Ok so here goes:

My price Range is $600 or less for some kind of decent half stack.

I like what I've read about the B-52 LS-100 Head, but no music store around here has one. Does anyone have any opinions. I play various styles like Rise Against, Iron Maiden, The Offspring, AC/DC Ozzy, the usual fare.... but mostly just noodling around with friends. I do palm muted (chunky? i guess) stuff.

I really just need something that will work for garage band stuff and the occasional performance.

Also, If the head is worth it, should I get the 4X12 cab that comes with it, or is the Behringer BG412H worth it for only $230.(I could save a little)

Finally any alternatives are welcomed.
There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. - A.J
------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slashs_#1_fan to join.
yeahhh same with me in a couple months im gonna have 600 bucks and im gonna be looking for a half stack (or a full one) for metal
i was just about to make a post but im gonna chuck it in this one
Jackson JS1 Dinky
Livingstone 15W
Behringer Super Metal Pedal

No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.
Ampeg VH140c. One of the only good stacks you might find for that budget.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
blackstars and blackhearts are often recommended on here. i have not played either but have heard great revies. check youtube for vids and go play em to try em out. they are all tube stacks at relatively low prices for the quality and all
Blackheart makes some good ones, but if i were you, i would look at the peavey windsor half-stack, $500, 120 watt all tube head
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
yeah man the b-52 is FANTASTIC for the price... 3 channels of awesomeness thats about the only one I've seen thats worth buying... unless you wanna check out bugera, but I've heard they have dependability issues
A 600 dollar combo would be just as good as a halfstack.Realistically,a 100 watt tube halfstack is overkill unless you're playing pretty large gigs,and they aren't portable at all.My advice would be to look on the used market for a nice combo amp that would normally be beyond your price range,that'd be your best bang for your buck.You'd still have plenty of volume and tone,but it wouldn't take up a ton of room and you'd be able to transport it much easier.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Raijouta
Ampeg VH140c. One of the only good stacks you might find for that budget.

Thanks, I like what I see. I do want tube if possible, just for the customization possibilities. I have a connection a steady stream of cheap mesa boogie tubes.
There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. - A.J
#3 member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slashs_#1_fan to join.
skip the LS and find a used AT(read sig)
and a cab off craigslist
the cab wont be great but it should suffice for a little bit
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by justlivin at Mar 23, 2009,
so what kind of wattage are you looking for? blackheart has affordable amps that i hear sound great (you can find demos on youtube) that range from 1 to 15 W (maybe more). Also, a lot of people talk about the orange tiny terror. it goes from 7 to 15 W. And then there's the valve junior.

Other than that, you can try a peavey windsor or a valveking halfstack.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
No, that amp will be crap...now time for the typical UG response to all these threads.

Why do you want a half-stack? For the money you spend on a cheap and most likely crappy half-stack, you could get a pretty good combo...

Now for my recommendations of amps:
Peavey Classic 30 (getting one of these used can save you ****loads)
B-52 At112 or 212
Possibly a Bugera 333

out of all of these, the C30 would fit you the best imo.
Quote by Pr0gNut
A 600 dollar combo would be just as good as a halfstack.Realistically,a 100 watt tube halfstack is overkill unless you're playing pretty large gigs,and they aren't portable at all.My advice would be to look on the used market for a nice combo amp that would normally be beyond your price range,that'd be your best bang for your buck.You'd still have plenty of volume and tone,but it wouldn't take up a ton of room and you'd be able to transport it much easier.

I completely agree, I was looking at the new Peavey Vyper tube 60, as well.
so what kind of wattage are you looking for? blackheart has affordable amps that i hear sound great (you can find demos on youtube) that range from 1 to 15 W (maybe more). Also, a lot of people talk about the orange tiny terror. it goes from 7 to 15 W. And then there's the valve junior.

I Blackheart Little Giant and it just wasn't loud enough to get over the drums.
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
Blackheart makes some good ones, but if i were you, i would look at the peavey windsor half-stack, $500, 120 watt all tube head

No, I hated the Windsor. The cleans were non existent. This is one amp that music stores around hear actually have {facepalm}
Quote by EvanRice52
I completely agree, I was looking at the new Peavey Vyper tube 60, as well.

Yeah,a HS seems like a good idea until you have to lug a cab that weighs 100 pounds or more to gigs and back home every week

My combo amp weighs a lot,about 90 pounds,but it's still a huge relief when transporting just because of the size and hassle free set up.Just put it on it's stand and it's good to go.

You can find a lot of nice tube combos on the new and used market depending on your styles and what you want out of the amp,it's worth looking around to see what's out there.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

You can get a Randall RX120RH half stack for $550. I havent heard anything about it but I think it would be worth checking out.
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
I would say go a little more for the AT-100, i've got it and it is worth the upgrade. However, it is overkill for the halfstack in hindsight. If I didn't get it used from my friend i probably wouldn't have gotten it. but the tube is worth the upgrade, find something used.

However, combo is the way to go. for 600 a combo will do fine, get a nice used tube mesa or something, maybe a fender deville 4x10? check craigs list and you'll find some Gold.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by JackWhite333
Peavey Windsor?

A boooo..........

TS,already said that he hated that amp when he tried it.

According to Musician's Friend, the single best-selling guitar amp, of any size at any price, happens to be the Line 6 HD150 head with Spider III 4x12 cab.

Now, what's interesting here is, this amp is pretty much universally panned in all the guitar discussion groups. You couldn't find a more widely hated amplifier. Yet MF sells more of these than they sell 15W bedroom practice amps. And this half stack has been outselling everything else (and I mean, EVERYTHING else) for several years now.

My take is, a lot of people really like this thing, but nobody admits liking it because everyone will diss them for it. My advice is, try one out. If you're like most people, you'll be glad to own it. Post pictures of a tube amp you claim you bought instead, and everyone will respect you.
^or the fact that shops love to sells these things because it's easy to manipulate some one who doesn't know better and plus they make mad money on those things. Also, never trust "reviews" or "most bought" list on websites. Most of the time it's just the companies paying the sellers to provide more marketing towards their products.
A good combo amp > a poor man's half stack amp.

Just give it some thought.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by EvanRice52
I Blackheart Little Giant and it just wasn't loud enough to get over the drums.

Did the tone work for you though?
The Little Giant is the 5/3 watt if I'm not mistaken, you could try a Handsome Devil 15/7 watt.
Quote by phank
According to Musician's Friend, the single best-selling guitar amp, of any size at any price, happens to be the Line 6 HD150 head with Spider III 4x12 cab.

Now, what's interesting here is, this amp is pretty much universally panned in all the guitar discussion groups. You couldn't find a more widely hated amplifier. Yet MF sells more of these than they sell 15W bedroom practice amps. And this half stack has been outselling everything else (and I mean, EVERYTHING else) for several years now.

My take is, a lot of people really like this thing, but nobody admits liking it because everyone will diss them for it. My advice is, try one out. If you're like most people, you'll be glad to own it. Post pictures of a tube amp you claim you bought instead, and everyone will respect you.

hahahahaha this post is great.

In all seriousness though, get a combo, you will love the choice in the long run due to better Quality:Money ratio and the ease of transport.
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by phank

No, it's crap.

It's the best selling amp because it's cheap, looks cool and has a badass name. Also they're mainly bought by know-nothing parents for their spoilt kids because little Jimmy absolutely neeeeeeeeds a half stack because all the other Guitar Hero graduate kids will pick on him if he doesn't have one and if he doesn't get one it means his parents hate him and he's going to hold his breath until he dies.

Doesn't change the fact that it sounds like poo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 24, 2009,
I'd look into Bugera...if you do your research about the problems they have and have an amp tech look it over they are great amps for the price. Our old guitarist had a 6262 and he soldered the clip that goes out on these amps by himself in a half hour, checked all the connections, and tightened the screw on the ground wire and his amp is going strong after a year of gigging. That head will definitely be my next purchase.
No, it's crap.

It's the best selling amp because it's cheap, looks cool and has a badass name. Also they're mainly bought by know-nothing parents for their spoilt kids because little Jimmy absolutely neeeeeeeeds a half stack...
The denial I see here is amazing. The Line 6 half stack looks just like several others (big black boxes) that are less expensive, such as the Raven, the B-52, the Marshall MG, a couple of Randalls, etc. So it's not the price. And if the parents are ignorant, and they all look alike, why buy the 8th cheapest item?

or the fact that shops love to sells these things because it's easy to manipulate some one who doesn't know better and plus they make mad money on those things. Also, never trust "reviews" or "most bought" list on websites. Most of the time it's just the companies paying the sellers to provide more marketing towards their products.
And here we have denial of a more fundamental flavor: If the statistics say it's popular, the statistics themselves must be lies. It's not that the buyers are all ignorant, it's that for some reason MF has decided to misrepresent this one amp. And oh yeah, the hundreds of satisfied customers are all fictional!

Well, whatever. The fact is, this universally detested amplifier is the best seller, and the customers are satisfied. I've watched these get trundled out the door of GC in a steady stream.

Doesn't change the fact that it sounds like poo.
Also interesting, amp testers have found that it sounds just fine, UNTIL the listener is told what he's listening to. THEN it sounds like poo! In fact, the listener knew that without the need to listen at all. He read it on the internet! EVERYONE says it sounds awful, so it must sound awful.

To me, it sounds just about like every other SS amp in its price range, but has better modeling and a lot more (not very great) built-in effects. Which are admittedly tempting for beginners to abuse. But as we can see, it's the worst possible amp for impressing the snob wannabes.
^^

No.

I got screwed into playing one of these at a show once and it was absolutely terrible. This was LONG before I ever joined these forums or had any predisposition about Line 6s. They're just NOT good amps. They're cheaply made, sound like cold, lifeless computers, and look cheesy.

Just because it's the best selling amp doesn't mean it's amazing by any means. I'm sure GC sells thousands of Squier starter packs and Epiphone LP Special IIs every month -- that doesn't make them good. Kids buy Line 6s because they don't know any better really. They probably buy the more expensive Spider III because they don't want their friends to know they have the cheapest half stack on the block.

I used to have a Marshall MG half stack, and IMO it absolutely smashes any sound the Spider III can create.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Last edited by kschaef at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by kschaef
^^

No.

I got screwed into playing one of these at a show once and it was absolutely terrible. This was LONG before I ever joined these forums or had any predisposition about Line 6s. They're just NOT good amps. They're cheaply made, sound like cold, lifeless computers, and look cheesy.

Just because it's the best selling amp doesn't mean it's amazing by any means. I'm sure GC sells thousands of Squier starter packs and Epiphone LP Special IIs every month -- that doesn't make them good. Kids buy Line 6s because they don't know any better really. They probably buy the more expensive Spider III because they don't want their friends to know they have the cheapest half stack on the block.

I used to have a Marshall MG half stack, and IMO it absolutely smashes any sound the Spider III can create.

Agreed. I too own a MG...my backup now. I never cared for the Spiders...they just sound too digital to me.
A good 600$ half stack goes against realistic economics. Yea there there are half stacks to be had for this price or less. Take something small like the epi Vjr its 250$ for a 5 watt head and single 12" speaker cab. But to make it a decent amp you end up replacing most of the amps cheap stock chinese parts. So look at the math for a much larger amp. 4 good celestion speakers are gonna run you 99$ ea and you still dont have the cab to put em in. So just the cab is gonna run you close to your budget. A decent head unit alone should be 600$. Whats the point of being loud if you sound like poo. I know 2 guitar players with economy half stacks they both sound terrible, pedals, tweaking the amps endlessly makes no difference. But neither would admit it was because they bought the cheapest half stacks at sam ash.

The reason amps like spider, MG and ravens sell so well is simply because they are cheap. There are many consumers who always go with the cheapest product no matter what, quality isnt an issue only price. And there are many who like mr seagull pointed out feel some primal urge to have the biggest peni....sorry amp. For them image is more important substance. So if they can get a huge amp for the same price as a smaller less manly amp then thats what they are gonna buy. Its big and loud and was on sale whats not to like. And of course yes MF GC etc all all are gonna bend the truth a little. They arent going to post the bad reviews just the good ones. Same with guitar magazines. A good portion of their money comes from advertisers. So if on 1 page is review saying just how crappy the spider amps are and the next page is expensive full page ad for spider amps. Guess what next month there wont be those advertising dollars. Have you ever really seen a bad review in a guitar magazine? So just because spider is the biggest seller doesnt make it a good amp its because it has the most perceived value. You give a person a choice of a single channel 100w amp no FX (windsor) or a 12 channel 100w amp loaded with FX (spider) for roughly the same price which you think they are gonna chose, especially when theres a salesman leaning on em to buy the higher profit margin spider.