I just started playin bass yesterday. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or anything for a beginner. Also I haven't actually got my bass yet, my neighbor has one that's his son's but his son isn't there or using it, so he's letting me borrow it. I'm lookin at two right now. Both on MF,

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traben-Array-4String-Bass?sku=512053

or

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-4-AC-BXP-4String-Bass?sku=511400

Any input on those would be greatly appreciated as well.
I'm not a big fan of the traben, but the Peavey milennium is a good starter bass.

So what is your price range? If you are looking a basses in that price range, you could also look at Ibanez. However, my best advice is to take your budget to a local shop and start trying out things in your price range, including used. The FAQ at the top of the forum is a good resource.

Also remember you are going to need a bass amp as well and a good strap, and a cord.
I'm not really sure what my price range is yet. And I went to Guitar Center a few weeks ago, didn't play any because someone else was using the amps while I was there. I'm sorta lookin for something that is good for beginners, but I wont have to replace RIGHT away once I progress. Right now I'm playing with the Fender Squier starter bass (that comes with the Rumble 15w amp) Which Ibanez did you have in mind?
The SR and GSR series about both solid starter bass lines that will take you pretty far. I actually got my SR800 for about 400 USD and its been a great bass all round.
Quote by Bass_gurl84
I'm not really sure what my price range is yet. And I went to Guitar Center a few weeks ago, didn't play any because someone else was using the amps while I was there. I'm sorta lookin for something that is good for beginners, but I wont have to replace RIGHT away once I progress. Right now I'm playing with the Fender Squier starter bass (that comes with the Rumble 15w amp) Which Ibanez did you have in mind?

Do you like the feel of the Squier (I'm guessing it's either a Jazz or P bass). If you do, why not get the uprated version of it, they're called the Classic Vibe series and the Vintage Modified series.
It's a P-bass. And it's alright. But it's got a single passive pickup, and a friend of mine who's got an Ibanez (also just started playin a few months ago) that has active pickups, he said i'd be better off with active than passive. Any ideas on that? Btw, what is the difference between jazz and p bass?
The main difference is between the pickups. A jazz bass by nature of its pups configuration is a bit more versatile and to some people, more modern sound. A precision or P bass is a split humbucker and is punchy and more vintage sounding--great for alternative, R & B and punk.

The precision has a thicker neck than a jazz as well.

They are both equally good when starting out--it just depends on the tonal quality that you are looking for, which is why its good to try out a variety of basses before landing on one as your own. I started out on a Precision bass clone and have both active and passive basses. Each serves a different purpose sound wise. I love active basses, but nothing sounds like a Precision bass.
Quote by Bass_gurl84
It's a P-bass. And it's alright. But it's got a single passive pickup, and a friend of mine who's got an Ibanez (also just started playin a few months ago) that has active pickups, he said i'd be better off with active than passive. Any ideas on that? Btw, what is the difference between jazz and p bass?

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_guitar_buying_guide/precision_bass_jazz_bass.html

There's the difference. I wouldnt say active preamps and/or pickups are 'better'. Some people like the simple nature of the passive while others enjoy the range of actives. I wouldnt get TOO bogged down at the start with choosing active or passive. I'd probably look towards a bass that felt comfortable and a bass you wish to pick up and play everyday.
the one want to pick and play everyday is the Peavey. while i didn't really get to play at GC, i did get to "hold" and mess around with the Peavey, and LOVED the feel of it.
A few of the forum regulars own or have owned Peaveys and really loved them. One of the other mods Deleriumbassist has one and it was his main bass for quite some time.
Thanks. now, any tips on how to get started really? I've been watchin video's on youtube and stuff. But mostly all i'm findin are slap bass videos. And personally i don't think i'm ready for slap bass. usually when i play, i use my thumb or my first and middle fingers. And i can't really find many things about that.
First off--welcome to the bass forum. If you have any questions regarding technique, bass gear etc post away, someone is bound to have your answer.

A teacher, even for a limited time is a great way to get a start in the right direction. If a teacher is not in the budget, a good book to get is the Hal Leonard Bass Method series. The 3 volume version will take you from "what is this thing?" to beginning slap and funk techniques.
ok, thanks alot. i did just find a video on Youtube, "teaching" you how to play with or without you by U2. it's actually very easy, HAHA but it's all on the E string. haha hardest part is the rhythm..(stayin in time)
Actually that is the hardest part--which brings me to good point--get a good loud metronome and use it.
They have one online you can use. I have it book marked, I was tryin to use my foot and tap it to the beat, but my son kept messin me up HAHA. still didnt' do TOO bad for someone who's only been playin 2 days now. If i could just get my pinky do to what i wanted i'd be fine. And yes i know that comes with practice. hehe
i have a similar problem... im on a low budget and i dont know which bass to start with... some of my friends say start guitar first, and some say that if i want to play bass just start there... i've never played in my life but REALLY want to start

looking for ideas on how to start and were from the best of UG
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I go from freefaller or soldier to run over raccoon.

My FanFiction