Howdy Folks! I've been working on my technique lately, and one of the things I've been focusing on is sweeping.

Now, I understand that the vast majority of sweep licks are arpeggio-based, but has there been any real exploration of sweep-picking in a scalar sense?

Here's a really simple example of what I'm talking about. It's in Am Pentatonic.

v   v    v     ^   ^ 
E|----------5-8-5--------- 
B|-----5-8--------7-8----- 
G|-5-7-----------------7-5 
D|-------------------------- 
A|-------------------------- 
E|--------------------------
I see that more as lots of hammer-ons, pull-offs, and the basics of economy picking.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
That is not sweep picking, simply because it doesn't require sweeping.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
There is a concept called economy picking, which is like sweeping but mixed with alternate picking. For example, in a three notes per string scale, before you cross to the next string you are on a downstroke. Instead of picking the next note with an up, you do a small two string downward sweep to the next string. This idea is used by players like Frank Gambale to shred through scales at ridiculous speeds.
Now, I understand that the vast majority of sweep licks are arpeggio-based, but has there been any real exploration of sweep-picking in a scalar sense?

Absolutely. Take a look at Frank Gambale.
Just a quick related question;

I cant use that code stuff, lol. So i'll have to explain.

I was trying to learn this sweep that had 2 octaves in it. It involved playing the first 3 notes Starting on the A string (12th fret) D string (10th fret) and G (9th fret). Then it moves up to G string 14th fret, B string 13th fret, and E 12th fret. Then back down again. But As you move up and down, you have to use the same string for 2 notes (g string) I think im sweeping it, but for the 2 notes on 1 string, i have to do a bit of economy...Is this right? Or should i be doing a hammer on/pull-off which is actually quite difficult.