Hey, so my 6month warranty on my 6505 just expired and wouldnt you know it: its dead. I was playing a show last month and about 4 songs into our set the sound started to fade. Eventually it quit outputing sound all together. I replaced the fuse in it and just replaced all of the tubes in it. Still nothing.

I am currently running the head with a Marshall 1960 cab and the cab runs fine with our other guitarists Krank head. So rather than spending alot of money to get someone to diagnose the problem I figured Id ask the all mighty, all knowing UG community for help.

What do you think is wrong with the head? Ive run out of ideas. Idk if this will help at all but the green light on standby doesnt work anymore either.

Quote by Moggan13
Sig it and i'll give you a blowjob
Hmm :// Very strange. Are you sure you've checked all the fuses?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Unless Im missing a fuse spot, ive only seen the 1 fuse socket.
Quote by Moggan13
Is the amp getting power? When you flip the standby switch, do the valves glow at all?
If the answer is no...

Tried changing kettle leads? If you don't have another one, check the fuse in that.
There are more fuses inside the amp but I would not recommend venturing for those.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

^ The HT fuse isn't too hard to get to.

But if the power tubes are glowing, then it ain't the problem.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
^ The HT fuse isn't too hard to get to.

But if the power tubes are glowing, then it ain't the problem.

Yeah if the valves glow, then it's not a fuse problem.

It may not be hard to get to, but I know that I would not be confident to go raking through the guts of a high powered amp to find it, so I'm not going to advocate anyone else doing it
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by BUSTEDlip8
sounds like your head is the problem

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
The tubes are fine, they're getting light to them and such. Sockets are all lined up correctly. I wish I could check the inner fuses right now, but the amp is in the practice room which is an hour away. Ill pick it up later in the week
Quote by Moggan13
Quote by Yngwi3
Yeah if the valves glow, then it's no problem.

It may not be hard to get to, but I know that I would not be confident to go raking through the guts of a high powered amp to find it, so I'm not going to advocate anyone else doing it

on a similar note, last week i discovered a way to remove all the hair from your body.

fo free.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
on a similar note, last week i discovered a way to remove all the hair from your body.

fo free.

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

A blown fuse always tells you that something else is wrong... go get it checked out
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL
A blown fuse always tells you that something else is wrong... go get it checked out

He's not blown a fuse..

Very strange... have you checked the obvious things? new speaker cable, volume, different cabinet e.t.c?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
He's not blown a fuse..

Very strange... have you checked the obvious things? new speaker cable, volume, different cabinet e.t.c?

I just read up to the "I replaced the fuse in it and just replaced all of the tubes in it. Still nothing."
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL
I just read up to the "I replaced the fuse in it and just replaced all of the tubes in it. Still nothing."

np
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
He's not blown a fuse..

Cables are fine, volume is set to about half. Like I said before, our other guitarists head works just fine with the cab, cables, etc.
Quote by Moggan13
Very, very strange. Afraid my (limited) knowledge ends about here... Someone else may be able to help but in all honesty, it sounds quite difficult to diagnose without actually being there and knowing what you're looking for.

Hope it sorts out man
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

the sound fading out means it has zero to do w/ fuses. fuses are either on or off, not half-way...

Was it making crackly/popping sounds on the way down or not?

Could be a multitude of things...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
My 6505 is messed up too but since this thread is active; can anyone send me a schematic for the 6505 head since I can't seem to find one online for the life of me.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
My 6505 is messed up too but since this thread is active; can anyone send me a schematic for the 6505 head since I can't seem to find one online for the life of me.

email Peavey, they'll send you a PDF
Quote by kcdakrt

Just so you know, Peavey offers a 90 day warranty on the tubes in a new amp and a 5 year service warranty.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Thescottsman
The tubes are fine, they're getting light to them and such. Sockets are all lined up correctly. I wish I could check the inner fuses right now, but the amp is in the practice room which is an hour away. Ill pick it up later in the week

It is possible you have a bad preamp tube or a microphonic preamp tube
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It is possible you have a bad preamp tube or a microphonic preamp tube

Not the way it was dying slowly. To me that says "progressive failure", which would be something like a capacitor dying, etc.

TO THE TS: how confident are you with a voltmeter?
Quote by kcdakrt

Yeah he could have a bad power supply. Thats what happened with my Marshall Valvestate. It starts going bad and giving you this bullsh*t tone until eventually you can turn it up all the way and there's no sound.

To me it sounds like a bad preamp tube or a bad power supply. The fuses and power tubes should be fine since you just changed them.

Regardless, i'd call peavey.
My Rig.
Destroyed.. UGH
Ibanez RG321MH w/ EMG 81/85, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster
--
1967 Fender Princeton
Boss TU-2 --> Boss MT-2 --> Maxon OD9 -->Boss DD-6
--
Past Gear:
5150 Blockletter, Avatar 412, Vox AC30, ISP Decimator.
Quote by Van Noord
Just so you know, Peavey offers a 90 day warranty on the tubes in a new amp and a 5 year service warranty.

If you bought the amp new Peavey will take care of you, they have great customer service. I even heard of people droping thier amps and peavey still warrentys them!
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by DLrocket89

TO THE TS: how confident are you with a voltmeter?

None whatsoever haha. I've got a friend whos been a peavy amp owner for about 20 years now, Ill call him and see if he can check it out. I think Ill also give peavy a call tonight in regards to this incident. I appreciate you guys helping me.
Quote by Moggan13
Sounds just like a problem my friend got with his amp (wasnt a peavey) and that was an internal problem that only the manufacturer could sort out, unless someone comes up with a simple 'why didnt i think of that!' solution, dont risk anything and talk to you're shop about it. They might be some help, and sometimes will go through the process of sending it to peavey/supplier if nessissary.
Last edited by vitchb at Mar 24, 2009,