hey guys i was just wondering if anyone knew if u increase speed when u skydive or if u stay at a constant speed the whole time.. for example would u be at the same speed after free falling 5 seconds apposed to 60 seconds? Its random but it got me thinking and i have no idea as i never did physics at school.. anyone know what would happen?
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
You'll max out at a terminal velocity based on your mass IIRC
also, obligatory google.com
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
You would fall exponentially faster until you reached terminal velocity (the speed at which gravity pulls you to the earth).

...I think. I didn't take physics either.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
you speed up slowly until you reach "terminal velocity" which depends on the air resistance

off the top of my head, I think terminal velocity for a human is around 200mph
awsumm.. thx guys
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
it depends. if you body is streamlined, you would fall faster. but if you spread your arms and legs, you'd fall slower. im not very good with physics partially because im not there yet in science but it all depends
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Quote by freedoms_stain
falling objects accelerate in earths gravity at 9.something meters per second.

███████████████████████████████████
Quote by tona_107

You will accelerate 9.8 m/s^2 per kg of mass.
yeah gravity pulls at 9.81 meters per second squared, and you would soon reach your terminal velocity and remain there.
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb
Quote by ttreat31

yes
Quote by ttreat31

Wrong, you will accelerate at that rate, regardless of your mass.

And you will reach a terminal velocity which occurs when the force of gravity equals the drag (air resistance), thus putting your body in dynamic equilibrium and no longer accelerating.

And just to settle any disputes about acceleration being independent from the mass...

In physics, gravitational acceleration is the acceleration of an object caused by the force of gravity from another object. In the absence of any other forces, any object will accelerate in a gravitational field at the same rate, regardless of the mass of the object. On the surface of the Earth, all objects fall with an acceleration of somewhere between 9.78 and 9.82 m/s² depending on latitude
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Last edited by bigwilly at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by ttreat31

big ****ing fail

you accelerate at 9.8 m/s^2 no matter what your mass is

terminal velocity is all about air resistance, it's a matter of surface area, not mass

all mass does is determine how much force your body has when it hits the ground(f=ma)

edit: my bad, I didn't see I was beaten to calling him out on it
Quote by bigwilly

And you will reach a terminal velocity which occurs when the force of gravity equals the drag (air resistance), thus putting your body in dynamic equilibrium and no longer accelerating.

right.
it's your kinetic energy that is dependent on mass.
Quote by bigwilly

You're right. I was thinking of net force. Fnet = ma. Since this is a "free fall" (technically not a free fall as there would be air resistance), we're only dealing with the acceleration of gravity.

If my mass is 80 kg, the net force (Fnet) down would be 9.8 x 80 = 784 N.

My mistake.
Last edited by ttreat31 at Mar 23, 2009,
Using a lower level derivation (there are more complex and accurate ways to determine this),

Terminal Velocity is sqrt(4mg/A)<---- Note: A = surface area, m = mass in kg, and g = 9.8 m/s/s
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by tona_107
Originally Posted by bigwilly
Wrong, you will accelerate at that rate, regardless of your mass. And you will reach a terminal velocity which occurs when the force of gravity equals the drag (air resistance), thus putting your body in dynamic equilibrium and no longer accelerating.
right.
it's your kinetic energy that is dependent on mass.

That^ So you can't give a set speed for a skydiver, as you'll fall faster if you make you're body more streamline.
Last edited by speeddemon93 at Mar 23, 2009,
You would accelerate at 9.81m/s/s until the the net force acting on you is 0 N, this is when the forces trying to slow you down are equal to the acceleration due to gravity.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
you will fall until air friction slows you down, and will fall a constant pace