a fuzz sounds fuzzy, if you want to play metal you want distortion

/thread
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
What nutinpwnsgibson said, he knows his sh*t and if he sigs this, I will do absolutely nothing other than give him my love and respect.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
What nutinpwnsgibson said, he knows his sh*t and if he sigs this, I will do absolutely nothing other than give him my love and respect.

you dirty slut....

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by shadow__666
What nutinpwnsgibson said, he knows his sh*t and if he sigs this, I will do absolutely nothing other than give him my babies.

periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Is there?

I'm wondering which would fit me best (if there is a difference)

what do you play? hendrix used a fuzz (i hope lol *prepares flame shield just in case*)
I believe that fuzz is characterized my random-order harmonics, and that distortion is more exact. I could be wrong, but I think that is at least partially the case.

(And, I welcome myself back, after a 1+ year absence from UG)
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Fuzz is also kind of a distortion sound. But it's a unique sound. You'll understand what it is if you try some fuzz effects.

If u have a little knowledge about electronics, try to build some of your own and experience them. They are pretty easy to build. I've made about 6 of them.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Well that's the thing, distortion sounds fuzzy too, so I need halpz

eh, well distortion sounds more crunchy than fuzz, ill give links to some sort of cilps

more of a fuzz sound (not a very good one, but..): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNYBSW6sf0Q

more compressed, crunchy, tight distortion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhUQNzQeeY&feature=related
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by YA89
Fuzz is also kind of a distortion sound. But it's a unique sound. You'll understand what it is if you try some fuzz effects.

If u have a little knowledge about electronics, try to build some of your own and experience them. They are pretty easy to build. I've made about 6 of them.

x2 on that

I love building electronics, especially guitar related projects, live the BYOC kits and whatnot. you really do learn a lot doing it, and it is not really that hard. The soldering is the biggest thing, and once you have that down (I do) it is a lot of fun.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by YA89

I was considering getting a BYOC. It comes with all the stuff, but is it easy to do? Is all your doing is some soldering here and there? If it's nothing to complicated I might get a BYOC.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

If you sig that, I will give you my babies.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
you're gonna want distortion
your weapon pedal is a distortion
a big muff & fuzz faces & fuzz factories are fuzz
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
I was considering getting a BYOC. It comes with all the stuff, but is it easy to do? Is all your doing is some soldering here and there? If it's nothing to complicated I might get a BYOC.

It's pretty easy to do, the instructions are all step-by-step. Solder A here, B there, all marked on the pcb. Hardest part (for me) was getting the wiring to be neat.

I didn't really learn a lot, but it as a fun thing to do over a weekend. Sounds pretty good too
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
eh, well distortion sounds more crunchy than fuzz, ill give links to some sort of cilps

more of a fuzz sound (not a very good one, but..): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNYBSW6sf0Q

more compressed, crunchy, tight distortion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhUQNzQeeY&feature=related

Thank you. I kind of like the fuzz (vs the MT-2 anyways )

I play a lot of metal, so I need a high gain dist/fuzz pedal, but I also want it to do medium gain and low gain and be able to do face melting leads.

I was looking at the Catalinbread V8 and the MI Audio Crunch Box, are these right for me.

(If you REALLY want to know *some* bands like, check out my profile)
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-

If u get kits you only have to do soldering. There's nothing to worry about if u can identify the parts(in most of the kits they have even pics to identify those parts).

I've never tried a kit before but I've seen them. It's a nice experience to build some of the easy pedals and get a nice sound.

WARNING - If u start you can't stop!
To think of fuzz, think of Matt Bellamy's live tone. (Which is a gorgeous tone imo)
To think of distortion... think of just about any metal band
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Only ****ty solid-state distortion and poorly dialed-in tube distortion sounds fuzzy
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
A Crunch Box probably won't have enough gain, don't know about the V8.

Have you considered an EHX Metal Muff?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Shinozoku
Only ****ty solid-state distortion and poorly dialed-in tube distortion sounds fuzzy

Hmm not really - the 6505's gain can sound really fuzzy with a decent EQ.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

To shadow_666

Yes, I have very much considered a metal muff, but can it do lowish gain as well?

EDIT:

Do you think the BYOC 10 band EQ can stand up to the MXR one?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Last edited by DiSTuRBeD -26- at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by Yngwi3
Hmm not really - the 6505's gain can sound really fuzzy with a decent EQ.

i usually refer to that as fizzy

fuzzy- just like a fuzz face, complex, sounds good with single coils, veeery loose

fizzy- usually from too much gain, too much high high end
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Hmm... okay yeah I can understand that.

Edit: Also 5.6kth post haha.

Man that went fast... I post too much
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Mar 23, 2009,