I couldn't find any reviews of it in the reviews section, so I figured I'd ask the forum.

Simply put, I'm looking at ESP LTD EC's for my next guitar as I'm planning to get a Les Paul of some sort, and they make low-priced ones that generally have decent quality. Plus my band seems to be going in a metal direction. It's HH with coil-tap, satin finish(The relicing is meh, but I'm not buying this guitar for looks, so I don't much care about that) and the neck, according to a friend who owns an ESP with the same neck profile, isn't overly-thin like the RG's that I so dearly dislike the feel of. It seems like the right guitar for what I need/want.

On the other hand, a friend of mine who has played it said the tone wasn't that great, which has me a little concerned. I'd check local shops, but the local GC doesn't have ESP's in yet(Though I asked and they'll email me when they do), and all the family-owned shops are either invested in the local area's large jazz scene or the 1960's British Invasion music, and as such don't stock the more modern brands. So I was hoping I could get some of UG's thoughts on it. Also, if it does have bad tone, is that just limited to the pickups, because if so then nevermind, since, once I had the cash, I was planning to replace the stock pickups with Seymour Duncans anyway.

As always the advice is much appreciated UG, as are any alternative recommendations, besides Epi LP's.(Their tone stock, which is how I'll be using it for a while, always sounded boxed-in to me, and I want to at least like it somewhat before replacing the pickups)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 23, 2009,
i was thinking about getting the same guitar, but the EC-400vf is only $150 more, and it's loaded with SeymourDuncan Jb and '59 p'ups, but no coil tap
Quote by rogerneeb
i was thinking about getting the same guitar, but the EC-400vf is only $150 more, and it's loaded with SeymourDuncan Jb and '59 p'ups, but no coil tap

Exactly, but the coil-tap is a big thing for me, plus my uncle did some repairs to my strat, so I know he can solder and would likely do so for free, and the pickups and the 256 are only about $10 more than the 400VF if you buy them individually if my estimations are right(Which, if they're anything like my currency conversions, it's probably not), which I think is more than fair for coil-tap if the tonewoods are fine.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 23, 2009,
i have an ltd mh-400 with emg pickups.. sounds like something god would play
i've got a boner for murder
Quote by freak180
i have an ltd mh-400 with emg pickups.. sounds like something god would play

haha...

well speaking of God...
im pretty sure He'd be like this:

only minus the helmet, and armor... the cape fits xD
I'd save up for the 400 series and have the pups wired for coil splitting once I had it.If you think about it,you pay a bit more but get a higher quality instrument that already has Duncan pups stock.All you'd have to do is add a push/pull pot and wire the pups for coil splitting,but just make sure that the duncans can be wired for coil splitting first (they most likely can,I'm just not 100% sure,so I refuse to say anything definite).

If that isn't an option you can look at brands like micheal kelly,fernandes,PRS (SE series),Ibanez (ART series,LP shape and a fatter neck than their RG and S models),or the tons of other brands that make LP style guitars.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I'd save up for the 400 series and have the pups wired for coil splitting once I had it.If you think about it,you pay a bit more but get a higher quality instrument that already has Duncan pups stock.All you'd have to do is add a push/pull pot and wire the pups for coil splitting,but just make sure that the duncans can be wired for coil splitting first (they most likely can,I'm just not 100% sure,so I refuse to say anything definite).

If that isn't an option you can look at brands like micheal kelly,fernandes,PRS (SE series),Ibanez (ART series,LP shape and a fatter neck than their RG and S models),or the tons of other brands that make LP style guitars.

Hmm...well, the only way to see if they're the four-conductor pickups is opening the back cavity, which I can't very well do on a store guitar.

Michael Kelly, despite what some've said of them, I've just never found one I liked, Fernandes, nobody sells them around here and I refuse to buy without trying, PRS SE Singlecut, at that point I'd just spend $650 on a Dillion copy which according to my guitar teacher who, until a few months ago, owned a 1959 Les Paul, is "a lot like a Gibson besides the name and origin", though again, try before buying. The ART series was a consideration, and I plan to try it out next time I go to a shop, but the ESP rang truer to me since it had the coil-tap.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 24, 2009,
damn, the LTD EC-400VF is no longer on guitarcenter or musiciansfriend, and now it's jacked up to over $600 everywhere else...damn
Save up and buy one of the EC-1000s, they are made in Japan I think so theyd have much better build quality.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The new EC-1000's are made in Indonesia, not Japan.

For $475, the EC-256 is a pretty good buy. It's all mahogany (neck & body, no maple cap) and plays decent. The pickups aren't terrible, but they aren't great either. I would just replace the bridge pup and leave the neck one in. Also, a shop that carries these should have a number of them in stock. The salesman I talked to offered to pull out about 8 of them to try out because I didn't quite like the one they had on the floor. Guitars at this price point can be hit & miss, where one can feel like crap and another can feel and play like butter.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Mar 25, 2009,
the '59 is a single conductor pickup, the JB is a four conductor pickup. It wouldn't be hard to mod the '59 to allow for coil splitting, though... I mean like... REALLY simple. it's a couple snips, a couple solders and you've got it. You just run the risk of ruining the windings.

Conversely you can just send it to duncan, they'll rewire it to four conductor for like 20 bucks.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
i have a viper 400 in sunburst, i couldnt ask for more out of it.
nuff said
Quote by rogerneeb
i'm pretty sure the '59 seymour duncan p'up can't be wired for coil tap...
Its available 4-conductor, why wouldn't it be splitable?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681
Its available 4-conductor, why wouldn't it be splitable?

it's available 4-cunducter as special order, the standard model has vintage style push-back braid.
Ah, I understand.

Still, such a thing does exist
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681
Ah, I understand.

Still, such a thing does exist

but it's probably not going to come stock in a guitar that isn't equipped with coil splits.
Quote by LedFender
haha...

well speaking of God...
im pretty sure He'd be like this:

only minus the helmet, and armor... the cape fits xD

lol sweet
i've got a boner for murder
I know this is an old thread, but I want to give my .02 about the awesomeness that is the LTD EC-256. I recently bought one off of Craigslist with an ESP case for less than $200 and in my opinion it is simply the best value in the used guitar market today! The moment I picked it up to play it I noticed that it had an unmistakable feel of quality to it. It feels like it was carved out of one solid piece of mahogany. Surprisingly, for as thin as it is at 1-5/8" thick it still has a remarkable heft to it at 8 lbs, 6 oz. Consider that most newer Gibson Les Pauls that are a full 2" thick now come in around the 8-1/2 lb range.

Most importantly, when I played the guitar unplugged it had an amazing resonance to it. An open 'C' chord just rang out for four or five seconds. When I finally did plug it in and played it amplified I was absolutely floored by how good such an inexpensive guitar could sound. The pickups have great articulation and the sustain is amazing. Plus, it has an ultra-cool looking relic'd appearance with a gorgeous AAA flame maple veneer top.

I've played this guitar now live several times and it never fails to impress me with how great it is. I keep going back to the build quality in my assessment of it because if I didn't know better I'd swear it cost in the four figures used. It's that good! The fact that it's on the thinner side and has the belly cut and cutaway contour are just extra touches that make an already great guitar better. Plus, it's got coil-tapping! Granted, it's not going to make you sell your Strats but in a live situation it's nice to be able to switch to that thinner single coil sound.

I really cannot say enough good things about the EC-256. It is my everyday guitar now and has been since the day I bought it. My more expensive Gibsons and Gretsch stay in their cases because the EC-256 gives me everything I'm looking for in a very comfortable package. You can't go wrong with this guitar!