i have a cheap ibanez and i recently put some ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom strings on and apparently the nut's too small so the E string pops out when i play fairly hard, i mean not super hard but somewhere in the middle. i was wondering if anyone had a way to like make the grooves in the nut bigger.
If it's not a very deep cut, you can use a file to make it deeper, and finish up with sandpaper so there's no sharp edges to cut the string (or you!).

But before you do that, check the action. If it's way up at the bridge, that won't help.
Quote by alexo430
i have a cheap ibanez and i recently put some ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom strings on and apparently the nut's too small so the E string pops out when i play fairly hard, i mean not super hard but somewhere in the middle. i was wondering if anyone had a way to like make the grooves in the nut bigger.

It wouldn't be the most reliable alternative, but you could slightly wrap it with tape, just enough that it fits through the back slot but doesn't slide through the front one. But that is temporary, to be honest I would say get strings w/ nuts that will more correctly fit your guitar next time.
Quote by Mazzakazza
If it's not a very deep cut, you can use a file to make it deeper, and finish up with sandpaper so there's no sharp edges to cut the string (or you!).

But before you do that, check the action. If it's way up at the bridge, that won't help.

okey dokey thank you very much