My band as been playing small youth groups and backyard parties for free for some while now and everyone tends to like our band. A couple of weeks ago, we played at a 30 hr famine. A guy named TJ said he liked us and he said if we can get 100 people (easy enough, our fan base is huge) he would book us at Incline, which is a huge opportunity because we're going to be playing with the local bands we love, expand our fan base, and we get paid.

Anyways, we all thought that the amount you got paid was split among the bands, depending on how many people were there. But our drummer came to practice today and told us that we have to tell TJ how much we want to get paid. We have no idea how much is too much, and how little is ripping ourselves off. Apparently one band that played there ask for the most amount, and everyone left when they went on.

So, the moral of the story, how much should we ask to play?
When my band plays a gig, we Usually get around 600 to split, and were three guys.

We're not that famous :P
estimate how far u need to travel, how much work its going to involve, what they provide and what you provide. around 400$ would be reasonable at 100 per person, but ask for how much you can get away with ;] . you'll also be negotiating ticket sales and that sort of thing. its up to you guys pretty much
(signature removed, please choose another)
Thanks. I'm new to this, but for some reason those prices seem steep. But thanks for the input.
Originals or covers?

How long is the set?

Are you a headliner, or are you on in the midst of a bunch of bands?

$600 seems steep, but that's based on a number of assumptions I might be making.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
even in our little city of Hamilton New Zealand we average around 600$ for a Friday or Saturday night or on Thursday it is a little less around 450$ between the three of us we also play a set quota of free gigs throughout the year
That's not unusual around here either..... for a cover band who plays a minimum of three full sets, and does so either as a headline act or as the only act on for the evening.

For an original band playing with three other original bands, each doing a single 45-minute set.... not even close, usually.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Depends on what the gig is and what your role is (like axemanchris said, support, headliner etc.)
My band (which is in the US and got its start playing youth group things and conferences) usually gets paid $400-$600 a night in our hometown or surrounding area if we are the headliner. We sometimes still get that rate even in support, but only occasionally. If there are multiple bands on the bill, then it goes down. We also had 400 people show up to a local gig back in October, so I guess it depends on your draw. If you bring 100 people $200-300 dosnt seem too bad to me.
i'd say between $200and $300 depending on how much the tickets are and whether you have to pay for a sound engineer etc
You'd probably never get more than $250 due to your age. Bear in mind if you ask for too little, you'll look unprofessional.

On the other hand, if you're bringing around 100 people, that'll make the bar plenty of cash.
Assuming there's no door charge, $350 seems about right to me if your fans are mostly of drinking age. If they're mostly under 18, play it safe and say $250. Though if there's a door charge $300 seems fair; whether they're buying drinks or not they'll be giving the bar money...

Our band's been working hard for years and are fairly well respected, but lately we've been lucky to get over £150 for a first gig - many bar owners are losing money in these 'troubled times', and booking a new band can be a financial risk...
honestly, i would just ask for like 150 bucks. if he likes you guys he'll give you more, and then next time you could ask for more.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate