommend me something or just give directions for what Im looking for? And will that Seagull (25th Anniversary maple edition) be one Im looking for? Or maybe the mahogany one?

Thank you for your time and sorry for any confusion
Last edited by duffy381 at Mar 23, 2009,
I'd look at several Breedlove Atlas series. Go to a local GC if you have one, and they should have plenty.
About the Seagull, the Mahogany one would fit better for your tone, and that is a nice guitar.
Remember, always play every guitar you can!
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
The mahogany anniversary guitar will suit your needs much better than the spruce/maple guitar. The maple is very, very bright. I would know since I have one, haha.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Breedlove AD25/SM looks good too! But isn't it a little too boomy and bassy? How is Seagull compared to it?
I wish my local shop had them in stock
Last edited by duffy381 at Mar 23, 2009,
I've never played the Breedlove, but the Seagull mahogany anniversary model is one smooth and cool customer. Very fun just to pick at and play. It doesn't project incredibly loud, but it's not really made to contend in loudness. If it were, it would have electronics. Also, the mahogany version is all solid wood. That's pretty good for something around $600 only.
Equipment:

I'd steer away from the Breedlove Atlas's.

I had an argument on here the other day about how good they were. Went to a guitar shop yesterday and played almost the entire range and I didn't like any of them. They really aren't very good.

John Butler plays Maton's, and you aren't going to get one of those for your budget. I'm a bit confused because they are especially bright, wheras you've said you don't want that.
I thought about getting 110e, but the parts are laminated and from what I heared lower-end Taylors and Martins are not quite in the same league with their higher-end models.
Now Im also thinking about Yamaha LL-16: got quite decent reviews, consists of solid wood and costs just about $800.
I think Im going to pull the trigger on that mahogany/spruce Seagull 25th Anniversary edition. The price is right plus it's a solid wood. Heard people playing it on the videos and quite liked it, sounds like something I want! I think it's a good choice for a first guitar.

Do you think I will need anything else to start practicing? Like new strings? Or something else?
Picks? Capo? Strings?

You may also want to buy a humidifier for the future. It really depends on relative humidity of where you live though.
Equipment: