how long would it take for me to be able to perform with a band or impress my friends, if i played it everyday
5 mins...
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
depends what you are playing.
If you want to play extreme technical stuff its gonna take a bit
if you wanna play nirvana songs itll take you a week

Not even a week.

But yeah if you want to play technical Death Metal or something it's going to take a while.
forever man, at least 17 years, you shouldn't even bother trying because you will never be good enough to impress anyone.

seriously tho its different for everyone, it took me at least a year before i made something that impressed all of my friends. it took one of my friends like a few months and another friend a few weeks.
Are you seriously asking this question?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
to be a bass player? 5 minutes.

to be a good bassist? depends how quickly you can pick up theory, improv, etc.
anyone who says bassists arent talented is ignorant and believes all bassists just play root notes.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by Xaldin714
how long would it take for me to be able to perform with a band or impress my friends, if i played it everyday

However long it takes to for you to learn Higher Ground.

Im serious
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.

Im serious

touche
i would say never, since you are into it just to impress and not in it for the music.
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Depends on what your definition of 'good' is.

If you want to be able to play most songs, then an hour should make you able to master some songs.

If you want to be playing crazy bass solos like in (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth or Orion, then a few months probably. I've been playing for about 3 weeks and can play most of Orion, but I still don't have the bass solos down.
impossible to tell. it took me 1.5 months to learn my first song. it took me another month to effectively improvise.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by ScottB.

Im serious

/thread.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How long is a piece of string?

I've got a loose thread on my shirt that is about an inch long?
Quote by Valid12891
I've got a loose thread on my shirt that is about an inch long?

rhetorical question, you silly goose.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Music is not instant coffee--no just add water and there you are.
Music is not a competition--there are no medals for getting there first or faster.
Learn all of the notes on your fretboard, find a few guitarists, and a drummer, grab a chord sheet, and stand on the stage playing any given Black Label Society, DragonForce, Guns n' Roses, or some random punk song, while being the singer. That's the easiest way to IMPRESS someone playing the bass.

Being good, on the other hand, takes time.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
As long as it takes you to learn that you love the instrument, generally you'll at least think your the ****.

In the event that you never learn to love the bass ... you may want to re think your choice of instrument.

And hell, usually people who arnt that skilled along musical lines cant tell alot about it anyway so either be confident as hell with what youve got or keep working at it until you are. For the working in a band part just dont be a dick and play in a group with music you love, it should work out or at least be a great deal of fun.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Mar 23, 2009,
I was good from day 1!!!! ok just kidding.

I never considered myself good until I replaced a bassist in a band. they made him learn drums after they heard me play. And now we've actually kicked him out because he wasn't practicing between practices...let alone showing up for practices. Even now I still just consider myself good. not great or amazing. just good. And i've been playing for over 6 years.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
It takes a lifetime. You never stop improving, discovered new things, finding things you suck at and can improve at.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.