36 64%
Roland Cube
13 23%
Keep current amp
4 7%
Other (specify)
10 18%
Voters: 56.
Ok, so I need to replace my guitar amp for obvious reasons. I'm going to get some cash together and trade in my Spider for store credit, and then get a new amp that will actually get used. So, which would be the best?
sorry dude but you should save more, $100 dollars is like almost nothing
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
why don't you use the spider? that's a much better amp than any $100 amp you can get...
I'd rather save up and get something better than any of those. The Spider's not great, but going from one beginner's amp to some other one is a waste of money imo. Eh, at least you don't have an MG, so it's not THAT bad imo.

Quote by JChrist521
why don't you use the spider? that's a much better amp than any $100 amp you can get...

It's painfully mediocre to my ears. I'd rather have something else.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by littlejoy
sorry dude but you should save more, $100 dollars is like almost nothing

I'm aware that it's nothing in the music world, but I don't really need something better than a $100 amp currently. I'm mainly a bass player, and I just need something that sounds good enough to practice on.

Quote by TheQuailman
I'd rather save up and get something better than any of those. The Spider's not great, but going from one beginner's amp to some other one is a waste of money imo. Eh, at least you don't have an MG, so it's not THAT bad imo.

Well at the moment I'd just prefer playing my guitar through an actual guitar amp. I might get a $200 amp sometime soon, but first thing I'm gonna do is just get a decent guitar.

Quote by JChrist521

You kidding? It sounds horrible.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Mar 23, 2009,
save up for another $100 and get the Vypyr 30. its 10x better than the 15w. the 30 has blue marvel speaker, capable of using the sanpera I/II and it has the stompbox effects.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
It looks like you can sell your line 6 for about 150 bucks on craigslist. I would save some more money, like 300 and then buy a decent amp. No amp you can buy new or used for 100 bucks is going to sound any better than your current amp. When you can spend 300+ on a used amp, then you will actually have a decent upgrade for your spider. Not sure of your needs, as far as wattage, but there are number of decent amps of all genres in the 300-500 range.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
save up for another $100 and get the Vypyr 30. its 10x better than the 15w. the 30 has blue marvel speaker, capable of using the sanpera I/II and it has the stompbox effects.

I'll consider doing that.

Quote by Chetbango
It looks like you can sell your line 6 for about 150 bucks on craigslist. I would save some more money, like 300 and then buy a decent amp. No amp you can buy new or used for 100 bucks is going to sound any better than your current amp. When you can spend 300+ on a used amp, then you will actually have a decent upgrade for your spider. Not sure of your needs, as far as wattage, but there are number of decent amps of all genres in the 300-500 range.

I can get that much? Huh, I may just do that. I don't even use it so I won't have to worry about that. I also don't need very high wattage, but it would probably be good since my band's lead guitarist owns the same amp as me, and will probably be getting a quality guitar before a quality amp.
Quote by Chetbango

Yea, plus one to this.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
crate v5
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Thats a waste of money considering you already have a spider. Its not gonna be much of a difference. Honestly I would save up if I were you.

Out of those I like the tone of the cube best.
Pignose 7100
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
OK, so should I just sell it and use that money for effects/new guitar and then get a guitar amp with about $200-$300 saved up? Or should I just save the money I get from selling it and put it towards a new amp?
Amp is at least 80% of your tone. Sell it, save up more money, buy a decent amp. Forget upgrading your guitar until you have an amp worth playing a decent guitar through. A Gibson Les Paul and a First Act are going to sound similar (obviously teh Gibson will sound a bit better) through any "multi effects" amp you use, simply because it reprocesses the signal you send in so many times.

Buy a good amp, it's not as satisfying as having a new guitar to hold... but a much better decision.
Quote by ZanasCross
Amp is at least 80% of your tone. Sell it, save up more money, buy a decent amp. Forget upgrading your guitar until you have an amp worth playing a decent guitar through. A Gibson Les Paul and a First Act are going to sound similar (obviously teh Gibson will sound a bit better) through any "multi effects" amp you use, simply because it reprocesses the signal you send in so many times.

Buy a good amp, it's not as satisfying as having a new guitar to hold... but a much better decision.

Ok, what amp should I get in the $200-300 range then? Would a bass amp be better than guitar, or should I have an actual guitar amp?
Find a website that sells all sorts of gear. Do a search for amps in that price range and READ about them. Find ones that suit your needs. For instance, do you plan on playing strictly metal? Will there be a lot of blues coming out in your playing? Etc... then come back here and read reviews on teh models and makes that meet your needs. No one can tell you anything that will be for certain for you. YOU have to do the research.

The reviews on here are second to none, as far as I can tell. I've had very very good returns after investing some time into reading and evaluating them. I'd recommend you do the same.
Quote by Alex Vik
Ok, what amp should I get in the $200-300 range then? Would a bass amp be better than guitar, or should I have an actual guitar amp?

Do you have a bass amp? If you do not, and you primarily play bass, then you should really buy a bass amp. If you are looking for a guitar amp, answer the common questions so we know what to recommend.

Genre: Bands with tone you want to sound similar to?

Use: Practice amp, live shows in a band, practice in your room with your parents in the next room, or a soundproofed rehearsal type space etc...?

skill level?

budget?

Location?
Last edited by Chetbango at Mar 24, 2009,
you never said what kind of tones you need.
get a cheap like 5w tube amp? it will sound better than anything else you're going to get.

Quote by ZanasCross
Find a website that sells all sorts of gear. Do a search for amps in that price range and READ about them. Find ones that suit your needs. For instance, do you plan on playing strictly metal? Will there be a lot of blues coming out in your playing? Etc... then come back here and read reviews on teh models and makes that meet your needs. No one can tell you anything that will be for certain for you. YOU have to do the research.

The reviews on here are second to none, as far as I can tell. I've had very very good returns after investing some time into reading and evaluating them. I'd recommend you do the same.

i agree zanas people have good GEAR reviews on here.... album reviews are another thing...
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by Chetbango
Do you have a bass amp? If you do not, and you primarily play bass, then you should really buy a bass amp. If you are looking for a guitar amp, answer the common questions so we know what to recommend.

Genre: Bands with tone you want to sound similar to?

Use: Practice amp, live shows in a band, practice in your room with your parents in the next room, or a soundproofed rehearsal type space etc...?

skill level?

budget?

Location?

Of course, the bass amp I have now is in m sig.

Genre: Metallica stuff (Yes, I'm including the Load/Reload stuff)

Use: Mainly practice amp, but live amp for our lead guitarist if he doesn't change his amp by our first show (he's got a Spider as well, and might be getting an $800 Epi Les Paul soon)

Skill Level: A little better than a clueless beginner I'd say.

Budget: $200-$300

Location: Bel Air, MD. Don't know what that's got to do with anything though.
Quote by Alex Vik
Of course, the bass amp I have now is in m sig.

Genre: Metallica stuff (Yes, I'm including the Load/Reload stuff)

Use: Mainly practice amp, but live amp for our lead guitarist if he doesn't change his amp by our first show (he's got a Spider as well, and might be getting an $800 Epi Les Paul soon)

Skill Level: A little better than a clueless beginner I'd say.

Budget: $200-$300

Location: Bel Air, MD. Don't know what that's got to do with anything though.

The location is so people can check your local craigslist. Buying used gives you about twice the amp or better for the same money, so it is often a very good way to go. Tube amps are pretty cheap to fix and overall are quite robust.

Well, if you sell your Line 6, and add about another hundy to your budget you could get a Marshall combo. It could do quite well on earlier Metallica sounds. Click Here

Some people say these are real nice for an all around rock amp Click here

Those are just a couple of suggestions, I am no expert on amps, I only know a little about Marshalls and Fenders. I am sure other people will have better suggestions for getting that Metallica sound on a budget.
although this might sound crazy, just keep the spider. it's an okay practice amp, and it sounds like that's all you need for right now. save up and buy the classic 30, and once you have that, you can sell the spider to fund a new guitar purchase.

OR just leave the spider at home, i bought an 8 inch combo and left it under the counter at work (dairy queen) and i would play when no customers were in. i could do anything from clean to metal (admittedly not that great) but it was convenient for work.
Seriously the vypyr is the best practice amp ever created. It really sounds amazing and its only 100 dollars. I wouldn't recommend it if you already have a spider though. Vypyr's are spiders but better. Not a HUGE difference, but the peavey is awsome. Maybe you should get a small tube amp. Ive never had one so IDK how tubes sound, but supposedly they are really good.