I searched but didn't find any topics on the subject.

I need an amp, preferably under $500, that is good and loud enough to be played with a band. Preferably Tube.

Thanks for the help, I'm new to bass amps.
honestly tube amps aren't as important to tone as they are with guitar amps. That being said I play a tube amp. I love it. The one I own is the cheapest one i can think of is the one I own and it's $900 though. and that's just the head. no cab. You could try to get one used. I hear they go for about $400-$500 used.

EDIT: forgot to mention I own the peavey vb-2 head. It's currently not working after less than 1 1/2 yrs but it could very well just be a blown tube or something like that so until i get the diagnosis i still stand by this amp.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 23, 2009,
Okay that was one of the things I was wondering, if tube matters or not. Because it does for guitar. I might go for a SS amp.
The only bass tube amp I've played in my friend ampeg svtpro-4, absolutely ****ing amaizng, then again, it's like 1200 bucks. With $500, you have plenty of options for an amp that'll suit your needs, but tube is out of the question.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
The only bass tube amp I've played in my friend ampeg svtpro-4, absolutely ****ing amaizng, then again, it's like 1200 bucks. With $500, you have plenty of options for an amp that'll suit your needs, but tube is out of the question.

This, tube amps sound great, but come at a price.

Look into this...

Peavey TNT 115

It can go from a little thin tone for when your just messing around, to a big bassy boom that'll punch you in the face. Only real downside is its HEAVY
!!! the specs say 85 lb. but i swear its more around 110...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I was actually just looking at that amp. I have to get it on Axe music, though. Doesn't ship to Canada on MF. But that's okay because it's $50 cheaper.
I always buy peavey products. when i joined the band i'm in they had a 130watt peavey for me to use. then i bought a 60 watt peavey that was very similiar for home practice. When i went out looking for a head i played many different brands and still ended up going with peavey. Great amps. built like tanks. Like I said earlier, unless when i take my amp in and they say it's something major or a manufacturing fault that lead to it I stick by peavey all the way.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu