some kind of SD's
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
what kind of strat?
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Dimarzios FTW
"In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you"

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
im guessing you dont know much about guitars nor amps. if you bought squier or a strat knock off, [ie a cheap peavy, first act, slammer or whatever] youre not gonna get a tone like that.

if you didnt get a sh*t strat, then why are you changing the pups? no need to waste 200$ on pups if you dont need em.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
im guessing you dont know much about guitars nor amps. if you bought squier or a strat knock off, [ie a cheap peavy, first act, slammer or whatever] youre not gonna get a tone like that.

if you didnt get a sh*t strat, then why are you changing the pups? no need to waste 200$ on pups if you dont need em.

I wasn't aware that people had to keep stock pickups on expensive guitars. I always thought that it was a buy what you like kind of deal. Apparently I was wrong.
Quote by al112987
I wasn't aware that people had to keep stock pickups on expensive guitars. I always thought that it was a buy what you like kind of deal. Apparently I was wrong.

are we celebrating sarcasm-day today

anyway, new pickups would make sense in any guitar! ! ! !
talk to corduroyEW what he can do for you!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by koalabacon

I really don't know what you're talking about. I've been playing guitar for over ten years. And no, I haven't got a "**** strat", it's an American Standard.

Please come with more suggestions!
Quote by Clintway
I really don't know what you're talking about. I've been playing guitar for over ten years. And no, I haven't got a "**** strat", it's an American Standard.

Please come with more suggestions!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Custom-Shop--69-Strat-Pickup-Set-301637-i1127531.gc
Maybe?
Dimarzio makes somereplica 60's strat pickups too
maybe look at duncan antiquities
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
There are a lot of mids in that tone, look for late '60s spec pickups, probably get you something similar.
I've been thinking about getting DiMarzio's Blue Velvet or maybe Class of 55. What do you think about those?
Class of '55 will probably sound a little too scooped. Most '50s style strat pickups are like that.

You might want to look into Fender Texas Specials. They have the type of mids that you want for the tone int hat video.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 24, 2009,
the Dimarzio True Velvets are pretty nice and will get the tone you are seeking

the Dimarzio Red Velvet and Blue Velvet(discontinued) is also very awesome
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Guitar Skater
Duncan Hot Rails

So the guy wants a mid rangy single coil strat tone like the one in the video, and you're going to suggest an over bassy, high output humbucker?
Quote by koalabacon

That's not true. I know a guy who only plays squier strats. 200 dollar guitars. His tone sounds much better than the one in the video. Keep in mind squier strats are not that much further away from the real thing. They are made somewhere else to cut down on cost so they can sell them cheaper. His squiers feel just as good as my standard strat. You can't tell the difference and his sounds better than mine because he has nice pickups and mine is stock. I have the real fender one but if you heard the difference his is much smoother and warmer. Plus the body of a squier is pretty much the same body as the real fender. So you're getting the exact same wood so you put good pickups in it and you're getting the same feeling from the wood they are in.
Quote by Clintway
I really want that kind of "ringing" sort of tone

www.rockmonkeyguitars.com

they're made by UG member CorduroyEW, he'll make you exactly what you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
www.rockmonkeyguitars.com

they're made by UG member CorduroyEW, he'll make you exactly what you want.

eggxactly!

other than that fender 69's could be a choice
but definitely talk to cord!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hcsn2008
That's not true. I know a guy who only plays squier strats. 200 dollar guitars. His tone sounds much better than the one in the video. Keep in mind squier strats are not that much further away from the real thing. They are made somewhere else to cut down on cost so they can sell them cheaper. His squiers feel just as good as my standard strat. You can't tell the difference and his sounds better than mine because he has nice pickups and mine is stock. I have the real fender one but if you heard the difference his is much smoother and warmer. Plus the body of a squier is pretty much the same body as the real fender. So you're getting the exact same wood so you put good pickups in it and you're getting the same feeling from the wood they are in.

Squiers are made from agathis which is terrible tone wood, and MIM strats and up are made from alder. Also the electronics are cheaper on the squier. Just changing the pickups won't make the guitar better than a MIA strat.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by al112987
So the guy wants a mid rangy single coil strat tone like the one in the video, and you're going to suggest an over bassy, high output humbucker?

It works.
Quote by rhcp-legends
fender custom shop 69s

I've been thinking about those too. Are you sure that they sound like the clip?
Quote by Guitar Skater
It works.

Except that they sound nothing like a single coil?
Quote by al112987
Except that they sound nothing like a single coil?

Agree. I definitely don't think that's what I'm looking for.
some other options would be bare knuckle pickups (linky). one of the vintage sets is probably what you are going for. there are lots of soundclips on their forum, so you can really see which set would suit you. ive never tried them personally, but lots of people like their pickups and ive always loved the soundclips. ive also heard that the guy who winds them will talk things through with you and recomend which set he feels is best for you (and even possibly do some adjustments for you).

another option that is also handwound and a bit less expensive is BG pickups (linky numero dos). ive got a set of the vintage 60s and i love them. the clips on his site are good and i can even record something demoing them for you if you would like.

Rock Monkey pickups are also great, and everyone has nothing but great things to say about Cord and his pickups. im thinking about getting some 'buckers from him at some point, but his single coils are supposed to be just as nice.
^have you talked to cord yet?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
^have you talked to cord yet?

No, I haven't. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with ordering from him. Besides, the shipping will be rather expensive.
Shipping would be expensive from BKP as well.

I would definitely talk to CorduroyEW. He gives a discount to UG members. No more reason to feel uncomfortable ordering from him than any other small winder.

If you're in the USA though, there are a bunch of guys around here that wind great pickups as well, Fralin, Lollar, and also Jim Wagner at WCR occasionally winds a set of single coils which many regard as the best single coils (un)available (I heard he stopped making them except on special occasion).
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by Clintway
No, I haven't. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with ordering from him. Besides, the shipping will be rather expensive.

that's totally based on assumtions - hes a great guy to deal with!
BKP is from the UK, too, so that won't be any cheaper.

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
that's totally based on assumtions - hes a great guy to deal with!
BKP is from the UK, too, so that won't be any cheaper.

In addition, I have absolutely no idea what they sound like.
Quote by JoePerry4life
Squiers are made from agathis which is terrible tone wood, and MIM strats and up are made from alder. Also the electronics are cheaper on the squier. Just changing the pickups won't make the guitar better than a MIA strat.

Not all squiers are made of agathis, there are squiers made of alder
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Clintway

well, the thing with pickups is that you really won't have any idea what they sound like in your guitar through your setup and played by you until you have them - what makes cord so great here is that he a) gives you the pickups YOU specified based on his models and b) gives you enough time to get accustomed to them, to solve any problems that occur, and if you happen to not like em you can get a rewind or your money back.

BTW, this is not advertising, its convincing!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by Clintway

You have no idea what ANY pickup will sound like until it's installed in your guitar and plugged into your rig.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com