Will it hurt my nut? I'm going to put them on my SG, but accidently ordered 10's instead of 9's.

Edit: I normally use ernie ball super slinky 9's. I got hot pink DR extra life coated 10's on a whim.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Last edited by Angus_Junior35 at Mar 23, 2009,
it wont do anything unless its a drastic change i think
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
if it's just the stock nut that came with the guitar then i wouldn't worry. 9s are lighter than standard anyway, your nut could accomodate much higher than 10s.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
should be fine
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You wont have any problem at all. Im so surprised you even use 9's , let alone 10's.
When i used to play in standard I use 11's, and one of my buddys used 12's
AFAIK all stock guitars come with 9's right? I slapped 10's on my LP immediately - never had problems

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
its not gonna hurt your nut (lol).
just adjust your intonation when you restring your guitar to 10s.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
best mistake youve made in a while imho lol, better yet would be 11's
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
it won't hurt the nut. what it will affect is the intonation. however small, any change in string gauge will effect how much tension is exerted over the neck and body. Depending on your guitar, and how it was set up, and how it was built, it could make a huge difference or barely any difference.

going from 9's to 10's is not that drastic a step though. it's not like your guitar will break in half, lol... but it will change it a bit. if you put on the 10's and you really think it sounds off, then you'll have your answer. a simple truss rod adjustment performed by anyone who knows how will fix that problem.

9's are the factory standard for most (but not all) guitars. as for what most people prefer... 9's and 10's are the standard for rock and pop, sometimes 11's. a decent rule of thumb is that the heavier the music, the heavier the strings will be. this is not universal, but it's a good guide. if you just wanna play zeppelin and floyd and rush, 10's will be just fine. if you wanna downtune everything you play, have 11's at least. the thicker a string is, the better your intonation on chords will be, since it's harder to momentarily knock the string out of tune when playing hard.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Mar 23, 2009,
I use 13's on my Ibanez and 10's on my Gibson. I wouldn't worry at all.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
It wont hurt your nut but prepare to have your neck adjusted
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Will it hurt my nut?

Only if a string snaps and flicks back at you...

Thanks...Im here all night.
Quote by BlisteringDDj
I use 13's on my Ibanez and 10's on my Gibson. I wouldn't worry at all.

Doesn't the change in tension feel weird? I used my acoustic (strung with 0.13s) for a long while, then played on my electrics (0.11s), and they felt like toys.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
13's won't hurt your nut, dude. They didn't used to make .009 gauge strings before the late 70's anyway, I don't think =/
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Some people like 9s because they're easy to bend and they never downtune, why do you care what gauge he uses?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Hot pink, so metal!!
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
I use the peacock blue strings on my metal guitars. Yeah, peacock. Brutal as ****.
Quote by Say Ocean
You use 9s on a 24.75" scale guitar? ...........are you a girl?

Yes, I am. And it's not a real SG, it's a Jay Turser JT50 SG copy.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I used to rock 9's on my RG321 just because I found it easier to bend and do vibrato. Now I wanna jump up to 10's because I feel a little more tension might make everything a little smoother.

Either way, minor truss rod adjustments are all you should need to stay golden.
Quote by Say Ocean
A little defensive eh.

Haha, I can see how it came off as defensive, but I was seriously asking. Why do people care what string gauge other people use? It's all a preference thing, just like pick brand and thickness.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
No, it won't hurt it. They come stock with .010's anyway. It'll fit better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Jhachey22
Doesn't the change in tension feel weird? I used my acoustic (strung with 0.13s) for a long while, then played on my electrics (0.11s), and they felt like toys.

Yeah it does. At the moment I have my Ibanez downtuned to C Standard, therefore it's not that noticable, but I do play acoustics with 13's regularly.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
The SG has a shorter scale length than a strat. That means the strings on the SG need less tension to come up to pitch. I play 9's or 10's on my strat and Tele. But I would never put 9's on my SG. Too wimpy. Stick with the 10's. Your nut should be fine.

Edit: Just noticed that Say Ocean already called out that point.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 24, 2009,
10's are not going to hurt your guitar. Only thing it might do is knock the intonation out and that's easy to fix. Might have to adjust your action different too if you want it to fee like it did before. Hell you could throw 12's on there and it's not going to hurt the nut.
if you're putting strings on your nuts.. it won't hurt until you start putting tension on them.

:P

dumb jokes aside, changing 1 increment of string gauge will change only a few small things on your guitar. a slight tweak of the truss rod MAY be needed due to extra tension.. but not too likely.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by fly135
The SG has a shorter scale length than a strat. That means the strings on the SG need less tension to come up to pitch. I play 9's or 10's on my strat and Tele. But I would never put 9's on my SG. Too wimpy. Stick with the 10's. Your nut should be fine.

Edit: Just noticed that Say Ocean already called out that point.

Yeah, they feel better and sound better on a long scale. I only play long scales now but honestly I used the same gauges on short scale guitars when I used them and it's still hard for me to tell a lot of difference. Just slightly. I wouldn't use 9's though they feel weak and they sound weak. Heavier strings can be just as easy as 9's to play and bend as easy when your fingers get used to them.

Plus to me heavier strings are easier because it's easy to play thrash riffs or speed pick on them. 10-52 is what I use in drop c. I can't even use 10-50 in drop c. Even that slightly lighter heavy string doesn't hold up with fast picking. Then you got the 10's for the lead so it works out. Hybrid gauges are the best. You get the best of both worlds.
Quote by Kivarenn82
if you're putting strings on your nuts.. it won't hurt until you start putting tension on them.

:P

dumb jokes aside, changing 1 increment of string gauge will change only a few small things on your guitar. a slight tweak of the truss rod MAY be needed due to extra tension.. but not too likely.

Yeah... I doubt he even needs a truss rod adjustment. 10's are not to heavy. I've went 10-52 on a guitar that was set up for 9's and the truss rod was still fine. There was one I had to adjust not long ago though because it was hitting the first fret some and I had to put a level underneath the nut to raise the nut so it wouldn't hit the fretboard. But that's my mistake for buying another ibanez guitar. They always need fretwork and I didn't have the money for it. Won't buy another one.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
best mistake youve made in a while imho lol, better yet would be 11's

.11's and .12's are ftw
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Say Ocean
I called it! But seriously, it'll be fine, you won't bust your nut ( )

Actually, I'm a guy, I just wanted to see if I could get some extra profile views.
Although, isn't that what the pit's for?
Quote by silhouettica

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
man up, get some 13's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^ or be a real man and buy barbwire for strings.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
man up, get some 13's

Straight up. 13's on electric 14's on acoustic.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ or be a real chuck norris and buy barbwire for strings.

fixed
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.